Battery Buggy B

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 27th, 2010, 5:42 pm

it's 24-28 cm.

I'm not sure what they define the wheel base as (haven't checked my rules in forever), but if your buggy is a 3 wheeled, most probably the front wheel just has to stay on the center line.

User avatar
Jocool
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: December 23rd, 2008, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Jocool » April 27th, 2010, 6:45 pm

kahafman wrote:
illusionist wrote:wait, in the rules it says that you can get the 20 point bonus if the wheels do not cross the center line. How does that work with a 3 wheeled vehicle? since 1 wheel will always be on the line?


Jocool wrote:as long as part of the weel base encompasses the center line.


Both of you are wrong, because the rules say the wheel base has to be at least 20-28cm, i think. So that would be illegal. And Jocool, I was wrong about Jack. He does work.

thank u. for admitting jack does work. and kahaf, thats the parameters for the wheel base. i think that it would be allowed, except wat i think your saying kahaf is that it is illegal cuz one wheel is under the limit. i agree with that statement.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

User avatar
illusionist
Member
Member
Posts: 942
Joined: March 20th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby illusionist » April 27th, 2010, 6:51 pm

I'm not using a 3-wheeled design, I was just wondering...
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

SOCoach
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: January 16th, 2003, 6:08 am

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SOCoach » April 27th, 2010, 7:30 pm

What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.

User avatar
Jocool
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: December 23rd, 2008, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Jocool » April 27th, 2010, 7:54 pm

that is a pretty good time. our time is a little slower.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 27th, 2010, 8:01 pm

that's a great time! ours is slower, by about a few seconds.

As long as you can get results without inconsistencies in skid, you'll probably place in a very competitive state/nationals.

User avatar
illusionist
Member
Member
Posts: 942
Joined: March 20th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby illusionist » April 28th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Does anyone know if we will be able to wipe the floor before our run at the competition?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

SLM
Member
Member
Posts: 195
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 2:24 pm
Division: Grad

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SLM » April 28th, 2010, 3:41 pm

SOCoach wrote:What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.


Last time that I checked, our team's buggy was travelling 8 meters in about 4 seconds. That translates into around 5 seconds for 10 meters.

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » April 28th, 2010, 6:43 pm

SLM wrote:
SOCoach wrote:What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.


Last time that I checked, our team's buggy was travelling 8 meters in about 4 seconds. That translates into around 5 seconds for 10 meters.


not necessary. You have to factor in your max. speed and how long it takes to get there (your acceleration) before you can say something like that. There may be teams that have very fast 10m times, but their 5m times are lacking. Adjustable gear ratios would be great for this, however I don't see how this is possible.

SLM
Member
Member
Posts: 195
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 2:24 pm
Division: Grad

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SLM » April 28th, 2010, 8:11 pm

new horizon wrote:
SLM wrote:
SOCoach wrote:What kind of speed is everyone's buggy running? I was curious if teams were going for a slower car for more accuracy, or going for speed. My kid's car is traveling the max 10 Meter distance is just over 5 seconds.


Last time that I checked, our team's buggy was travelling 8 meters in about 4 seconds. That translates into around 5 seconds for 10 meters.


not necessary. You have to factor in your max. speed and how long it takes to get there (your acceleration) before you can say something like that. There may be teams that have very fast 10m times, but their 5m times are lacking. Adjustable gear ratios would be great for this, however I don't see how this is possible.


Let's assume the buggy reaches its terminal speed at 5 m mark (in our case, it does so around 3 m mark). Therefore, from 5 m to 8 m the buggy maintains its terminal speed. If 8 m is covered in 4 seconds, then the average speed is 8/4 = 2 meters per second. Since the terminal speed is greater than the average speed, then for the last 2 meters (from 8 m to 10 m) the buggy will be moving with a speed greater than 2 m/s. Even if we assume a speed of 2 m/s for the last two meters, the total time comes out close to 5 seconds.

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » May 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Of course, but the winning times are probably going to be very very close. like .5 seconds. That's roughly 10 points so that's quite a bit of points.

And has anyone come up with adjustable gear ratios? like on a bike. that's be pretty cool.

krazyleo
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: May 13th, 2010, 4:47 pm
Division: B
State: FL

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby krazyleo » May 13th, 2010, 5:18 pm

dose any one know is electronic relay are allowed and if we can use lazesscioly.org/rulesScore Tracker
Last edited by krazyleo on May 13th, 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » May 13th, 2010, 5:27 pm

lazers are illegal.

I'm not sure about electric relays, I'm pretty sure mech relays are allowed.

krazyleo
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: May 13th, 2010, 4:47 pm
Division: B
State: FL

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby krazyleo » May 13th, 2010, 5:33 pm

new horizon wrote:lazers are illegal.

I'm not sure about electric relays, I'm pretty sure mech relays are allowed.

thanx i wanted to make shure because the sate ppl confused me

new horizon
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 6:46 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: on pluto.

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby new horizon » May 13th, 2010, 5:35 pm

what happened?

if you really want a sighting device use a rifle scope or something. we build two little bridges on the front and the back and set a rod through it. it worked well enough.


Return to “2010 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest