Battery Buggy B

sciolympian
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: DE

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby sciolympian » April 20th, 2010, 6:32 pm

my friend's team used plexiglass and placed a decent 6th place at the states. however my team used plastic en route to 2nd place in the states.

User avatar
illusionist
Member
Member
Posts: 942
Joined: March 20th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby illusionist » April 20th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Not saying that its gonna make you fail, it just takes more time to work with. I've had bad experiences with it... :|
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 20th, 2010, 7:20 pm

well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I just found out the wood we're using is birch .69 density, which is really really bad. haha. we got first though, a little scary because our score was terrible (using scrambler from last year and the score tracker)

User avatar
fmtiger124
Member
Member
Posts: 480
Joined: March 8th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby fmtiger124 » April 24th, 2010, 4:55 pm

new horizon wrote:well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I just found out the wood we're using is birch .69 density, which is really really bad. haha. we got first though, a little scary because our score was terrible (using scrambler from last year and the score tracker)

I find that often happens at regionals, building events can go absolutely horribly but win because regional competition is naturally weaker due to the fact that a lot of less serious teams exist who often only throw together builds quickly. Regional judges aren't all that reliable either I've found, we got DQ'd at states once because of something we thought was ok and had passed at regionals but apparently wasn't at states. So I find to figure out how well you really did it's better to ask on places like here.
Image

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 24th, 2010, 6:45 pm

fmtiger124 wrote:
new horizon wrote:well, metal has a high density, but it's rather thin. So if you got a very very thin piece of plexiglass you could make it work.

I just found out the wood we're using is birch .69 density, which is really really bad. haha. we got first though, a little scary because our score was terrible (using scrambler from last year and the score tracker)

I find that often happens at regionals, building events can go absolutely horribly but win because regional competition is naturally weaker due to the fact that a lot of less serious teams exist who often only throw together builds quickly. Regional judges aren't all that reliable either I've found, we got DQ'd at states once because of something we thought was ok and had passed at regionals but apparently wasn't at states. So I find to figure out how well you really did it's better to ask on places like here.


Not even. This was states. Our state is not as competitive as NY but we do have CMS going to nats every year (which is a pretty competitive group). One of the kids competing who did the 2nd most work (mostly electrical and fixing stuff) said 5 down, I said 5-8, and we get first. wtf... I didn't compete (was alternated for a 7th grader) but the run was horrible. The coaches watching said it was great, then I heard the score and I cringed... perhaps our school really is bad at building events, or I'm not giving myself enough credit...
And last year according to a kid on my team, our scrambler and robocross were DQed for either something stupid that passed through regionals, or bad luck. For JYC this year, our regional judge literally got the rules right when going in, she didn't DQ lots of teams that should've been, and we were given a warning but it was clearly stated in the rules we could do what we were doing. Thankfully we didn't get DQed, but it wasn't really that great because our device screwed on the thing we thought was the least likely to screw up on. Even the buggy judge listed all the "DQs" on this post, and it wasn't close to all of them.

User avatar
kahafman
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: February 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Port Washington, NY 11050
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby kahafman » April 25th, 2010, 6:27 am

Jocool wrote:
kahafman wrote:
new_horizon wrote:i don't think you can destroy it, just get a new motor.


Well, he messed up his buggy by melting the motor. It just died. So he's using mine, because I'm not in the event anymore, and the gears don't even work. :cry:

i did more on it than you. by the way who got third? whos an alternate? who got mr. grande angry by loosing his notes. i wouldn't talk. and i didn't destroy it at all. paul said that YOU made the gears wrong. it needed its own axle. and, 2 brakes work fine. we used it on ours. it never broke cus of all weel brakes. it was just too inconsistent. so seriously, stifle yourself kahaf. :x


What are you talking about? I NEVER lost my notes, stop mixing me with Arjuna. And who did Mr. Grande yell at about how the car would never be calibrated in time if they were scared about melting the motor? It broke because you made it break badly, without the motor turning off. And who uses pulleys? Who's idea was that? And I obviously made the gears wrong because I don't know how gears are mounted. *UGH! PAUL!*
Last edited by kahafman on April 25th, 2010, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
States is gonna suck... :(

User avatar
kahafman
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: February 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Port Washington, NY 11050
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby kahafman » April 25th, 2010, 6:29 am

Jocool wrote:
kahafman wrote:
Jocool wrote:back wheel powered and all wheel braking works best.


No, actually. That burns out the motor. You need a good kill-switch and someone who doesn't destroy things by touch, like Josh Curtis or Jack Fishman. lol

jack is good. he at least works.


AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!
States is gonna suck... :(

robotman
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1447
Joined: June 29th, 2008, 7:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby robotman » April 25th, 2010, 6:34 am

kahafman wrote:
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!

Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3

User avatar
kahafman
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: February 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Port Washington, NY 11050
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby kahafman » April 25th, 2010, 7:21 am

robotman09 wrote:
kahafman wrote:
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!

Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3


Sorry. Got a little angry there. :oops:
States is gonna suck... :(

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 25th, 2010, 7:41 am

kahafman wrote:
robotman09 wrote:
kahafman wrote:
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!

Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3


Sorry. Got a little angry there. :oops:


dude relax...
I built the entire buggy for my team, ends up I never competed in it cause it wasn't an event at regionals and at states i got alternated for some random 7th grader who didn't really do anything beside talk to people and play games on his computer..

User avatar
Jocool
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: December 23rd, 2008, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Jocool » April 26th, 2010, 1:02 pm

kahafman wrote:
robotman09 wrote:
kahafman wrote:
AND JACK IS GOOD?! HOW IS HE GOOD? YOU'RE NEVER IN THE COMPUTER LAB! WHEN JUSTIN ASKED WHO WAS PLAYING GAMES, JACK ACTUALLY RAISED HIS HAND? AND YOU'RE SAYING JACK IS GOOD? HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO EXCEPT PLAY GAMES AND LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PLAY WITH A MINI SOCCER BALL!

Ok time to knock it off.
Please keep all personal Disputes to your team meeting we don't wish to/care to hear about them.
Rule #3


Sorry. Got a little angry there. :oops:

u got angry? you flat out insultedme here. wats up with that? and wat about your sig? how bout that? and jack does do work when he can. he's very helpful wen we need him.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 26th, 2010, 1:18 pm

yooooo relaxxxx.

:)

yo jocool, when your season's over, would you mind taking pics? because i'm kinda interested in what you mean by a double wingnut axle rod. xD

i'll upload my buggy pics after natl's are done.

User avatar
illusionist
Member
Member
Posts: 942
Joined: March 20th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby illusionist » April 26th, 2010, 1:37 pm

wait, in the rules it says that you can get the 20 point bonus if the wheels do not cross the center line. How does that work with a 3 wheeled vehicle? since 1 wheel will always be on the line?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

User avatar
Jocool
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: December 23rd, 2008, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Jocool » April 26th, 2010, 6:17 pm

as long as part of the weel base encompasses the center line.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

User avatar
kahafman
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: February 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Port Washington, NY 11050
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby kahafman » April 27th, 2010, 5:13 pm

illusionist wrote:wait, in the rules it says that you can get the 20 point bonus if the wheels do not cross the center line. How does that work with a 3 wheeled vehicle? since 1 wheel will always be on the line?


Jocool wrote:as long as part of the weel base encompasses the center line.


Both of you are wrong, because the rules say the wheel base has to be at least 20-28cm, i think. So that would be illegal. And Jocool, I was wrong about Jack. He does work.
States is gonna suck... :(


Return to “2010 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest