Forensics C

SOninja
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by SOninja »

quick word of advice... the B div science crime buster site on soinc.org has water testing stuff,
though it might not be exactly what you need, it's pretty useful and it can get you started :)
2009 States: :D
Crime busters <3 - 1st
*Reach for the Stars* - 1st
Anatomy - 7th

SO forever

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles Austin Beard
gsingh2011
State: MI

Post by gsingh2011 »

I checked the crime busters thing, but it really wasn't what I was looking for.
honestly, the best way to learn to test water is to actually do it.
I can't do it if I don't know where to start. Actually, I know how to do everything except the cation and anion tests. On my regional test we had to test for chloride ions, and I had no idea what to do.
austinwu
State: CA

Post by austinwu »

I'm having quite a hard time with the common ions as well, but maybe it has to do with reacting the free ions with solutions that are provided to you, and then looking for the precipitate?
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows about what, and how to test for turbidity, DO, BOD, and COD?
abhas
State: TX

Post by abhas »

I highly doubt that they are going to ask us to test for BOD because it takes a minimum of 3 days to test for that. They might just give us data and ask us to analyze it. DO, I am not so sure about. Turbidity is pretty basic. You take the water in a vial and use a black and white colored wheel and check for floating particles.

about the cation and anion tests.....the precipitate is the best way to go about some of the ions. maybe not all of them.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

DO is a simple probe, and it is required that they give us the instructions on working it
wexs883198215
State: MD

Post by wexs883198215 »

Any tips on telling the difference between KCl and NaCl? I struggle to see the lavender flame of KCl sometimes, and I would like to have a better way of differentiating the two.
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
2011 - 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), RemSensing (2nd), TPS (1st)
2010 - DynPlanet (1st), 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), Compubots (1st)
2009 - Chem Lab (3rd), 4n6 (2nd), Fossils (2nd), PicThis (3rd), WiDi (3rd)
2008 - Fermi Qs (1st), 4n6 (1st), RemSensing (1st)
gogofofo
State: IL

Post by gogofofo »

wexs883198215 wrote:Any tips on telling the difference between KCl and NaCl? I struggle to see the lavender flame of KCl sometimes, and I would like to have a better way of differentiating the two.
NaCl's flame is unmistakably yellow, at that point it's a matter of differentiating it from the other Na compounds.
State
2009: 1st Forensics, 1st Astronomy, 3rd Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 1st Astro
2011: 1st Forensics, 2nd Astro, 1st TPS

Nationals
2009: 10th Forensics, 3rd Astronomy, 11th Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 9th Astronomy
2011: 2nd Forensics, 8th Astronomy, 10th TPS
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

gogofofo wrote:
wexs883198215 wrote:Any tips on telling the difference between KCl and NaCl? I struggle to see the lavender flame of KCl sometimes, and I would like to have a better way of differentiating the two.
NaCl's flame is unmistakably yellow, at that point it's a matter of differentiating it from the other Na compounds.
...probably not what you want to hear, but if you can't see the lavender flame, you need to relearn flame tests. No offense. It takes a second for the lavender to appear, but once it does it's pretty obvious. As oppose to any sodium compound as gogo pointed out is yellow and stains your loop...argh.
Call me coach.
AustinRHL
State: NM

Post by AustinRHL »

Yeah, loop staining is a major problem for us. We've had to adapt our flowchart because our loops no longer can distinguish between sodium and any of the ones that don't burn, and some of our loops have become permanently colored. Lithium did so particularly badly, and I think that boric acid gets "fused" onto the loop, as well.

We've all been scratching our heads at the water testing portion of the event. We aren't worried about it - it should be straightforward - but we can't fathom how it can replace such essentials as hair and fibers. After all, the event name is Forensics, not Chemical Testing, so what were the event designers thinking?

I've only done Forensics at the national level once before, and as I'm sure that any veterans of the event will remember, the test was absurdly long (I recall multiple hundreds of questions). Is that how the event is always run at nationals, and can we expect it do be the same this year?
Albuquerque Academy '10, University of Chicago '14
State: Chemistry Lab 1st, Cell Biology 1st, Ecology 1st, Environmental Chemistry 2nd
Nationals: Chemistry Lab 32nd, Cell Biology 4th, Environmental Chemistry 5th, Forensics 37th
It's hard to accept that for me, there isn't a next year.
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

AustinRHL wrote:Yeah, loop staining is a major problem for us. We've had to adapt our flowchart because our loops no longer can distinguish between sodium and any of the ones that don't burn, and some of our loops have become permanently colored. Lithium did so particularly badly, and I think that boric acid gets "fused" onto the loop, as well.

We've all been scratching our heads at the water testing portion of the event. We aren't worried about it - it should be straightforward - but we can't fathom how it can replace such essentials as hair and fibers. After all, the event name is Forensics, not Chemical Testing, so what were the event designers thinking?

I've only done Forensics at the national level once before, and as I'm sure that any veterans of the event will remember, the test was absurdly long (I recall multiple hundreds of questions). Is that how the event is always run at nationals, and can we expect it do be the same this year?
Use hydrochloric acid. Even a diluted amount will get rid of the stains.

As for the length of test, the person who writes the Nats test suggests to people writing tests something along the lines of this:
Invitationals: 100 points
Regions: 200 points
State/Nats: 300-400 points
She claims that this will separate the teams adequately without having too many ties. Sound logic, I suppose.
Call me coach.

Return to “2010 Lab Events”