It's About Time C

rockhound
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by rockhound »

Can someone give me all of the answers that are going to be on the test so that I do not have to do any work? :lol:
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Primate »

rockhound wrote:Can someone give me all of the answers that are going to be on the test so that I do not have to do any work? :lol:
Sure, no problem. This file has everything you need! It's pretty big, though, so it might take a while to download.

Seriously, though, to everyone who's asked for general help with this event: not knowing what to study is probably the most challenging part of this event. Having a test on time is ridiculous--it's a huge topic. You'll definitely see a little physics, especially kinematics. (They seem to have a nasty habit of assuming any equation with t in it is appropriate for the test.) You'll also get tested on the history of time, identifying who did what and when. Finally, you'll see a lot of stuff about current systems of time (sidereal, solar, GMT/UTC, etc) and how to convert between them. Your best bet is to check out these links, as was suggested before, and then do your own research on Google for topics you want to go more in-depth on. You can also look for sample tests or buy the 2010 test packet from the official Science Olympiad store.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

Ha ha ha.
Also, almost everyone misses this sentence in the rules. "They will also be asked to answer questions about issues such as the concept of time, time keeping, astronomy, physics, and mechanics." I would like to concur with everything Primate said, and add that at least at nationals, and probably at all well run competitions, there will be a few astronomy questions. Also, your friendly AP Physics formula sheet is probably going to come in handy.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
saturnian

Post by saturnian »

Primate wrote:Seriously, though, to everyone who's asked for general help with this event: not knowing what to study is probably the most challenging part of this event. Having a test on time is ridiculous--it's a huge topic. You'll definitely see a little physics, especially kinematics. (They seem to have a nasty habit of assuming any equation with t in it is appropriate for the test.) You'll also get tested on the history of time, identifying who did what and when. Finally, you'll see a lot of stuff about current systems of time (sidereal, solar, GMT/UTC, etc) and how to convert between them.
Also, make sure you refresh your knowledge on chemistry, have a list of frequencies of various devices, list of all possible calendars from around the world of all times (you could see questions like: "When Sweden converted to Julian calendar?" or "How many days were in a month in Japan in 16th century?"), great distance formula, and many-many other topics that you may think have nothing to do with time. Basically, your best bet is to have tons of information that you think is related to time and then ton of information that you think is not related to time. Ask your partner to do the same independently. Chances are you will end up with a different set (at least that how it worked out for me last year) and then compile.
genesys

Post by genesys »

what are the most told questions in the Its about time event? please give me straight answer.

saturnian

Post by saturnian »

genesys wrote:what are the most told questions in the Its about time event? please give me straight answer. thanks:)
genesys, i don't think anyone can give you more info than we already did. The questions don't usually repeat (unless event supervisors reuse the test from last year), and, if you go through this thread, you will see the topics that most of us encountered on tests. From here on, you have to do some of your own legwork. This is as straight answer as it goes.
genesys

Post by genesys »

what information did you already give me???:?
Primate

Post by Primate »

genesys wrote:what information did you already give me???:?
Take a look at my post and those following it--it details what you'll likely see. Unfortunately, each and every test is unique. The Science Olympiad organization doesn't provide standardized tests to event coordinators; instead, it's up to each invitational, regional, and state director to create their own. Thus, your best bet is to do as much research as possible on the topics mentioned above. I have a binder of almost 100 pages of information--it's just not something that we can explain to you over these forums. Sorry!

Good luck with your research.
keul9993
State: CA

Post by keul9993 »

Does anyone know if it is really 80cm^3 for the size of the time device?

80cm^3 is like 4cm *4cm*4cm

isn't that really small?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVd14V9uSU

the ones in this video is so much larger than that
Primate

Post by Primate »

keul9993 wrote:Does anyone know if it is really 80cm^3 for the size of the time device?

80cm^3 is like 4cm *4cm*4cm

isn't that really small?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVd14V9uSU

the ones in this video is so much larger than that
Haha, it's not that the volume of the device has to be 80cc or less. Rather, the entire device has to fit inside an 80cm cube, or a cube with dimensions 80cm x 80cm x 80cm. You'll probably find that a tad easier to work with.

Return to “2010 Build Events”