Battery Buggy B

new horizon
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by new horizon »

that's a great time! ours is slower, by about a few seconds.

As long as you can get results without inconsistencies in skid, you'll probably place in a very competitive state/nationals.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Does anyone know if we will be able to wipe the floor before our run at the competition?
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

SOCoach wrote:What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.
Last time that I checked, our team's buggy was travelling 8 meters in about 4 seconds. That translates into around 5 seconds for 10 meters.
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

SLM wrote:
SOCoach wrote:What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.
Last time that I checked, our team's buggy was travelling 8 meters in about 4 seconds. That translates into around 5 seconds for 10 meters.
not necessary. You have to factor in your max. speed and how long it takes to get there (your acceleration) before you can say something like that. There may be teams that have very fast 10m times, but their 5m times are lacking. Adjustable gear ratios would be great for this, however I don't see how this is possible.
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

new horizon wrote:
SLM wrote:
not necessary. You have to factor in your max. speed and how long it takes to get there (your acceleration) before you can say something like that. There may be teams that have very fast 10m times, but their 5m times are lacking. Adjustable gear ratios would be great for this, however I don't see how this is possible.
Let's assume the buggy reaches its terminal speed at 5 m mark (in our case, it does so around 3 m mark). Therefore, from 5 m to 8 m the buggy maintains its terminal speed. If 8 m is covered in 4 seconds, then the average speed is 8/4 = 2 meters per second. Since the terminal speed is greater than the average speed, then for the last 2 meters (from 8 m to 10 m) the buggy will be moving with a speed greater than 2 m/s. Even if we assume a speed of 2 m/s for the last two meters, the total time comes out close to 5 seconds.
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

Of course, but the winning times are probably going to be very very close. like .5 seconds. That's roughly 10 points so that's quite a bit of points.

And has anyone come up with adjustable gear ratios? like on a bike. that's be pretty cool.
krazyleo
Division: B
State: FL

Post by krazyleo »

dose any one know is electronic relay are allowed and if we can use lazesscioly.org/rules
Last edited by krazyleo on May 13th, 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

lazers are illegal.

I'm not sure about electric relays, I'm pretty sure mech relays are allowed.
krazyleo
Division: B
State: FL

Post by krazyleo »

new horizon wrote:lazers are illegal.

I'm not sure about electric relays, I'm pretty sure mech relays are allowed.
thanx i wanted to make shure because the sate ppl confused me
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

what happened?

if you really want a sighting device use a rifle scope or something. we build two little bridges on the front and the back and set a rod through it. it worked well enough.

Return to “2010 Build Events”