Battery Buggy B

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby andrewwski » September 25th, 2009, 9:55 pm

No, they're removable batteries then...a battery pack is batteries that are permanently attached together - think the kind you put in RC vehicles. Basically those are generally 4 AA's or other cells attached in series - since rechargeables are 1.2 V, 4 x 1.2 = 4.8.

4 AAA's, AA's, C's, or D's in series are fine.

bob3443

Postby bob3443 » September 26th, 2009, 2:54 pm

hm... so i modded my scrambler from last year a bit with an old motor with two gears, some wires, and a 2 "aa" battery holder. I set it up and my car won't budge at all, but the motor is working just fine. Is this because i'm only using 2 "aa" batteries or because my motor is too weak?

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby robotman » September 26th, 2009, 5:33 pm

it is most likely that you car is too heavy for your motor to break it free of the static friction
so you can either
A. get a stronger motor
B. add more batteries (make sure your motor can handle the current)
C. make a lighter car
D. make a better gear ratio

you are probably going to have to make a new car anyway because of the size requirements

as advice to others starting cars make them light the lighter they are the less strain you put on your gears and the faster they will go because speed is important this year
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

bob3443

Postby bob3443 » September 26th, 2009, 5:53 pm

it is most likely that you car is too heavy for your motor to break it free of the static friction
so you can either
A. get a stronger motor
B. add more batteries (make sure your motor can handle the current)
C. make a lighter car
D. make a better gear ratio

you are probably going to have to make a new car anyway because of the size requirements

as advice to others starting cars make them light the lighter they are the less strain you put on your gears and the faster they will go because speed is important this year
yeah i'm going to make a totally new car but i haven't decided what i actually need and haven't designed everything yet.

A. I'm looking around for motors but most are 12 vdc. I'm also thinking about using a dual shaft motor, gears and cogbelts. could someone send me a link to any good, strong motor or gearbox?
B. i'm planning on using 4 "aa" batteries( i don't have a holder yet)
C. the new car will much much smaller and lighter
D. right now the gear ratio is 5:2(50:20), what ratio should i have for a gearbelt?

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby fleet130 » September 26th, 2009, 8:34 pm

could someone send me a link to any good, strong motor or gearbox?
Click Here

Seriously, it don't get much better than this. (Or try HD, Lowes, Menards, etc)
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Postby gh » September 29th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Tamiya gearboxes might be acceptable for very light cars, and are nice to use. If you have a lot of cash, you could check out Robot MarketPlace. BaneBots has some nice, easy to mount geared-down motors for the right voltage range: 25mm, FF-180 motor.

For EV, I would have recommended continuous rotation servos, but then they're not very fast.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

Cane96
Division: B
State: FL

Postby Cane96 » October 1st, 2009, 5:25 pm

this is my first competition so can anyone give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated :D
Chuck Norris doesn't believe in god, god believes Chuck Norris

Cyrus_D
State: KS

Postby Cyrus_D » October 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm

has anyone thought of using a HDD motor for battery buggy? I don't know how you would make a stepper configuration light enough so that it accually moves but if its possible i'd like to see :D

Bjsong

Postby Bjsong » October 31st, 2009, 7:18 pm

Since I will need a threaded axle for the battery buggy what kind of store sells them? I can't seem to find any in any of the stores around town.

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby robotman » October 31st, 2009, 7:27 pm

try your local hardware store Like an Ace or Menards or Home Depot somewhere like that ask for threaded rods and someone should be able to help

i suggest that you get also everything else you need for the brake and axle like nuts and wingnuts

just for a basic car you would need (depending on how secure you want the axle and wheels)

18 nuts (two on each side of axle --\\|----------|//-- like that and than add your wheels and add two more on each side of the wheels locking the nuts together you lock them by tightening together and than turning them in the oposite direstion so you axle would look like -\\[]--\\|--------|//--[]//- )

than one wing nut

if you count you will find that i didnt include 2 nuts they will go on the braking axle so the wingnut will stop

so your car will look like
-\\[]--\\|--------|//--[]//-

-\\[]--\\|--\\-<--|//--[]//-

\= nuts
[]=wheels
|=body
--=axle
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

Return to “2010 Build Events”