Battery Buggy B

sciolympian
Division: C
State: DE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by sciolympian »

my friend's team used plexiglass and placed a decent 6th place at the states. however my team used plastic en route to 2nd place in the states.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Not saying that its gonna make you fail, it just takes more time to work with. I've had bad experiences with it... :|
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I just found out the wood we're using is birch .69 density, which is really really bad. haha. we got first though, a little scary because our score was terrible (using scrambler from last year and the score tracker)
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

new horizon wrote:well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I just found out the wood we're using is birch .69 density, which is really really bad. haha. we got first though, a little scary because our score was terrible (using scrambler from last year and the score tracker)
I find that often happens at regionals, building events can go absolutely horribly but win because regional competition is naturally weaker due to the fact that a lot of less serious teams exist who often only throw together builds quickly. Regional judges aren't all that reliable either I've found, we got DQ'd at states once because of something we thought was ok and had passed at regionals but apparently wasn't at states. So I find to figure out how well you really did it's better to ask on places like here.
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

fmtiger124 wrote:
new horizon wrote:well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I find that often happens at regionals, building events can go absolutely horribly but win because regional competition is naturally weaker due to the fact that a lot of less serious teams exist who often only throw together builds quickly. Regional judges aren't all that reliable either I've found, we got DQ'd at states once because of something we thought was ok and had passed at regionals but apparently wasn't at states. So I find to figure out how well you really did it's better to ask on places like here.
Not even. This was states. Our state is not as competitive as NY but we do have CMS going to nats every year (which is a pretty competitive group). One of the kids competing who did the 2nd most work (mostly electrical and fixing stuff) said 5 down, I said 5-8, and we get first. wtf... I didn't compete (was alternated for a 7th grader) but the run was horrible. The coaches watching said it was great, then I heard the score and I cringed... perhaps our school really is bad at building events, or I'm not giving myself enough credit...
And last year according to a kid on my team, our scrambler and robocross were DQed for either something stupid that passed through regionals, or bad luck. For JYC this year, our regional judge literally got the rules right when going in, she didn't DQ lots of teams that should've been, and we were given a warning but it was clearly stated in the rules we could do what we were doing. Thankfully we didn't get DQed, but it wasn't really that great because our device screwed on the thing we thought was the least likely to screw up on. Even the buggy judge listed all the "DQs" on this post, and it wasn't close to all of them.
kahafman
Division: B

Post by kahafman »

Jocool wrote:
kahafman wrote:
new_horizon wrote:i don't think you can destroy it, just get a new motor.
Well, he messed up his buggy by melting the motor. It just died. So he's using mine, because I'm not in the event anymore, and the gears don't even work. :cry:
i did more on it than you. by the way who got third? whos an alternate? who got mr. grande angry by loosing his notes. i wouldn't talk. and i didn't destroy it at all. paul said that YOU made the gears wrong. it needed its own axle. and, 2 brakes work fine. we used it on ours. it never broke cus of all weel brakes. it was just too inconsistent. so seriously, stifle yourself kahaf. :x
What are you talking about? I NEVER lost my notes, stop mixing me with Arjuna. And who did Mr. Grande yell at about how the car would never be calibrated in time if they were scared about melting the motor? It broke because you made it break badly, without the motor turning off. And who uses pulleys? Who's idea was that? And I obviously made the gears wrong because I don't know how gears are mounted. *UGH! PAUL!*
Last edited by kahafman on April 25th, 2010, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
States is gonna suck... :(
kahafman

Post by kahafman »

Jocool wrote:
kahafman wrote:
Jocool wrote:back wheel powered and all wheel braking works best.
No, actually. That burns out the motor. You need a good kill-switch and someone who doesn't destroy things by touch, like Josh Curtis or Jack Fishman. lol
jack is good. he at least works.
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman »

kahafman wrote:
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!
Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
kahafman

Post by kahafman »

robotman09 wrote:
kahafman wrote:
Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3
Sorry. Got a little angry there. :oops:
new horizon

Post by new horizon »

kahafman wrote:
robotman09 wrote:
kahafman wrote:
Ok time to knock it off.
Rule #3
Sorry. Got a little angry there. :oops:
dude relax...
I built the entire buggy for my team, ends up I never competed in it cause it wasn't an event at regionals and at states i got alternated for some random 7th grader who didn't really do anything beside talk to people and play games on his computer..

Return to “2010 Build Events”