It's About Time C

Science Zone
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by Science Zone »

Can i get a practice test for It's about time. thanks in advance ;)
Primate

Post by Primate »

events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Melkor6000

Post by Melkor6000 »

Here's an idea that my school might end up using at states.

A Stirling Engine converts ambient heat into kinetic energy in a flywheel via volumetric changes in a cylinder, and a temperature differential between a hot and a cold chamber. If you built a Stirling engine (very precisely, or course, since they are notoriously persnickety to build) and embedded the cold chamber in a cooler of ice, and focused a parabolic mirror onto the hot chamber, the resulting difference in temperature should be enough to get things moving. All you'd need to do was come up with a way to gear it down to read the time more accurately. So essentially, you'd impound a camp oven and a cooler of ice : )

Any thoughts?
2007-2008 Regionals: Boomilever (3rd), Environmental Chem (5th)
2008-2009 Regionals: Fossils (4th), Physics Lab (4th), Alternative Energy (2nd)
2009-2010 Regionals: Astronomy (1st), Fossils (3rd), Mission Possible (6th), Physics Lab (1st), Trajectory (2nd)
09-10 Kinda-Captain
Clarence High School
rockhound
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

Melkor6000 wrote:Here's an idea that my school might end up using at states.

A Stirling Engine converts ambient heat into kinetic energy in a flywheel via volumetric changes in a cylinder, and a temperature differential between a hot and a cold chamber. If you built a Stirling engine (very precisely, or course, since they are notoriously persnickety to build) and embedded the cold chamber in a cooler of ice, and focused a parabolic mirror onto the hot chamber, the resulting difference in temperature should be enough to get things moving. All you'd need to do was come up with a way to gear it down to read the time more accurately. So essentially, you'd impound a camp oven and a cooler of ice : )

Any thoughts?
When you say "camp oven" are you refering to the parabolic mirror or something else? Can a parabolic mirror heat something from flourescent lights?
Melkor6000

Post by Melkor6000 »

rockhound wrote:
Melkor6000 wrote:Here's an idea that my school might end up using at states.

Any thoughts?
When you say "camp oven" are you refering to the parabolic mirror or something else? Can a parabolic mirror heat something from flourescent lights?
Well, that's one thing we're going to test, whether a arabolic mirror can be focused on a 60 or 70 Watt bulb at several feet and have a noticeable difference. It could be that the ice itelf is enough
2007-2008 Regionals: Boomilever (3rd), Environmental Chem (5th)
2008-2009 Regionals: Fossils (4th), Physics Lab (4th), Alternative Energy (2nd)
2009-2010 Regionals: Astronomy (1st), Fossils (3rd), Mission Possible (6th), Physics Lab (1st), Trajectory (2nd)
09-10 Kinda-Captain
Clarence High School
walkingstyx
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

That idea sounds incredibly cool, but not especially good at keeping time. It sounds as though ambient temperature differences could have a huge impact on how well this clock worked, not to mention how difficult it would be to build and the likelihood of it being destroyed in travel. Awesome ideas are fun, but only if they work well. If your goal is to win, I would suggest going with a simple natural harmonic oscillator and calibrating it to death. Our device for Nats last year was a pendulum and Troy's (the winners) was an oscillating spring. Both were very simple, but their operators knew them well enough to keep virtually perfect time. Also, simple devices tend to travel better. Our pendulum survived a car wreck on the way home from State, while some of our complex devices can hardly handle being picked up in the classroom.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

We had our regional competition on Saturday in Minnesota (not the most competitive state) and I got to see the raw scores for the event and I was amazed at the scores for the time trials. There were at least 5 teams within a 48/50 for the trials. The deciding part really seemed to be the test. Out team got 5th in the time trials with a low 48 score (48.3 I think) but got 1st overall because we did well on the test. As far as I know all of the designs were relatively simple pendulums.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
texan92
State: TX

Post by texan92 »

That idea sounds incredibly cool, but not especially good at keeping time. It sounds as though ambient temperature differences could have a huge impact on how well this clock worked, not to mention how difficult it would be to build and the likelihood of it being destroyed in travel. Awesome ideas are fun, but only if they work well. If your goal is to win, I would suggest going with a simple natural harmonic oscillator and calibrating it to death. Our device for Nats last year was a pendulum and Troy's (the winners) was an oscillating spring. Both were very simple, but their operators knew them well enough to keep virtually perfect time. Also, simple devices tend to travel better. Our pendulum survived a car wreck on the way home from State, while some of our complex devices can hardly handle being picked up in the classroom.
Did your pendulum have an escapement?
Jazzy09

Post by Jazzy09 »

Paradox21 wrote:We had our regional competition on Saturday in Minnesota (not the most competitive state) and I got to see the raw scores for the event and I was amazed at the scores for the time trials. There were at least 5 teams within a 48/50 for the trials. The deciding part really seemed to be the test. Out team got 5th in the time trials with a low 48 score (48.3 I think) but got 1st overall because we did well on the test. As far as I know all of the designs were relatively simple pendulums.
lololol that is not true
“He who is humble is confident and wise. He who brags is insecure and lacking.”
-Lisa Edmondson
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Jazzy09 wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:We had our regional competition on Saturday in Minnesota (not the most competitive state) and I got to see the raw scores for the event and I was amazed at the scores for the time trials. There were at least 5 teams within a 48/50 for the trials. The deciding part really seemed to be the test. Out team got 5th in the time trials with a low 48 score (48.3 I think) but got 1st overall because we did well on the test. As far as I know all of the designs were relatively simple pendulums.
lololol that is not true
Do you mean that they didn't have their regional competition Saturday, or that it wasn't in Minnesota?

Return to “2010 Build Events”