Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trajectory B/C

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

To my surprise people seem to have lower standard machines and ability in Trajectory at the higher levels than I thought. The amount of machines at State that had scores in the thousands was pretty high.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

State: 1st: Trajectory, 6th: History of Science, 11th: Picture This

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

Hutto Invitationals: 2nd: Picture This, 4th: Forensics, 4th: Trajectory
hlall
State: MD

Post by hlall »

We got 4th and were a few centimeters off each target. Only took two shots, since we didn't realize the time crunch at nationals.
ichaelm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

I'm from BC in division B, we got 20th in trajectory. I was also surprised all the totally awesome devices there!! I think we got about 6 cm off on each target, and we hit the bucket twice. Actually, let me correct that: on our first bucket shot, it went inside the bucket, bounced up, and landed on the ground behind the bucket. However, through our goggles, my partner and I both thought it stayed in!!! :lol: :lol: And the whole crowd was cheering like mad!! So we didn't change the setting for the second shot. And that time we saw it bounce out. But we were convinced we had gotten -150 for the buckets. Until we talked to our friends sitting there, who showed me the truth (I even needed to see the video! :lol:) So with a score of approximately positive 20 by my estimation, we got 20th place. Again, all the devices were surprisingly accurate, and all of you guys handled yourselves really well. Does anyone else wanna share their performance?
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

I forgot to impound the pole that I use to set the trajectory position at nationals, but my partner was able to use his hand to do the same job. Time was a big issue, I had not time to check the power settings and little time to do more then guess at how much to readjust my device by after each shot. I was able to eak out a pretty decent score and come in 33rd though
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Lily Essence
State: TX

Post by Lily Essence »

My coach told me after the coaches meeting that we weren't allowed to bring in lazers that said "Danger." He said only "Caution" was allowed, so we ripped the lazer off before impound. It didn't really matter because the bucket shot was 8 M out and 2 M to the right. We'd only callibrated to 8M, so even if we had the lazer, we didn't have the callibrations for something further than 8M in a straight line (I'm guessing the bucket would be something around 8200-8300 in a straight line).

My first shot at the close (6M, 1M high) was 200-something mm and the second 140-something.
My third (8M) was 60-something mm and the fourth 20-something.

16th place. Not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it since I've had some really bad encounters with devices at state.

Did anyone else see the absolutely cute plastic cup and duct tape pulled back by a string in C division? It was so funny, but I felt bad for that team because FedEx lost their device...
AlphaTauri wrote:Really? I was thinking more along the lines of -400 for first (about 7 cm off each target, two bucket shots- one hit the bucket and bounced, the other went in, full graphs, and no penalties) and -200 to medal. Seems reasonable, but I have no idea.
Well, I'm not sure -400s are possible. Are you talking about C division? Because I was talking about B division...
Silent and Listen are spelled with the same letters
Seven Lakes SLHS Science Olympiad
Retiring my competition career! Off to scold the newbies as a manager!
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

Oh my god i just realized that i most certainly got a lower/better score than you (no offense sorry) but i got 20th and you got 14th and i'm trying to remember if we ever turned in the graphs. At first we tried to turn them in right before our run but they told us that they'd take it later. i dont remember ever actually turning them in. ahhhhhh!!! I need to check or impound box for the graphs tomorrow. hahahahahaha if we forgot to turn them in then that is the second most stupid thing I have ever done at nationals!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow they'd never let me live this one up.
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

Our device was pretty good for any targets shorter than 7 m (and 6 m high), but they of course decided to give us a target at 6 m raised to 1 m and an 8m target. Thus, we missed the first... and the second (we landed about 10 cm outside the target area). Not shockingly, we got 56th :lol:
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Our device was beautifully accurate for any ground target (within 5cm accuracy), but because our settings for targets between ground and 2m were based on non-linear calculations with relatively few data points, we got about 30cm off at the 1.4m target we were given at Nationals (exact same target as at NY States, btw, which we didn't expect, even though we knew it was the same supervisor). We messed up our second shot on the high target, so our 30cm on that target was our best, and we had about 5-10cm on the ground target on our first shot, so we took a bucket shot.
Unfortunately, our laser (which was a "Danger" laser- actually less dangerous than the "Caution" ones, I think, but I forget what order the different warning labels go) wasn't bright enough to show up under the spotlights that they had shining on the Trajectory area, and so our bucket shot was the perfect distance but about 15-20 degrees to the right :( . We got 15th, though, so it's all good (that's the best my school has ever done in Trajectory...).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

Lily Essence wrote:My coach told me after the coaches meeting that we weren't allowed to bring in lazers that said "Danger." He said only "Caution" was allowed, so we ripped the lazer off before impound. It didn't really matter because the bucket shot was 8 M out and 2 M to the right. We'd only callibrated to 8M, so even if we had the lazer, we didn't have the callibrations for something further than 8M in a straight line (I'm guessing the bucket would be something around 8200-8300 in a straight line).

My first shot at the close (6M, 1M high) was 200-something mm and the second 140-something.
My third (8M) was 60-something mm and the fourth 20-something.

16th place. Not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it since I've had some really bad encounters with devices at state.

Did anyone else see the absolutely cute plastic cup and duct tape pulled back by a string in C division? It was so funny, but I felt bad for that team because FedEx lost their device...
AlphaTauri wrote:Really? I was thinking more along the lines of -400 for first (about 7 cm off each target, two bucket shots- one hit the bucket and bounced, the other went in, full graphs, and no penalties) and -200 to medal. Seems reasonable, but I have no idea.
Well, I'm not sure -400s are possible. Are you talking about C division? Because I was talking about B division...
Nope, I'm talking about B. A perfect score would actually be -600 (0 points for hitting both targets dead center, -200 for both bucket shots staying in, and -400 graph points, with no penalties). At least that's how I interpreted the rules.
haven chuck wrote:Our device was pretty good for any targets shorter than 7 m (and 6 m high), but they of course decided to give us a target at 6 m raised to 1 m and an 8m target. Thus, we missed the first... and the second (we landed about 10 cm outside the target area). Not shockingly, we got 56th :lol:
So basically they gave you the furthest possible targets?
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

You start with 400 points, which the graphs should eliminate. So the perfect score is actually -200.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2010 Build Events”