Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Forensics C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
pirate_capn38
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Forensics C

Post by pirate_capn38 »

Hey, would anyone know where to find a conductivity tester for Forensics C? It says in the rules you're allowed to bring in anything as long as it's 9V but the conductivity tester my school has measures in ppm not micro-Siemens. It seems it would show up in water qual to find ions in solution. I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price, though.

Thanks!
LASA, 2011.

"Trouble means better stories."
jazzy009

Re: Science Crime Busters B / Forensics C

Post by jazzy009 »

Rules say you can't use anything that runs on AC current after the conductivity tester, can we use a digital thermometer?
Call me coach.
pirate_capn38

Post by pirate_capn38 »

jazzy009 wrote:Rules say you can't use anything that runs on AC current after the conductivity tester, can we use a digital thermometer?
I believe the AC current requirement was referring specifically to the conductivity tester. The digital thermometer doesn't seem like it'd be prohibited, but I'd ask a rules clarification if I were you.

I'm still searching for a cheap DC current conductivity tester that measures in micro-Siemens. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!
LASA, 2011.

"Trouble means better stories."
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

I don't think a clarification is necessary, unless your digital thermometer plugs into the wall.

ETA: I guess it couldn't hurt, though.
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

I asked the person running forensics at our state comp and she said a digital thermometer is okay.
As for conductivity testers all I have is the blinking 9v one standard in science classes...meh
Call me coach.
ravensrunner14
State: OH

Post by ravensrunner14 »

so what do you think is the easiet/quickest way to test all the powers they give you? :)
RAVENSRUNNER14
3rd: Picture This!
4th: Forensics
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

ravensrunner14 wrote:so what do you think is the easiet/quickest way to test all the powers they give you? :)
So many ways to sarcastically bash your sentence........ :P meh first off, I like black, font that is.

Anyways, I start with Solubility and as long as you make a flow chart it goes pretty swimmingly from there (get it? flow, swimmingly...hahaha)

Now that I'm amused, dead giveaways for a single powder are not good to try as a starter because it's a waste of chemicals and powder, you want to be able to evenly separate powders into "families" until they are in families of 2 or 3 before you do dead giveaways.
Call me coach.
2win

Post by 2win »

i thought thermometers weren't allowed?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Re: Forensics C

Post by aubrey048 »

Is there any book that anybody knows of that has info on how to test powders? I'm not very familiar with forensics (I'm a first-time Olympian) and I'm having trouble figuring our the powders. Anyone have any helpful websites?
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “2010 Lab Events”