x16VOLTx
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Ringgold Senior High School / Pennsylavania Statue UNiversity, Main
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by x16VOLTx » March 24th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Yes, regionals was on a Wednesday, lol... A 2hr Delay day at my school too, which made it even harder to wake up in the morning... I placed third overall in Mousetrap Vehicle... It's kind of difficult to explain my design, I don't really know how. I didn't use any wiki ideas though.

I wrapped one string to one axel and wound it up, which pulled the vehicle forward, as the forward axel unwound, the other axel started to wind. Once the mousetrap reached its "unset" position, it hit the second trap with a dowel rod I connected, which sent it back to the starting line.

I think the judges that did my event were confused by the rules though. Instead of using the reference point on the car that we were required to have, we had to place the front axel on the starting line, and then they measured the final distance error from the other axel, which is incorrect... In other words, if you started your car with front axel on the starting line, and finished in that exact position, your distance error would have been between 30-34cm (the distance your axels were to be seperated on the vehicle). I don't understand what that was about, but I was already mad that they deducted points because i sprung the trap with my finger rather than a dowel... Sorry I'm not affraid of a machine that I constructed...

The other really huge mess-up in juding was that my car only traveled 3.5m. My tech teacher who was helping me with the event came to the conclusion that the college girl, who was judging us, must have thought that the car only had to reach one of the three lines (either the 3.5, 7, or 8) and then return. In other words, he suggested that instead of going by time and the 8 meter distance you were supposed to reach, our judge based it off of accuracy. My car reversed exactly at the 3.5 meter line, and stopped 1 inch short of the finish/starting line, so I won thrid place, and was placed in Tier 1... I don't know if that's how they judged it or not, but that's the only sense me and my teacher could make out of it... I wasn;t expecting any medal at all, lol... I should have gotten a big time deduction, but im not complaining...
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
And they shall known Glory
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective

x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx » March 24th, 2010, 7:02 pm

I'll try to post pictures of my car once I get it back, it's currently in school locked away in a closet =)... This was my last year doing Science Olympiad, but I plan on sticking around to help people on here and stuff...
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective

penclspinner

Post by penclspinner » March 24th, 2010, 9:45 pm

x16VOLTx wrote: I think the judges that did my event were confused by the rules though. Instead of using the reference point on the car that we were required to have, we had to place the front axel on the starting line, and then they measured the final distance error from the other axel, which is incorrect... In other words, if you started your car with front axel on the starting line, and finished in that exact position, your distance error would have been between 30-34cm (the distance your axels were to be seperated on the vehicle).
They probably thought that the distance score should be measured from the "front" of the car which upon changing direction and reversing became the back part of the car. I can see where they got confused. Still, they should have been measuring from the reference point which would have prevented any confusion.
x16VOLTx wrote: I don't understand what that was about, but I was already mad that they deducted points because i sprung the trap with my finger rather than a dowel... Sorry I'm not affraid of a machine that I constructed...
It doesn't matter if you're afraid or not, the rules state that the device must be activated by a dowel so it would be in your best interests to follow the rules.
x16VOLTx wrote: The other really huge mess-up in juding was that my car only traveled 3.5m. My tech teacher who was helping me with the event came to the conclusion that the college girl, who was judging us, must have thought that the car only had to reach one of the three lines (either the 3.5, 7, or 8) and then return. In other words, he suggested that instead of going by time and the 8 meter distance you were supposed to reach, our judge based it off of accuracy. My car reversed exactly at the 3.5 meter line, and stopped 1 inch short of the finish/starting line, so I won thrid place, and was placed in Tier 1... I don't know if that's how they judged it or not, but that's the only sense me and my teacher could make out of it... I wasn;t expecting any medal at all, lol... I should have gotten a big time deduction, but im not complaining...
Well without having the scoresheets we will never know how your device was scored, it could have been that no one else was capable of doing any better than your performance instead of a mis-score on the judges part.

x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx » March 25th, 2010, 3:53 pm

lmao, I'm assuming you've never been to California University son... Or have seen any of their students... These are not the most brilliant of people, so don't go all technical on me. I did my part, and I did it well.
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » March 25th, 2010, 4:29 pm

x16VOLTx wrote:Yes, regionals was on a Wednesday, lol... A 2hr Delay day at my school too, which made it even harder to wake up in the morning... I placed third overall in Mousetrap Vehicle... It's kind of difficult to explain my design, I don't really know how. I didn't use any wiki ideas though.

I wrapped one string to one axel and wound it up, which pulled the vehicle forward, as the forward axel unwound, the other axel started to wind. Once the mousetrap reached its "unset" position, it hit the second trap with a dowel rod I connected, which sent it back to the starting line.

I think the judges that did my event were confused by the rules though. Instead of using the reference point on the car that we were required to have, we had to place the front axel on the starting line, and then they measured the final distance error from the other axel, which is incorrect... In other words, if you started your car with front axel on the starting line, and finished in that exact position, your distance error would have been between 30-34cm (the distance your axels were to be seperated on the vehicle). I don't understand what that was about, but I was already mad that they deducted points because i sprung the trap with my finger rather than a dowel... Sorry I'm not affraid of a machine that I constructed...

The other really huge mess-up in juding was that my car only traveled 3.5m. My tech teacher who was helping me with the event came to the conclusion that the college girl, who was judging us, must have thought that the car only had to reach one of the three lines (either the 3.5, 7, or 8) and then return. In other words, he suggested that instead of going by time and the 8 meter distance you were supposed to reach, our judge based it off of accuracy. My car reversed exactly at the 3.5 meter line, and stopped 1 inch short of the finish/starting line, so I won thrid place, and was placed in Tier 1... I don't know if that's how they judged it or not, but that's the only sense me and my teacher could make out of it... I wasn;t expecting any medal at all, lol... I should have gotten a big time deduction, but im not complaining...
Lucky you, I get up early on a Saturday...

And sorry, but your way lacks a huge amount of power. The car only making it to 3.5m proves this.

Obviously, just looking at the physics, there is a fatal flaw to that design: As the car goes out, the spring provides a forward force. However, as the other mousetrap winds, that spring provides an equal resisting force, so the car shouldn't move at all were it not for the fact that the trap going forward applies its force first. Not to mention that the first trap will also wind back up in some cases, causing a cycle of out and back. That was my original idea (before I built anything), at which point those flaws were recognized, and the idea scrapped. Hint: Change the design.

You should've been Tier 1ed, you did reverse after all. Except...wait, I think you should've been Tier 4ed, cuz the little rule breaking with the finger.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski » March 25th, 2010, 4:43 pm

Should have been in Tier 3...Tier 3 is competition violations, Tier 4 is construction violations.

winneratlife

Post by winneratlife » March 25th, 2010, 4:48 pm

andrewwski wrote:Should have been in Tier 3...Tier 3 is competition violations, Tier 4 is construction violations.
Oops :D

Also, how can I make a car that reliably goes straight. I'm quite certain my axles are parallel, but the string is attached to a fixed point that is not in the center of the axle, and I think that that may be a problem (uneven pulling on the axle). The problem is, I can't move it, as I need the pin in the middle.

x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx » March 25th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Do you really need to tell me my designed sucked??? I built it in LESS THAN 5 HOURS, the day before regionals, and still placed thrid overall... I have nothing to prove to you. And just for the record, if you check the Out and Back wiki photo gallery, my design mirrors that of one of the cars pictured from Nationals... apparently the design is not a fail!

Power was not a problem, my speed was right with the other competitors, my only flaw was my choice of wheels. I stuck with CDs while most went with vinyl 45s, or even hand constructed wheels of similar size...

Again, seeing as I made it the night before, I didn't have time to go out scavenger hunting at thrift stores for records. I place 3rd, and both of my tech teachers were blown away... They didn't expect me to medal, and neither did I... They were proud, I was shocked, and they spent all of the school day bragging to the other teachers and tech kids... It couldn't have been a better story to end my Senior year of Science Olympiad.

If you want to try to tear me down go ahead, but what person makes a man of himself by finding fault in others... Have some respect. We're all hear for the same thing, to have fun, help each other out, and win a few events along the way... Appreciate and respect the community, son...

Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd Place at Pennsylvania's Southwestern Regionals - March 24, 2010...
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective

winneratlife

Post by winneratlife » March 26th, 2010, 11:42 am

x16VOLTx wrote:Do you really need to tell me my designed sucked??? I built it in LESS THAN 5 HOURS, the day before regionals, and still placed thrid overall... I have nothing to prove to you. And just for the record, if you check the Out and Back wiki photo gallery, my design mirrors that of one of the cars pictured from Nationals... apparently the design is not a fail!

Power was not a problem, my speed was right with the other competitors, my only flaw was my choice of wheels. I stuck with CDs while most went with vinyl 45s, or even hand constructed wheels of similar size...

Again, seeing as I made it the night before, I didn't have time to go out scavenger hunting at thrift stores for records. I place 3rd, and both of my tech teachers were blown away... They didn't expect me to medal, and neither did I... They were proud, I was shocked, and they spent all of the school day bragging to the other teachers and tech kids... It couldn't have been a better story to end my Senior year of Science Olympiad.

If you want to try to tear me down go ahead, but what person makes a man of himself by finding fault in others... Have some respect. We're all hear for the same thing, to have fun, help each other out, and win a few events along the way... Appreciate and respect the community, son...

Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd Place at Pennsylvania's Southwestern Regionals - March 24, 2010...
Chill pl0x...

I'm not trying to tear you down or say the design sucked, it got 3rd, so obviously, it kept you in Tier 1.
I'm just trying to say that there are better designs with more power out there, and that unless I'm misunderstanding your design, in the world of physics, there is a flaw.

x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx » March 26th, 2010, 12:58 pm

lmao, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to freak on you... The end of the third nine weeks was today, I have been so stressed to get all of my work done. As for Physics, lol.... I wish you could be in APC Physics with me, lol... If you saw me in that class, you wouldn't believe that I was SciO worthy, hahaha...

I found out today our team placed 8th at regionals, thought that was pretty cool... As for my car, if it is flawed, then it reflects its creator, lol... I'll never reach perfection, but I;ll try my best =) Again, sorry for being so defensive...
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective

Return to “2010 Build Events”