Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by harryk »

walkingstyx wrote: I don't think your pendulum is legal. 1m is generally longer than 80cm, so unless you can fit it into the cube in pieces and assemble it after competition starts, and it doesn't sound like it from your description, you are violating construction parameter e.
That is exactly what I did :D , I have to bolt it together in the 5min calibration period given in the rules
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Fuzzy Mint
Division: C
State: WA

Post by Fuzzy Mint »

what sort of questions did people typicaly get on the writing portion?
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

Fuzzy Mint wrote:what sort of questions did people typicaly get on the writing portion?
Ohh... you dont want to get me started :x
take a look through this thread, especially page 8 :D
It will probably let you know what you're in for
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
SuzumiyaTsuna
State: CA

Post by SuzumiyaTsuna »

I think it's funny how a lot of people posted stuff like, "i'm new in this event... give me answers..." kinda stuff when theres already someone who asked that...
Well, in my regional competition the written test was impossible! It talked about Newton and how time is continuous, then gave us 3 super difficult problems that had nothing to do with what i studied(UTC, time zones, pendulums, etc.). It was about dx/dt and stuff which I'm pretty sure is Calculus but w/e we got 15th(which is pretty bad)... hopefully the written test is more decent in the State competition.... :(
I'll miss Science Olympiad... :(
2010 events:
State(i cant believe we made it to State!):
Chem Lab(6th), Picture This(7th)
Elevated Bridge, Physics Lab, Its about time(...)
Regionals:
Picture This(3rd), Physics Lab(4th), Chem Lab(10th)
Elevated Bridge, Its about time(...)
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

SuzumiyaTsuna wrote:I think it's funny how a lot of people posted stuff like, "i'm new in this event... give me answers..." kinda stuff when theres already someone who asked that...
Well, in my regional competition the written test was impossible! It talked about Newton and how time is continuous, then gave us 3 super difficult problems that had nothing to do with what i studied(UTC, time zones, pendulums, etc.). It was about dx/dt and stuff which I'm pretty sure is Calculus but w/e we got 15th(which is pretty bad)... hopefully the written test is more decent in the State competition.... :(
Yeah, regional event coordinators often fail to realize just how impossible it is to study for the entire topic of time. Ironically, the most fair It's About Time test I've taken was the one at the New York state competition. I think there were just over 25 questions, with about a quarter being computational and the rest being facts. For example, we were asked to find out the number of seconds in a week, how long it would take an astronaut to travel 4.3 lightyears if he were traveling at 90% the speed of light, the length of the Ordovician period, and the number of yottaseconds in a yoctasecond.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

those sound really easy.... the last one i'm pretty sure i have in my binder near the front. the other stuff i could do even in my head if i REALLY had to (the seconds in a week wouldn't be very fun)
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

Bogoradwee wrote:those sound really easy.... the last one i'm pretty sure i have in my binder near the front. the other stuff i could do even in my head if i REALLY had to (the seconds in a week wouldn't be very fun)
have you done this event yet!?!?
they may sound easy but they are much more difficult
for ex.-
How many time zones are used in the U.S.? (one of the easier ones, don't forget about territoreis)

What is a modified Julian date?

What timezone do they use in the international space station?

and many other harder questions I cant remember right now
Colorado School of Mines
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Has anyone considered making a pendulum that moves in the path of a cycloid? My calculus book says it is a good idea.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
texan92

Post by texan92 »

For people that have been using rigid rod pendulums, what were your masses of the the pendulum and rod? I was trying out a rigid rod and it doesn't seem to last more that a 100 seconds.

My rod is 20 g while the mass I'm using is 250 g. Is weight of the rod the issue or the contact b/w the rod and axle? I'm using a single ball bearing (3/8 in inner diameter, 5/8 in outer diameter) to put them together fyi.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

i've never made a pendulum, but if you have a heavier mass, wouldn't that more force, meaning more energy behind the swing, allowing it to go longer? That just seems to make sense to me, but i can't remember the physics of a pendulum off hand right now, which probably isn't good considering regionals is on saturday
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

Return to “2010 Build Events”