yes i am and it did
mad_artist12
Division: B
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This C

Post by mad_artist12 »

fmtiger124 wrote:Can someone give me a quick rundown about what this event is?
I'm looking for events to do and this one sounds interesting.
this event is very fun you can have 2 to 3 members you have 25 terms and 4 minuts one person draws a picture and the other one gueses wat it is then they swich back and forth if you want you can pass a term and you can guess as many times as u want heres the sample terms http://soinc.org/picture_this_c
sisomg11
Division: C
State: OH

Post by sisomg11 »

Hey I was just told that I am to be put into this event for the first time, since we only have 3 guys with any experience and one has a conflict (I believe with Fossils) so what should I do to prepare? I only have until mid-April
2007(B):Solar System, Tower Building
2008(C):Food Chemistry, Rocks and Minerals, Fermi Questions, Disease Detectives (as a backup in case of conflicts)
2009:Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, TPS (as backup)
2010:Chem Lab, Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, Picture This
walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

You can't do anything alone, you just need to practice with your partners. Set aside a time every day or a day every week and just devote it to Picture This. Use the back of textbooks for words, or get the rest of the Scio team to write you lists. With practice, your team should be able to place well.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
gsheni

Post by gsheni »

I am trying to remember the words that we had for NY States at Westpoint

refraction
aorta
mycology
water cycle
lever
neuron

If anyone can help me out and help out other students by adding to my list, it would be helpful.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Hi gsheni,

We started a list of science words and have simply added to it as we hear science words in the news, read them in books, etc. One helpful thing is to ask people to contribute to your list. Ask team members to send you 10 (or 20?) words from their events. Even building events can help (light sensor, tension, wheel and axle could come from building events). Knowledge/study events are good sources too. For example your Dynamic Planet team might suggest eruption, magma, shield volcano, tsunami, and pyroclastic flow. Also, go through the official rule book and look for terms in the rules that might make their way into picture this.

Our team remembered a few words from regionals including gene pool, moon, and angiosperm. Words can be simple or hard...

HSCMom
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
SO4L
State: IL

Post by SO4L »

We had the worst proctor at our Regional. This guy obviously did NOT read the rules carefully because on the 10th word or so, he told us "You can't draw those lines -- that's a pass. Here's your next word." Those lines were the lines used to indicate number of words. We all looked at each other and we all knew he didn't know what he was doing but finished the entire run without using the number-of-words indicator lines.

We thanked him and left the room. Halfway down the hallway, he ran up to us and apologized. Ideally at State, I would like to have a proctor who's an actual coach, not some parent who volunteered to proctor an event. I think people believe that PT is a fake event so they just throw in fake proctors to run the event.
2010 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 2nd, 11th
Picture This - 7th, 16h
Ecology - 6th, 15th
Mission Possible - 1st, 12th

2011 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 6th, 9th
Towers - 2nd, 16th
Protein Modeling - 1st, 6th
Mission Possible - 1st, 9th
andrewbji
State: IL

Post by andrewbji »

SO4L wrote:We had the worst proctor at our Regional. This guy obviously did NOT read the rules carefully because on the 10th word or so, he told us "You can't draw those lines -- that's a pass. Here's your next word." Those lines were the lines used to indicate number of words. We all looked at each other and we all knew he didn't know what he was doing but finished the entire run without using the number-of-words indicator lines.

We thanked him and left the room. Halfway down the hallway, he ran up to us and apologized. Ideally at State, I would like to have a proctor who's an actual coach, not some parent who volunteered to proctor an event. I think people believe that PT is a fake event so they just throw in fake proctors to run the event.
wow. That kinda stinks. But be thankful that your event was running, regardless of how experienced the proctor is. One of our regional events (Tech Problem Solving) was cancelled simply because no one was willing to take up the event. I find that to be ridiculous. That's much worse than having a "fake proctor". Now, our team is going to state without much knowledge of what to expect or any practice, so we have to expect everything. Back to your situation, well, at least he apologized I guess. I understand how you feel since I had a coupe of proctors like that, but you just gotta move on.
2011 Scioly. Game on.
SciOlyGirl94
State: KY

Post by SciOlyGirl94 »

RandomPerson52 wrote:Does anyone know a good source just to find lists of the commonly used words, definitions, and possibly pictures?
yea HELP Please, my team averages about 18 wrds but we'd like to get better!!!!

Past Events: Evelated Bridge
Science Word
Ecology
Road Scholar
2010 Events: Expermential Design
It's About Time
Picture This
SciOlyGirl94
State: KY

Post by SciOlyGirl94 »

andrewbji wrote:
SO4L wrote:We had the worst proctor at our Regional. This guy obviously did NOT read the rules carefully because on the 10th word or so, he told us "You can't draw those lines -- that's a pass. Here's your next word." Those lines were the lines used to indicate number of words. We all looked at each other and we all knew he didn't know what he was doing but finished the entire run without using the number-of-words indicator lines.

wow. That kinda stinks. But be thankful that your event was running, regardless of how experienced the proctor is. One of our regional events (Tech Problem Solving) was cancelled simply because no one was willing to take up the event. I find that to be ridiculous. That's much worse than having a "fake proctor". Now, our team is going to state without much knowledge of what to expect or any practice, so we have to expect everything. Back to your situation, well, at least he apologized I guess. I understand how you feel since I had a coupe of proctors like that, but you just gotta move on.
You guys thinks thats bad?! Well at are regionals, they cancelled Remote Sensing, not because the couldn't get a proctor but because they couldn't find anyone to make the test, and they said they couldn't use the test from last year in that event or any event yet the test in it's about time was marked 2009. How stupid is that.

Past Events: Evelated Bridge
Science Word
Ecology
Road Scholar
2010 Events: Expermential Design
It's About Time
Picture This

Return to “2010 Lab Events”