Trajectory B/C

thepro
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trajectory C

Post by thepro »

I read the discussion about triggers that you guys have had before..but it didn't answer my question. My catapult's [picture attached] trigger is the white bar with holes every centimeter. When we pull a string attached to the bar, it releases the arm which shoots the golf ball.
The rules say that the device must fit within a 60X60 cube prior to all launches, but when we load the catapult to some of the lower holes the white "trigger arm" extends out of the box. Is this considered part of the device? or is it part of the trigger..and thus allowed to extend out of the 60X60 cube?
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME

Post by starpug »

thepro wrote:I read the discussion about triggers that you guys have had before..but it didn't answer my question. My catapult's [picture attached] trigger is the white bar with holes every centimeter. When we pull a string attached to the bar, it releases the arm which shoots the golf ball.
The rules say that the device must fit within a 60X60 cube prior to all launches, but when we load the catapult to some of the lower holes the white "trigger arm" extends out of the box. Is this considered part of the device? or is it part of the trigger..and thus allowed to extend out of the 60X60 cube?
well to start a standard golf ball is not one this years allowed projectiles, you can use either a tennis ball, a racquetball, a ping pong ball, or a practice golf ball. So I hope that you are referring to a practice golf ball not an actual regulation one.

To answer your question I would consider that out of the box.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

thepro wrote:I read the discussion about triggers that you guys have had before..but it didn't answer my question. My catapult's [picture attached] trigger is the white bar with holes every centimeter. When we pull a string attached to the bar, it releases the arm which shoots the golf ball.
The picture isn't actually visible- for the [img] tags to work, the image has to be hosted at a static location, for which mail.google.com accounts unfortunately don't work.

The rules aren't particularly clear on this point. I'd say, if it's a fixed piece of your device- even if its only role is triggering the launch- most event supervisors will probably consider it part of the device, rather than part of the trigger, and insist that it fits within the 60 x 60 x 60 cube. If it's detachable and really only necessary to trigger the launch (i.e., if removed, the device could still be triggered by hand), then it would probably be considered part of the triggering mechanism.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Re: Trajectory B/C

Post by AlphaTauri »

From way back in the thread, but same principle here:
AlphaTauri wrote:IF you want, just to be safe, you could rig a spring or something of the like to pull the metal rod back into the 60cm cube after the launch (i.e. you pull the string and the metal rod backwards, firing the catapult, then you let go of the string and the spring pulls the rod back into the cube). I don't know how or if this is going to affect the rest of the catapult, so proceed carefully if you decide to follow my advice.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

AlphaTauri wrote:From way back in the thread, but same principle here:
AlphaTauri wrote:IF you want, just to be safe, you could rig a spring or something of the like to pull the metal rod back into the 60cm cube after the launch (i.e. you pull the string and the metal rod backwards, firing the catapult, then you let go of the string and the spring pulls the rod back into the cube). I don't know how or if this is going to affect the rest of the catapult, so proceed carefully if you decide to follow my advice.
This is actually exactly what we have. Our launch mechanism involves a threaded rod (I described it a page or so back), and it's held in place by a thin bungee cord that springs it back to within the 60 x 60 x 60 cube after launch.
--
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by haven chuck »

Does anyone know what the distances and heights were for the NY State Competition? The NY Science Olympiad website (http://www.newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/cstate2010.html) says the winning score was -50, so I'm curious what the targets were.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

haven chuck wrote:Does anyone know what the distances and heights were for the NY State Competition? The NY Science Olympiad website (http://www.newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/cstate2010.html) says the winning score was -50, so I'm curious what the targets were.
The targets were at 9.5m (ground) and 3.5m, 1.4m up.
--
earthbot25

Post by earthbot25 »

was that for b or c? sorry just answered my own question, c obviously
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab
sean9keenan

Post by sean9keenan »

earthbot25 wrote:was that for b or c?
C division, B division does not have high targets over 1 meter, or 9.5 meters out I don't believe
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Correct. B goes to 8 meters, up to 1 meter high.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2010 Build Events”