Experimental Design B/C

gandhiji
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by gandhiji »

i got 1st place in the B division for this event, and i really dont know how.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

It's quite honestly nuts that they would use nuts in this event.

That's putting some teams at an unfair advantage over teams with people with allergies. And while it sounds like a cool experiment, making the experiment fun should come second to safety.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
tclme elmo
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

rfscoach wrote:
eyeball138 wrote:We wound up getting 17th, which is fine, but I have to say that that test was not good. They gave us a jar of iodine and 5 snack foods, and we watched the snack foods change color. On paper this sounds ok, but it was not. They gave us peanuts as a snack food, and one person who had an allergy was forced to leave. I just don't understand how nuts could be used ever in this event,especially at nationals.
It was one of our Fulton Science students who had to leave. We coaches and parents were livid when we found out. His parents take so many precautions to keep him safe and then the one place that you wouldn't think would be a danger he is confronted with peanuts. He had to go into another room while our other 2 students did the experiment, then they were sent into the room he was in to do the write up, never mind that they still could have had peanut residue on their clothes... incredibly, amazing stupid, thoughtless, careless and dangerous. And no mention by the event supervisor that they would be using nuts at the coaches meeting the night before.
It was a horrible decision on their part, having peanuts in an experiment should not even be THOUGHT of. There is bound to be SOMEONE who is allergic.
I also heard that this student was the one who was in charge of the observations, which did not help. The experiment was VERY unfair. I don't believe an arbitrary was made?
I felt horrible.
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

tclme elmo wrote:
rfscoach wrote:
eyeball138 wrote:We wound up getting 17th, which is fine, but I have to say that that test was not good. They gave us a jar of iodine and 5 snack foods, and we watched the snack foods change color. On paper this sounds ok, but it was not. They gave us peanuts as a snack food, and one person who had an allergy was forced to leave. I just don't understand how nuts could be used ever in this event,especially at nationals.
It was one of our Fulton Science students who had to leave. We coaches and parents were livid when we found out. His parents take so many precautions to keep him safe and then the one place that you wouldn't think would be a danger he is confronted with peanuts. He had to go into another room while our other 2 students did the experiment, then they were sent into the room he was in to do the write up, never mind that they still could have had peanut residue on their clothes... incredibly, amazing stupid, thoughtless, careless and dangerous. And no mention by the event supervisor that they would be using nuts at the coaches meeting the night before.
It was a horrible decision on their part, having peanuts in an experiment should not even be THOUGHT of. There is bound to be SOMEONE who is allergic.
I also heard that this student was the one who was in charge of the observations, which did not help. The experiment was VERY unfair. I don't believe an arbitrary was made?
I felt horrible.
Ya, I don't believe the complaint ever got filed. It totally got lost in the shuffle especially since shortly after that one of our other students broke his arm and needed emergency care and we had to find replacements for his events....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
tclme elmo
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

rfscoach wrote:
tclme elmo wrote:
rfscoach wrote:It was one of our Fulton Science students who had to leave. We coaches and parents were livid when we found out. His parents take so many precautions to keep him safe and then the one place that you wouldn't think would be a danger he is confronted with peanuts. He had to go into another room while our other 2 students did the experiment, then they were sent into the room he was in to do the write up, never mind that they still could have had peanut residue on their clothes... incredibly, amazing stupid, thoughtless, careless and dangerous. And no mention by the event supervisor that they would be using nuts at the coaches meeting the night before.
I felt horrible.
Ya, I don't believe the complaint ever got filed. It totally got lost in the shuffle especially since shortly after that one of our other students broke his arm and needed emergency care and we had to find replacements for his events....
Ouch! That stinks! I'm so sorry!
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by zyzzyva980 »

That's just bad luck. Some things you just can't control. Better luck next year.

Resources
bubblebrian
State: WI

Post by bubblebrian »

oh I got 18th, just behind you :o
Wisconsin Hamilton MS!!!
Regionals- first on BP, DD, weather

State-
Bio-process- Sixth
Disease detectives- Third
meteorology- first
PT- eleventh
ED- fourth
team- first

Nationals-
Meteorology: Third!!!
Bio-process lab- ninth
Disease Detectives: Twelfth
Experimental Design- Eighteenth
PT: 34
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Wow, nuts? This wasn't a regional competition, it's the national tournament...and don't they have coach meetings the day before to see how all the events are being run?

Either way, that's completely preposterous, those supervisors should be ashamed...those kids practice so much for this and look forward to competing at nats...seriously, how can they make a mistake like this...nut allergies aren't exactly 1 in a million, and im pretty sure they plan events weeks or even months in advance...they had plenty of time to work out the kinks.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

lllazar wrote:Wow, nuts? This wasn't a regional competition, it's the national tournament...and don't they have coach meetings the day before to see how all the events are being run?

Either way, that's completely preposterous, those supervisors should be ashamed...those kids practice so much for this and look forward to competing at nats...seriously, how can they make a mistake like this...nut allergies aren't exactly 1 in a million, and im pretty sure they plan events weeks or even months in advance...they had plenty of time to work out the kinks.
Last year's B Division Experimental event was poorly run, too, but not on anywhere near so dangerous a scale (although I heard that last year's big issue- that is, shortage of paper- was repeated this year, as well).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Shortage of paper? This is a national tournament! There are scholarships on the line! These events MUST be better run.

Resources

Return to “2010 Lab Events”