It's About Time C

Jazzy09
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

big pimpin

Post by Jazzy09 »

Paradox21 wrote:Ours sort of got destroyed on the trip home from nationals (but it's better than having it messed up on the way there) and we never bothered to take pictures because it is such a simple design. It was a box, about 1.5 feet tall with a pendulum in it. Believe it or not, we were approaching perfect scores with it. I intend to make a new one once I get a look at the new rules that will hopefully add a bit more consistency (and durability). I will post some pictures if it ends up being any good.
It's still usable, I didn't mess it up as bad as I thought I did. And the state test had 10, not 8, multiple choice questions
“He who is humble is confident and wise. He who brags is insecure and lacking.”
-Lisa Edmondson
GoldenKnightB
State: PA

Re: It's About Time C

Post by GoldenKnightB »

Any major changes in this event? We have not received our rules yet? Thanks.
Jazzy09

Post by Jazzy09 »

no major changes, just small ones, like you can use an electronic scale and the device doesn't have to be impounded
-Lisa Edmondson
physicsphan
Division: Grad

Post by physicsphan »

Jazzy09 wrote:no major changes, just small ones, like you can use an electronic scale and the device doesn't have to be impounded
The device still needs to be impounded.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

physicsphan wrote:
Jazzy09 wrote:no major changes, just small ones, like you can use an electronic scale and the device doesn't have to be impounded
The time keeping device needs to be impounded, the 3-ring binder, calculater, and writing utensils do not.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Jazzy09

white lies

Post by Jazzy09 »

Paradox21 wrote:
physicsphan wrote:
The time keeping device needs to be impounded, the 3-ring binder, calculater, and writing utensils do not.
someone lied to me, its not my fault
-Lisa Edmondson
saturnian

Post by saturnian »

I finally got my hands on the nationals test from last year... and was surprised at the type of questions that were asked: only four required any knowledge of physics (and this is a physics event). The rest were more of a Jeopardy-style. (For example, the frame rate for NTSC TV? Or the Harvest Moon?) And they always tell us that we're the future of the country.

I couldn't help but remember the following from Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 : ''Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so pigeon full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change. ''

Aren't we becoming just like that? If that's the future, it's scary.
manutd94

Post by manutd94 »

saturnian wrote:I finally got my hands on the nationals test from last year... and was surprised at the type of questions that were asked: only four required any knowledge of physics (and this is a physics event). The rest were more of a Jeopardy-style. (For example, the frame rate for NTSC TV? Or the Harvest Moon?) And they always tell us that we're the future of the country.

I couldn't help but remember the following from Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 : ''Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so butterfly full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change. ''

Aren't we becoming just like that? If that's the future, it's scary.
Those questions were pretty intense (I got the test as well in the summer) making for a challenging National final. Nevertheless, I think questions that hard are good because then it just shows how broad the best resources need to be in order to succeed in such an event. ;)
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

saturnian wrote:I finally got my hands on the nationals test from last year... and was surprised at the type of questions that were asked: only four required any knowledge of physics (and this is a physics event). The rest were more of a Jeopardy-style. (For example, the frame rate for NTSC TV?
Duh, 29.97.

/nerd ;)
saturnian

Post by saturnian »

Those questions were pretty intense (I got the test as well in the summer) making for a challenging National final. Nevertheless, I think questions that hard are good because then it just shows how broad the best resources need to be in order to succeed in such an event. ;)
I cannot believe any of you thought the test was hard. The only problem that I would consider of moderate difficulty is the one about time dilation. And the rest ... How hard is it to lookup facts? If you feel 'brilliant' by being able to google 'dog watch' and then spit it back on the test, you may enjoy that test. Frankly, I think the test was embarrassing for a National Science competition.

Return to “2010 Build Events”