Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This C

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

Also points to myself for making me look like an idiot. I think that is kind of weird, but this makes it much easier for me study now.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

State: 1st: Trajectory, 6th: History of Science, 11th: Picture This

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

Hutto Invitationals: 2nd: Picture This, 4th: Forensics, 4th: Trajectory
OlympiadLover
State: NM

Post by OlympiadLover »

What do you think the difficulty of the words in Nationals will be like? And does anybody have a list they want to share of words? Or a website?
10' State: 1st: It's About Time and Experimental Design,, 2nd: Picture This, State, National team/UIUC
11' State: 1st: Experimental Design and 1st Wind Power, 3rd Mousetrap Vehicle, National team/UW-Madison
12' State: 3rd Thermodynamics, 3rd Water Quality, 8th Experimental Design, National team/UCF
Kean
State: CA

Post by Kean »

I got 7th in Picture This last year at Nationals, and I really hope the words are not as hard as 2009 Nationals. We only got 12. "cohort study?" "thigmothermy?" Really now? Those words are just unreasonable.
walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

They seemed crazy, but apparently they were all taken from word lists from Ohio Invitationals.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
OlympiadLover
State: NM

Post by OlympiadLover »

Then what kinds of words were in the Ohio like similar difficulty i mean.
10' State: 1st: It's About Time and Experimental Design,, 2nd: Picture This, State, National team/UIUC
11' State: 1st: Experimental Design and 1st Wind Power, 3rd Mousetrap Vehicle, National team/UW-Madison
12' State: 3rd Thermodynamics, 3rd Water Quality, 8th Experimental Design, National team/UCF
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

PA States Results

1st place-20 words
2nd place-20words
3rd place-14 words
4th place to 5th place-11 words
6th place-10 words
7th place -9 words
8th place to 15th place-8 words
16th place to 17th place-7 words
18th place to 24th place-6 words
25th place to 28th place- 5 words
29th place-4 words
30th place to 31st place-3 words
32nd place to 35th place-2 words
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

1st place skipped 2 words, second skipped 5. If only I'd taken my time and dealt with "Insulation"!

Impressive margin outside of the top 2 though. Rustin is extremely good at this event.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

nejanimb wrote:1st place skipped 2 words, second skipped 5. If only I'd taken my time and dealt with "Insulation"!

Impressive margin outside of the top 2 though. Rustin is extremely good at this event.
Both Rustin and Harriton were so close to getting 2 or 3 more words. Both teams were well prepared.
hftf
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by hftf »

I would like to share with everyone several resources that I have created to practice for Picture This.

Over the last few months, I have compiled quite a substantial list of terms. Currently, my database contains around 1200 terms, with the first 100 illustrated and defined. This list is the integral part of a set of useful online Picture This tools I developed, which I am now making available for free.
  • Term search: Browse through the terms, search for a specific one, or find all terms with a certain tag.
  • Term game: Start a game using a list of 25 random terms of increasing difficulty. Calculates the time elapsed for each term, and remembers if a term was guessed correctly or passed. Very useful for practicing with a group of partners.
  • Term games: Load a set of 12 random lists of term games.
  • Term guesser: Guess a random term from its definition and illustration. Would be useful for practicing by yourself, but most terms lack both.
There are several reasons why I have chosen to make this public. First of all, my team is not going to Nationals this year, unfortunately, so we don't have any use for this. Secondly, according to the tentative list of events for next year, Picture This will not be offered as an event anymore. But ultimately, in my few years in Science Olympiad so far, the online community, including this forum and the wiki, has been immensely helpful, and I wanted to return the favor as much as possible.

I know I should have posted this much earlier, but I was lazy and really busy. Anyway, I would really appreciate if you let me know what you think of these resources, and please tell your friends to check them out too.
Ophir Lifshitz
University of Maryland '15
Walter Johnson High School '11

Nats 2011: Optics (15th), Forensics (12th), Astronomy (15th), Tech Prob Solving (8th)
State 2011: Optics (1st), Forensics (1st), Astronomy (2nd), Tech Prob Solving (1st)
State 2010: Picture This (1st), It's About Time (1st), Forensics (1st), CompuBots (1st)
Created SORA, FantaSO, and some awesome Optics and Picture This resources!
sk8lynne
State: NY

Post by sk8lynne »

does anyone know what some of the picture this words were at nationals?
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!

Return to “2010 Lab Events”