Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Phenylethylamine »

That picture is definitely not of Googleplex. Even with my limited memory of WIDI at Nats two years ago, that doesn't resemble it at all. [EDIT: Now that I think about it, there might have been flat shape pieces, too. There's some chance that's the same thing, just put together in a completely different way.] There was a single kind of rod, and a few kinds of connectors. They weren't too hard to write; the difficulty was supposed to come from the size of the structure and the fact that nobody was familiar with the material.

The longtime WIDI supervisor, who was from Ohio, consistently used Googleplex for B Division. They were discontinued years ago; they were used for WIDI precisely because nobody could have very much experience with them.

They were certainly used for the past three years, and I believe even before that- in fact, I think this event supervisor used them every year that she ran WIDI- and so it would be a reasonable assumption that they would be used again... except that last year was her final year as supervisor. It's going to be run by someone different this year, and it's likely that they will use different materials. [Might I also just point out that a good WIDI pair shouldn't be tripped up by materials they haven't seen?]

C Division, on the other hand, has evidently been K'nex several times. I have no idea if it was run by the same person- in which case it might also be likely to change this year- or if it's been run by someone else the whole time. Also, not having been in C Division until now, I don't know if this has been a long-standing tradition or just a recurring theme.

This may also change under a different supervisor, but at Nats for B Division two years ago, the structures were set up on the tables after everyone was seated, with one for about every two or three people. As usual, you could get up and walk around it, although we were at large tables so you basically had to lean over to see the other side.
Last edited by Phenylethylamine on May 4th, 2010, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

You might be having issues finding them because I think you're spelling it wrong, I'm fairly sure it's spelled Googolplex....at least according to last years thread it is....not that I'm having much better luck, I seem to get something like this a lot: http://www.ofb.net/~whuang/gp/mmg2004/i ... 37_IMG.JPG

there's also this http://www.scioly.org/w/images/2/24/Goo ... Bucket.jpg kind of hard to see but it looks like it could be it...kinda similar to what arthur found though...though it's hosted on the forum so it could likely be it
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

fmtiger124 wrote:You might be having issues finding them because I think you're spelling it wrong, I'm fairly sure it's spelled Googolplex....at least according to last years thread it is....not that I'm having much better luck, I seem to get something like this a lot: http://www.ofb.net/~whuang/gp/mmg2004/i ... 37_IMG.JPG

there's also this http://www.scioly.org/w/images/2/24/Goo ... Bucket.jpg kind of hard to see but it looks like it could be it...kinda similar to what arthur found though...though it's hosted on the forum so it could likely be it
Neither of those appears to be the particular building toy that was used at Nationals (although the bucket one might be; now that I think about it, there may also have been flat shape pieces included). I am not certain of the spelling, since at the competition I only ever heard it verbally, but I do know that in attempting to find it, we searched every possible spelling and found only expired patents and long-gone eBay auctions.
--
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by haven chuck »

2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

both of those websites show toys that use the same materials in the picture from my website. too bad they stopped selling it.
dvd

Post by dvd »

I think the best bet would be practicing with items like tinkertoys that have the same sort of idea.
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
redreading249
Division: B

Post by redreading249 »

Did anyone find the Division B Write It Do It structure really difficult?
A.W. Coolidge Middle School ~ MA Science Olympiad 2010
Nationals 2010
Fossils - 20th
Wright Stuff - 25th
Write It Do It - 2nd
Overall - 16th

Fossils - 1st @ States
Wright Stuff - 2nd @ States
Write It Do It - 1st @ States
sk8lynne
State: NY

Post by sk8lynne »

redreading249 wrote:Did anyone find the Division B Write It Do It structure really difficult?
Was the material google plex again?
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Division C was random materials- small PVC and copper pipes, cardboard with a sticker, popsicle sticks, and buffalo clips.

We got 33rd :? I started writing from a less-convenient direction, so my partner had some issues getting the structure to stay standing in the process of building it. We figured out at least one, probably two connections that we definitely got wrong, but for 33rd, there must have been some others that we didn't notice when we were explaining it to each other.
--
redreading249
Division: B

Post by redreading249 »

sk8lynne wrote:
redreading249 wrote:Did anyone find the Division B Write It Do It structure really difficult?
Was the material google plex again?
Nope.. it was a random
We had index cards, brass fasteners, cups, rubber bands, tacks, pins, pipe cleaners, straws, sticks, toothpicks, pom-poms, cotton balls, string, and popsicle sticks.
We had to balance the popsicle sticks on the straws with the pins and attach everything to the cup.. It was confusing.

Overall our school came in 2nd though! I was so excited!
A.W. Coolidge Middle School ~ MA Science Olympiad 2010
Nationals 2010
Fossils - 20th
Wright Stuff - 25th
Write It Do It - 2nd
Overall - 16th

Fossils - 1st @ States
Wright Stuff - 2nd @ States
Write It Do It - 1st @ States

Return to “2010 Lab Events”