Mission Possible - 1st, 9th
OlympiadLover
Division: C
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This C

Post by OlympiadLover »

What about words such as delta? Can we use a triangle for it or does that count as a letter?
10' State: 1st: It's About Time and Experimental Design,, 2nd: Picture This, State, National team/UIUC
11' State: 1st: Experimental Design and 1st Wind Power, 3rd Mousetrap Vehicle, National team/UW-Madison
12' State: 3rd Thermodynamics, 3rd Water Quality, 8th Experimental Design, National team/UCF
SO4L
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by SO4L »

Draw a river mouth opening into a body of water
2010 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 2nd, 11th
Picture This - 7th, 16h
Ecology - 6th, 15th
Mission Possible - 1st, 12th

2011 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 6th, 9th
Towers - 2nd, 16th
Protein Modeling - 1st, 6th
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

I've seen it both ways in the rules, but can we draw a pair of jeans for genes? I guess last year we weren't supposed to and i've seen it both ways online. What was decided?
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
SO4L
State: IL

Post by SO4L »

Nonscientific pictures are totally allowed; in fact, sometimes they work better than the actual picture. You can draw a pair of jeans for "genes".
Last edited by SO4L on April 2nd, 2010, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 2nd, 11th
Picture This - 7th, 16h
Ecology - 6th, 15th
Mission Possible - 1st, 12th

2011 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 6th, 9th
Towers - 2nd, 16th
Protein Modeling - 1st, 6th
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Thanks a lot! I hope this helps us!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
RndmPplPrsn
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

SO4L wrote:Nonscientific pictures are totally allowed; in fact, sometimes they work better than the actual picture. You can draw a pair of jeans for "genes".
I'm not sure if you were intending sarcasm, but you definitely cannot do that. The pictures HAVE TO relate to the term.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

State: 1st: Trajectory, 6th: History of Science, 11th: Picture This

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

Hutto Invitationals: 2nd: Picture This, 4th: Forensics, 4th: Trajectory
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

I disagree with your interpretation of the rules, rndm - You definitely can do that. You're right in that it does have to relate to the term, but the rules just say that "all other symbols must represent the word(s) given," and I'd say a pair of jeans quite clearly represents the word jeans in a logical way that any outsider could clearly understand ("oh, that's a drawing of a pair of jeans, and since this is about scientific terms and jeans is a homophone, the term must be "genes"). No where do the rules say that you must convey the "scientific definition" of the word or even that you must represent that word exactly and not a "sounds like" version, since a homophone or some "sounds-like" device can be thought of as representing the word. That line of the rules is to prevent teams from making up codes and alphabets where they can use a formula that can pinpoint any word regardless of what it is - this essentially means just that there has to be a clear logic to what you drew and how your guessers got from that drawing to the term they guessed.

Question: For hyphenated terms, do you draw one line or two? Can you acknowledge correctness of just one part of the hyphenated term?
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
walkingstyx

Post by walkingstyx »

Yeah, they even went out of their way to specify that you can represent isobar with an ice cube at the coaches' clinic.

Also, I think your question on hyphenated terms is irrelevant. There aren't any on any of the past nationals lists I can find, and I don't think there ever have been. Nor have I ever seen a hyphenated term at any competition. If you do happen to come upon one, you're probably better off just not drawing any lines or writing down parts to be safe. If you really are worried, you can ask your proctor before the event starts.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
RndmPplPrsn
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

nejanimb wrote:I disagree with your interpretation of the rules, rndm - You definitely can do that. You're right in that it does have to relate to the term, but the rules just say that "all other symbols must represent the word(s) given," and I'd say a pair of jeans quite clearly represents the word jeans in a logical way that any outsider could clearly understand ("oh, that's a drawing of a pair of jeans, and since this is about scientific terms and jeans is a homophone, the term must be "genes"). No where do the rules say that you must convey the "scientific definition" of the word or even that you must represent that word exactly and not a "sounds like" version, since a homophone or some "sounds-like" device can be thought of as representing the word. That line of the rules is to prevent teams from making up codes and alphabets where they can use a formula that can pinpoint any word regardless of what it is - this essentially means just that there has to be a clear logic to what you drew and how your guessers got from that drawing to the term they guessed.

Question: For hyphenated terms, do you draw one line or two? Can you acknowledge correctness of just one part of the hyphenated term?
Well at Regionals the proctor explained the rules to everybody for some reason. She did not say it like that.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

State: 1st: Trajectory, 6th: History of Science, 11th: Picture This

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

Hutto Invitationals: 2nd: Picture This, 4th: Forensics, 4th: Trajectory

Return to “2010 Lab Events”