Forensics C

monkeysareawesome
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by monkeysareawesome »

have any of you any had ballistics on a test, and if you have what did they ask you/what did you need to know to answer the questions??
jazzy009
Division: Grad

Post by jazzy009 »

Jest wrote:My invitational was a test with all multiple choice with 3 simple math problems. Absolutely no lab stuff. Anybody else like that?
At least 20% of the test (50% here) is based on labs, they just didn't include powders?
That's taking out the best aspect of the event...
Call me coach.
Jest
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Jest »

jazzy009 wrote:
Jest wrote:My invitational was a test with all multiple choice with 3 simple math problems. Absolutely no lab stuff. Anybody else like that?
At least 20% of the test (50% here) is based on labs, they just didn't include powders?
That's taking out the best aspect of the event...
We didn't have anything to identify(sodium acetate, sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen), no water testing, no chromatography, and no analysis of crime. They even told us we didn't need lab coats or safety goggles. Just a plain old multiple choice with 58 or so questions.
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

Jest wrote: We didn't have anything to identify(sodium acetate, sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen), no water testing, no chromatography, and no analysis of crime. They even told us we didn't need lab coats or safety goggles. Just a plain old multiple choice with 58 or so questions.
If you're new to the event don't expect that to be the norm for the rest of the year. I guess I can understand a shortage of some things but to not have ANY of the main components of this event...ends up being a waste of time for those who practiced and got their powders/chromatography down.

On a side note, anyone ever gotten mass spectroscopy instead of chromatograms? Or know of a test online that has questions? I haven't checked yet.
Call me coach.
pirate_capn38
State: TX

Post by pirate_capn38 »

monkeysareawesome wrote:have any of you any had ballistics on a test, and if you have what did they ask you/what did you need to know to answer the questions??
Generally there isn't much on ballistics... even if there is, anything I've ever seen is mostly matching. It's good to know the basics (rifling), but beyond that, it doesn't really ever compose a large part of the test.
jazzy009 wrote:
On a side note, anyone ever gotten mass spectroscopy instead of chromatograms? Or know of a test online that has questions? I haven't checked yet.
I've seen some mass spec, but it's also largely matching again. Some theory on how it works, too. Sadly, any more than that is really up for grabs for anyone...

Has anyone seen any good water qual this year? In Texas, the invitationals tend not to give us too much, so I'm not sure what to expect. Once again, a plea for information on a good conductivity tester? What do y'all use? Thanks. :)
LASA, 2011.

"Trouble means better stories."
sisomg11
State: OH

Post by sisomg11 »

I also recently experienced a test that was entirely written - no lab. Some multiple choice and results of lab given to us. Anyone else experience similar frustration?
2007(B):Solar System, Tower Building
2008(C):Food Chemistry, Rocks and Minerals, Fermi Questions, Disease Detectives (as a backup in case of conflicts)
2009:Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, TPS (as backup)
2010:Chem Lab, Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, Picture This
sisomg11
State: OH

Post by sisomg11 »

pirate_capn38 wrote: Has anyone seen any good water qual this year? In Texas, the invitationals tend not to give us too much, so I'm not sure what to expect. Once again, a plea for information on a good conductivity tester? What do y'all use? Thanks. :)

For water quality, the Ohio invitationals so far have been mainly color matching (if you also do enviro, you know what I mean - just with iron, hardness, etc tests instead of N-P-K tests). We don't typically use a conductivity tester for our powder analysis - instead we tend to rely primarily on Flame, solubility, NaOH, and HCl tests - which between them can cover nearly all the powders.
2007(B):Solar System, Tower Building
2008(C):Food Chemistry, Rocks and Minerals, Fermi Questions, Disease Detectives (as a backup in case of conflicts)
2009:Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, TPS (as backup)
2010:Chem Lab, Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, Picture This
Sonatina

Post by Sonatina »

Speaking of ballistics, has anyone ever seen anything about "bullet striations" on a test that wasn't straight matching? I really don't know what (if anything) I should be looking up for that category. I know nothing about guns, so I'm thinking there's probably something haha.
pirate_capn38
State: TX

Post by pirate_capn38 »

sisomg11 wrote:
pirate_capn38 wrote: Has anyone seen any good water qual this year? In Texas, the invitationals tend not to give us too much, so I'm not sure what to expect. Once again, a plea for information on a good conductivity tester? What do y'all use? Thanks. :)

For water quality, the Ohio invitationals so far have been mainly color matching (if you also do enviro, you know what I mean - just with iron, hardness, etc tests instead of N-P-K tests). We don't typically use a conductivity tester for our powder analysis - instead we tend to rely primarily on Flame, solubility, NaOH, and HCl tests - which between them can cover nearly all the powders.
Thank you! Texas isn't very good about giving us quality tests.

Out of curiosity, has anyone timed themselves doing qual? About how long is everyone averaging per powder? (Perhaps I'm being OCD, but it's an interesting concept to try...)
LASA, 2011.

"Trouble means better stories."
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

pirate_capn38 wrote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone timed themselves doing qual? About how long is everyone averaging per powder? (Perhaps I'm being OCD, but it's an interesting concept to try...)
I'm a little under 30 minutes for 8 powders. I haven't timed each powder because some take considerably less time than others.
Call me coach.

Return to “2010 Lab Events”