Write It Do It B/C

genemagyk
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by genemagyk »

I would be very careful about that. U is a word that means shaped like the letter "u," and it was always legal to use words; however, some judges didn't seem to realize that this usage was legitimate and that, I believe, is why they put it in the rules. On the other hand, "u" does not in accepted usage mean "you," and therefore could easily be interpreted as an illegal code.
Yeah, I'd be more formal. Use the full words, and don't even use abbreviations like "sec." for seconds without actually stating that's your abbreviation at the beginning. I know that some people are tempted to use widely used abbreviations, but they actually take points off for that. So using "u" for you, or "c" for see won't work. They'll take off points. Last year, and the years before that, chatspeak like not using vowels in words, or like using "IDK" of "LOL" or even the number "2" for "to" worked. BUT! This year, they will take off points, it's very strict....
Faythe
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Faythe »

Dudee that's dumb. I say IDK all the time in mine :P
I'm incredible at write it do it, I've been in science olympiad for four years, science olympiad is a lot of fun thoughhh haha.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

genemagyk wrote:
I would be very careful about that. U is a word that means shaped like the letter "u," and it was always legal to use words; however, some judges didn't seem to realize that this usage was legitimate and that, I believe, is why they put it in the rules. On the other hand, "u" does not in accepted usage mean "you," and therefore could easily be interpreted as an illegal code.
Yeah, I'd be more formal. Use the full words, and don't even use abbreviations like "sec." for seconds without actually stating that's your abbreviation at the beginning. I know that some people are tempted to use widely used abbreviations, but they actually take points off for that. So using "u" for you, or "c" for see won't work. They'll take off points. Last year, and the years before that, chatspeak like not using vowels in words, or like using "IDK" of "LOL" or even the number "2" for "to" worked. BUT! This year, they will take off points, it's very strict....
I believe that "in" for inches, "sec" for seconds, and other accepted abbreviations for units are acceptable. However, chatspeak is not, unless you define it the first time you use it (although I'm not sure why you would need to use "idk" or "lol" in competition). In fact, that applies to any abbreviation- it's perfectly legal as long as you define it either at the beginning of your writing or whenever you first use it.
If you're looking for ways to shorten your writing, leaving out words entirely is perfectly acceptable- there's no need to use the words "the" or "a" unless a sentence would be ambiguous without them.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Suzumebachi
State: CT

Post by Suzumebachi »

What do you do if your partner refuses to practice? :\

<--- Has States tomorrow and is pretty sure she will fail this event D:
FHS / CT
2012: Forestry- 1st Astronomy- 2nd Protein Modelling- 5th Helicopters-18th OVERALL: 4th
2011: Sounds of Music- 10th Ornithology- 1st Fossils- 7th Astronomy- 7th OVERALL: 8th
2010: Astronomy - 5th Ornithology - 1st Elevated Bridge 12th Picture This- ? OVERALL: 16th
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

aww. that's not good. :x

hey, does anyone know what they've used in Nationals before? I really want to know what to expect, because for states and regionals we've had to use/write about legos. I think that we should start practicing with more random things.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Phenylethylamine »

sewforlife wrote: hey, does anyone know what they've used in Nationals before? I really want to know what to expect, because for states and regionals we've had to use/write about legos. I think that we should start practicing with more random things.
The WIDI at Nationals has been made out of Googleplex for at least the last three years, and I believe even longer than that. It seems likely that they will continue to be used.

Googleplex, in case you're wondering, are a building toy that stopped being sold around 1999. The national supervisor for WIDI evidently has a stash of them somewhere lol- there are none for sale, not on eBay, not on Amazon, nowhere on the Internet (I guess somewhere there's probably a secondhand store or something that has some, but maybe not even that, since they were basically a "teachers' toy"). We've looked. Multiple times.
Googleplex consist of two kinds of pieces (and keep in mind this is my memory from two years ago, when I last saw them, so it's approximate lol): rods (thinner and shorter than K'nex rods) with a short little "branch" sticking out halfway down, and connectors with cylindrical slots for the rods (if I recall correctly, there were multiple types of connectors- straight ones with two slots pointing in opposite directions, and corner ones with two slots at a 90-degree angle. But I could be completely off on that).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
redreading249

Post by redreading249 »

Googleplex is icky haha.
I hope it won't be the material this year at nationals.
By the way, does B and C compete at the same time for events?
and.. would the structures be the same for both divisions?
A.W. Coolidge Middle School ~ MA Science Olympiad 2010
Nationals 2010
Fossils - 20th
Wright Stuff - 25th
Write It Do It - 2nd
Overall - 16th

Fossils - 1st @ States
Wright Stuff - 2nd @ States
Write It Do It - 1st @ States
kp9ssa

Post by kp9ssa »

im o.k with the googleplex pieces, but they can be tricky at times
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st
Suzumebachi
State: CT

Post by Suzumebachi »

I've never used Googleplex before >.<

I got lost during States, and I missed Write-it/Do-it... so my idiot friend subbed for me and got, like, 18th place :P

Ah, well. I'm going to try this event next year, too.
FHS / CT
2012: Forestry- 1st Astronomy- 2nd Protein Modelling- 5th Helicopters-18th OVERALL: 4th
2011: Sounds of Music- 10th Ornithology- 1st Fossils- 7th Astronomy- 7th OVERALL: 8th
2010: Astronomy - 5th Ornithology - 1st Elevated Bridge 12th Picture This- ? OVERALL: 16th
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Hey I have a quick question. At state we were told you weren't allowed to use numbers like 2, for exmple "Set it 2 centimeters to the right" you had to say "Set it two centimeters to the right". When i asked if I could abreviate it at the top my paper, 2=two, they said no. I mean, it was my first ever time competing in write it do it so I don't really have the expieriance i would like, and wasn't upset about it or anything 10th out of 26 isn't bad, but what do you thinK? Should you be able to abreviate 2 for two?
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

Return to “2010 Lab Events”