It's About Time C

saturnian
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by saturnian »

genesys wrote:what are the most told questions in the Its about time event? please give me straight answer. thanks:)
genesys, i don't think anyone can give you more info than we already did. The questions don't usually repeat (unless event supervisors reuse the test from last year), and, if you go through this thread, you will see the topics that most of us encountered on tests. From here on, you have to do some of your own legwork. This is as straight answer as it goes.
genesys
State: TX

Post by genesys »

what information did you already give me???:?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

genesys wrote:what information did you already give me???:?
Take a look at my post and those following it--it details what you'll likely see. Unfortunately, each and every test is unique. The Science Olympiad organization doesn't provide standardized tests to event coordinators; instead, it's up to each invitational, regional, and state director to create their own. Thus, your best bet is to do as much research as possible on the topics mentioned above. I have a binder of almost 100 pages of information--it's just not something that we can explain to you over these forums. Sorry!

Good luck with your research.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
keul9993
State: CA

Post by keul9993 »

Does anyone know if it is really 80cm^3 for the size of the time device?

80cm^3 is like 4cm *4cm*4cm

isn't that really small?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVd14V9uSU

the ones in this video is so much larger than that
Primate

Post by Primate »

keul9993 wrote:Does anyone know if it is really 80cm^3 for the size of the time device?

80cm^3 is like 4cm *4cm*4cm

isn't that really small?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVd14V9uSU

the ones in this video is so much larger than that
Haha, it's not that the volume of the device has to be 80cc or less. Rather, the entire device has to fit inside an 80cm cube, or a cube with dimensions 80cm x 80cm x 80cm. You'll probably find that a tad easier to work with.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Chikuwa

Post by Chikuwa »

Hey! I'm new to this event, and I'm still a little confused on the test.

How do you recommend my partner and I to do the test- Should we split it in half and work on it separately? If so, how do we share the binder in an effective manner? (we had trouble on this during regionals.)

Also, how long are most people's binders? What method of organization did you find best?

If anyone has done this event more than once- do you often see random trivia based on time in tests? On our regional test, there was a question on the incubation period of H1N1, and we had no idea. If so, how do you suggest to prepare for these sorts of things?

Thanks! :) Any information at all would be great.
texan92
Division: Grad

Post by texan92 »

hey i was wondering what everybody was using for the rod of their pendulum. im using fishing line right now but i was thinking about changing over to a metal rod, in order to increase accuracy and stability. however, the problem i see is that the metal rod must be precisely cut in order to have a certain period (say 1 sec). with fishing line, it is easier to calibrate the device and adjust any changes to the period (due to traveling, etc) as needed.

any thoughts on using metal rods?
walkingstyx

Post by walkingstyx »

If you use a metal rod and have a period that is not exactly one second, you can just count the number of oscillations and multiply it by the period. This is a little more time consuming, but you have a minute in between each time trial. If you think it would help with stability and accuracy, don't worry about having an exact period.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
Arabesque
State: OH

Post by Arabesque »

During competitions, are the time trials generally started using three beeps or one? At Mentor this year it was only one, but all of the other competitions we've been to have been three.
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

Arabesque wrote:During competitions, are the time trials generally started using three beeps or one? At Mentor this year it was only one, but all of the other competitions we've been to have been three.
They have to use three. it's part of the rules, isn't it? to use the official SO time trials? they're all available on the official site....
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

Return to “2010 Build Events”