How did you guys do the Charles Law one? I think I failed that station. :(
Sir_L_Jenkins
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Technical Problem Solving C

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

Well, I think you were supposed to makes the assumption that when the air refills the bottle, it instantly condenses and reaches an equilibrium temperature with the water, hence the temperature probe making you record the temperature of ice water and the air. So, when you squeeze out the water, that volume of water will be replaced by that much air at 0 degrees Celsius. To figure out how much room temperature air went in, you used v/t = v/t, and I think that's how you did it...

if not, free water bottle at that station = win anyway
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
GoldenKnightB
State: PA

Post by GoldenKnightB »

I have run this event a couple of times. Could someone briefly describe all of the stations at Nationals. I really do not want to wait until September. Thanks in advance.
E Edgar
Division: Grad

Post by E Edgar »

Station 1: You are given 3 pendulums of varying lengths and a stopwatch. Construct a graph using the paper provided and use it to estimate the period of a pendulum of length 10cm/100cm.
Station 2: Given this box where the base is star-shaped, find the volume.
Station 3: Remove some water from a bottle (at 0 degrees C)in 1 continuous squirt. Then, calculate how much air entered the bottle to replace the water. (find volume of squirt with graduated cylinder, keep in mind that the air would contract when it entered the cooler bottle).
Station 4: Find the mass of this block before we drilled a hole through it.
Station 5: Ramp+ball+stopwatch. What is the average acceleration of the ball?
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
GoldenKnightB
State: PA

Post by GoldenKnightB »

Thank you very much. According to the rules, "Various probes will be utilized at two or more stations at the National Tournament." Which stations utilized probes or at least data obtained from probes?
Sir_L_Jenkins

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

GoldenKnightB wrote:Thank you very much. According to the rules, "Various probes will be utilized at two or more stations at the National Tournament." Which stations utilized probes or at least data obtained from probes?
Station 3 had a temperature probe, and I guess you could call the stopwatches at the acceleration and pendulum stations probes if you really wanted to.
I guess there really was just one probe, but then a lot of basic measuring devices such as stopwatches, calipers, protractors, etc
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.

Return to “2010 Lab Events”