Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Wow... just wow... Helix, that's a total rip-off. They should be more prepared for an important competition like regionals.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
2win
Division: C
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Yeah, I agree. Something like that should have caused the event to be cancelled or something...
Oh, as for study methods, we have other team members and S.O. coaches come up with a topic and materials, and then we practice.... xD Simple enough
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
Avis_de-Incendia
Division: B

Post by Avis_de-Incendia »

And most of the time you shouldn't write up the entire report when practicing, but rather just practice brainstorming...that's the most important part of this event
Hello! :]
Helix_Nebula_Freak
State: PA

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak »

I feel simalarly in that brain-storming's the most important part of the event. When we practice, we often won't do the whole write-up. In this event, we work best under pressure...
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Brainstorming is important, but I feel the most important thing is specifics and writing a very good report. If you can have a good idea of what to do when you get in there, you don't need to brainstorm very much. In fact, we hardly needed to do any brainstorming at regionals for this event because everything was the same as last year. Instead we focused on specifics and it paid off - 1st place.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Helix_Nebula_Freak

Good Job!!!! You do make a valid point. I think this event's very team-specific in what you need to practice. It just depends on what aspects of it you excel and lack in.
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Brainstorming is important, but I feel the most important thing is specifics and writing a very good report. If you can have a good idea of what to do when you get in there, you don't need to brainstorm very much. In fact, we hardly needed to do any brainstorming at regionals for this event because everything was the same as last year. Instead we focused on specifics and it paid off - 1st place.
This man speaks the truth.

We hardly even talked at regionals because the experiment was so straight forward...."hand me the flashlight" or "pass me the pencil" was pretty much all we said...we got 2nd place but that was because our graph was screwed up :(
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Helix_Nebula_Freak wrote:I was at Regionals today and had the MOST UNFAIR, IMPROPER Experimental design.

Okay, so first of all, they gave us an experiment to do, which they really shouldn't have, but I could deal with that. Then, I look at the experiment and realize that IT'S NOT EVEN AN EXPERIMENT!!!!!! It was "design an object to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 8 feet." WHERE IS THE EXPERIMENT THERE????

Then, on the packet to write in, we don't see anywhere to do a graph, so I ask where we should do a graph. And the proctor's like, "Don't do a graph, because you're not doing multiple trials." :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

At this point we're all like " :x " anyway, but then we realize that the proctor gave us definitions within the packet. Fine. Until we realize that the definition for Independant Variable is 100% wrong!!!!!! It said: "The Variable that does not affect the other variables..." :?: :?: :?:

We still had to do the rest of the rubrick, but needless to say, we didn't do very well.... :evil:
For some reason, some people confuse Experimental Design with Mystery Architecture. They are really not very closely related.

The tournament coordinator needs to be made aware of this situation. The individual responsible should not be asked to run an event again.
Big_Platypus
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Big_Platypus »

Flavorflav wrote:
Helix_Nebula_Freak wrote:I was at Regionals today and had the MOST UNFAIR, IMPROPER Experimental design.

Okay, so first of all, they gave us an experiment to do, which they really shouldn't have, but I could deal with that. Then, I look at the experiment and realize that IT'S NOT EVEN AN EXPERIMENT!!!!!! It was "design an object to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 8 feet." WHERE IS THE EXPERIMENT THERE????

Then, on the packet to write in, we don't see anywhere to do a graph, so I ask where we should do a graph. And the proctor's like, "Don't do a graph, because you're not doing multiple trials." :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

At this point we're all like " :x " anyway, but then we realize that the proctor gave us definitions within the packet. Fine. Until we realize that the definition for Independant Variable is 100% wrong!!!!!! It said: "The Variable that does not affect the other variables..." :?: :?: :?:

We still had to do the rest of the rubrick, but needless to say, we didn't do very well.... :evil:
For some reason, some people confuse Experimental Design with Mystery Architecture. They are really not very closely related.

The tournament coordinator needs to be made aware of this situation. The individual responsible should not be asked to run an event again.
Wow..that is a very unfair event! That makes no sense!

My event wasn't as bad but it was sorta like that where there really wasn't a dependant variable. It was trying to make something float, and it either sank or floated :\. So our graph was a phail and we probably got 16th because of that.
2010 Events:Anatomy, Meteorology, Bio-Process, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design
Controlling bugs and nightbirds with the history of a shrine maiden and magician who killed the lunar rabbit to get to the nurse of the lunar princess to hold her for ransom to the Fujiwara Phoenix
Helix_Nebula_Freak

Big_Platypus wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:

Wow..that is a very unfair event! That makes no sense!

My event wasn't as bad but it was sorta like that where there really wasn't a dependant variable. It was trying to make something float, and it either sank or floated :\. So our graph was a phail and we probably got 16th because of that.
What you could have done in that situation is a DV of "Time it takes to sink" or something of the sort. Just ensure that you have a high enough IV range that at every level it will eventually sink.

Return to “2010 Lab Events”