Write It Do It B/C

CJAP Crazy MMM
Division: B
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by CJAP Crazy MMM »

Great point! acually now that i think of it idk what i would use them for....
Phenylethylamine wrote:
CJAP Crazy MMM wrote:SIngle letters how does that really help? what would really be helpful would be if we could use like computer symbols like % @ # $ * that would rock!
jazzy009 wrote:New for this year: we can write single letters. Does anyone thing that will help for anything? I suppose you could use it as a numbering system but I always use...well numbers.
What would you use computer symbols like that for?
Single letters are extremely useful for 'naming' pieces (e.g., "...the first blue pipe cleaner (piece A)..."), which can significantly reduce the number of words you have to write (it's much more convenient to write "A" than to write out "the first blue pipe cleaner" every time you want to mention it).
CJAP Crazy MMM wrote:Ouch! that is brutal! Maybe thats something i could practice with my partner????
Phenylethylamine wrote:I did WIDI yesterday (for the first time in competition since 8th grade) at the Athens Area Invitational in PA. The structure was made out of seven plastic straws (three bendy, four straight), two bobby pins and an index card. Sound simple?
Well, the index card was folded. Seven folds. And it had pen lines on it.
It was pretty brutal.
I recommend practicing with all different kinds of materials, folded paper included. It's definitely a good idea to know your Legos and Knex, but I also recommend that you try some structures using pipe cleaners, paper, popsicle sticks, styrofoam, and any other random material you have lying around. There seems to be a trend recently toward random structures rather than building-toy structures, at least in some states.

Just a suggestion: you can have multiple quotes in the same post, so instead of three little posts, you could combine them all into one, like this. It makes the thread a little less cluttered.
Personal Events 2010:
Cant Judge a Powder By its Color
Write it Do it
Solar System
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Phenylethylamine wrote:I did WIDI yesterday (for the first time in competition since 8th grade) at the Athens Area Invitational in PA. The structure was made out of seven plastic straws (three bendy, four straight), two bobby pins and an index card. Sound simple?
It was pretty brutal.

I got 24th (...out of 27 teams); could be I'm out of practice, could be that my partner was really another Writer and didn't have much experience as a Doer. Probably some combination of the two. In any case, I need to practice, and I need to figure out who my partner is going to be for States (since we're not doing it at Regionals). I'm really hoping I can get my partner from two years ago again (we're the 3rd-place-at-Nats dream team lol), but I don't know if it will happen.
Out of curiosity, do you already know that you are on your State team? Won't it depend on the regional results?
imbasil
Division: C
State: NY

Post by imbasil »

So I'm in the capital district in new york, does anyone know what the wi/di will be built out of? Because the proctor made it ver clear it isn't going to be legos. I'm thinking it will be string, nuts and bolts like it was last year.
Events: ecology, ornithology, picture this, write it/do it

5 years of SciOly and still going strong...
Viva Ravena!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Flavorflav wrote:
It was pretty brutal.

I got 24th (...out of 27 teams); could be I'm out of practice, could be that my partner was really another Writer and didn't have much experience as a Doer. Probably some combination of the two. In any case, I need to practice, and I need to figure out who my partner is going to be for States (since we're not doing it at Regionals). I'm really hoping I can get my partner from two years ago again (we're the 3rd-place-at-Nats dream team lol), but I don't know if it will happen.
Out of curiosity, do you already know that you are on your State team? Won't it depend on the regional results?
To some extent, the Regional results do affect who's on the State team; however, it's largely decided before Regionals. Typically, we go to Regionals with an incomplete team (i.e., fewer than 15 people) and move people up. Very rarely do people get moved down, however. Anyone who has more than one event at States is pretty much safe unless they stop showing up to meetings entirely.
That's somewhat of an oversimplification, but in short: yes, I do know that I'm on the State team.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
dorrheart4
State: FL

Post by dorrheart4 »

HaileyDenton wrote:I am new to science olympiad, and doesnt understand many of the events that i am in, particlarly Write it Do it. i understand the concept of it, but not how you can prepare, can anyone help me out? (:
you can practice with random objects mostly. if youre the writer than practice explaining them, and make sure you know what every object is (for example: i didnt know what Knex were at invitationals and the whole thing was made of them :? )
and if your the doer, get the writer to write out the object and just practice building it.
dorrheart4
State: FL

Post by dorrheart4 »

CJAP Crazy MMM wrote:IDK maybe i was doing really well with my twin problem was...he bailed
dorrheart4 wrote:me and my twin sister are in this competition this year...do you think that helps anything?
aww that's annoying! i dont think my twin would...i hope not at least!
CJAP Crazy MMM

Post by CJAP Crazy MMM »

Hopefully ive been through a couple partners my school has two teams so either i switch to another team so i have to find a new one or my partner cant do it because of conflicting times for events... :(
dorrheart4 wrote:
CJAP Crazy MMM wrote:IDK maybe i was doing really well with my twin problem was...he bailed
dorrheart4 wrote:me and my twin sister are in this competition this year...do you think that helps anything?
aww that's annoying! i dont think my twin would...i hope not at least!
Last edited by CJAP Crazy MMM on January 23rd, 2010, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Events 2010:
Write it Do it
Solar System
CJAP Crazy MMM

Post by CJAP Crazy MMM »

Yup except one girl i was reading about had one thing: a note card folded 6 times with lines through the folds...ugh :o
dorrheart4 wrote:
HaileyDenton wrote:I am new to science olympiad, and doesnt understand many of the events that i am in, particlarly Write it Do it. i understand the concept of it, but not how you can prepare, can anyone help me out? (:
you can practice with random objects mostly. if youre the writer than practice explaining them, and make sure you know what every object is (for example: i didnt know what Knex were at invitationals and the whole thing was made of them :? )
and if your the doer, get the writer to write out the object and just practice building it.
Last edited by CJAP Crazy MMM on January 28th, 2010, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Events 2010:
Write it Do it
Solar System
kayyy
State: PA

Post by kayyy »

hey guys. i'm new to this event and i was just wondering if u could tell me any tips on how to do good with this one. Thanks! :)
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

kayyy wrote:hey guys. i'm new to this event and i was just wondering if u could tell me any tips on how to do good with this one. Thanks! :)
Practice, practice, practice.

And read everything posted in this thread up until now. If you have any specific questions that haven't been answered, feel free to ask.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Return to “2010 Lab Events”