EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Pentathlon B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

They don't need to study that much, they just need to have been exposed to a lot of science, so it makes sense to put mostly or all 8th and 9th graders on a potential Pentathlon team.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by amerikestrel »

Last year, I did the pentathlon, and my question was "What process formed the Grand Canyon?" Answer: erosion. My friend got "What killed the dinosaurs". No joke. We got second at regionals, not first because of a stupid puzzle.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
waawamellon
State: KS

Post by waawamellon »

last year, I got "what kind of energy does a toaster use?" and I got it first try: heat energy in
also, the hardest part for us was doing the puzzle at the end. it was a lion king puzzle 100 peice. the hard part was realizing there was TWO lions in the picture!!!!!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:And 8th grade, depending on what your school happens to teach in those grades. Maybe even 6th grade for some, it could prove useful.
My 6th grade science class was awful, pointless, and really easy. I got 100% on a pretest. :lol:

So, it seems like this event is more about putting the right people in it than it is about studying.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

Ah, Pentathlon. Fun to watch, even funnier to record and play back in front of the whole school.
amerikestrel wrote:So, it seems like this event is more about putting the right people in it than it is about studying.
Personally, I think it has a large amount of luck involved, with picking the right people and those people picking the right questions. But I would definintely say it's more about picking the competitors than studying. (And then there's my school, which just puts 4 people who have a common event slot open on Pentathlon the week before the competition.)
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

waawamellon wrote:last year, I got "what kind of energy does a toaster use?" and I got it first try: heat energy in
also, the hardest part for us was doing the puzzle at the end. it was a lion king puzzle 100 peice. the hard part was realizing there was TWO lions in the picture!!!!!
You must have been at the same practice competition I was at. Was that Platte City? Anyway, things I've seen on previous competitions that are really big are the pH scale, atomic symbols (esp. the ones like Mercury and Iron with no correlation b/w symbol and element at first glance) and anatomy of the heart. I think I've gotten those last two at least twice.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
SMS SO Rules
State: IL

Post by SMS SO Rules »

49ers wrote: how are u supposed to practice for this event?
The way our team practices for Pent is have the teachers come up with random science related questions and then have us do an obstacle course like thing .

The hardest thing I've ever done for pent was a team challenge where 3 people had mirrors and one had a laser pointer. We couldn't move from a taped on square on the floor. We couldn't do it nor could any other team at the invite, so we did a tie breaker and took 2nd place!! :D
nn302
Division: B
State: OH

Post by nn302 »

Does anyone have any experiences from competition?
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

I really wish the event had been changed to Egg Drop but oh well....
anyways i really would do this event just because i did well last year(OK overall we got 30th but we failed the team part)
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

nn302 wrote:Does anyone have any experiences from competition?
If you're trying to get information about what could be involved, here's your answer: it could be anything. We've done puzzles, jump rope, archery- if you can fit it one room it might come up in pentathlon. Even, apparently, lasers:
SMS SO Rules wrote:The hardest thing I've ever done for pent was a team challenge where 3 people had mirrors and one had a laser pointer. We couldn't move from a taped on square on the floor. We couldn't do it nor could any other team at the invite, so we did a tie breaker and took 2nd place!! :D
If you're just looking for a good story, let me say that my team choked at "Operation" (the team challenge at last year's KS state) and our coach is making us play it to get ready for this year.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2010 Lab Events”