Mousetrap Vehicle C

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by fleet130 »

You have to be very careful if you use this design. I would think that the piano wire would bend (so not all of the energy would be coming from the mousetraps).
It's a simple matter to insure the piano wire is not bent prior to the start. If it bends after the mousetrap is released, the energy IS coming from the mousetrap. In reality, ALL materials flex to some degree when a force is applied. At what point does this violate the rules? I would suggest, before the mousetrap is released, that you not have tension on the string. An added bonus to this design is that it helps absorb the initial shock when the mousetrap is released.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

winneratlife wrote:
bwy wrote:Does anyone know if swiss-cheesing (drilling holes in the wooden base to make it lighter) the mousetraps is allowed? According to my interpretation, it is, but does anyone know for sure how the judges interpret it?
Nope, we just discussed this on the last page. You need to read before asking.

And no, that is modifying the traps.

Although, if you swiss cheesed the bottom, and not all the way through, I doubt the judges could tell...
Did anyone put in a clarification on this? The rules say that holes may be drilled in the base; they do not say that holes may only be drilled to attach the mousetrap. I know it has no official standing, but the National Event Supervisor told us at a coaches' clinic that there was no limit to the size or number of the holes drilled in the mousetrap base.
packer-backer91
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

Good point!!!! the way that I always read this it would be illegal but now that I went through the rules exact words I think it is OK to drill holes in the base besides to secure the mouse traps to the frame. These rules have too many opposing clauses. For example "unmodified" is used then it explains that things may be added but not taken away which goes against the word "unmodified". Someone should defiantly get that clarified, I would but I am still waiting on one that I sent almost 4weeks ago now.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

packer-backer91 wrote:Good point!!!! the way that I always read this it would be illegal but now that I went through the rules exact words I think it is OK to drill holes in the base besides to secure the mouse traps to the frame. These rules have too many opposing clauses. For example "unmodified" is used then it explains that things may be added but not taken away which goes against the word "unmodified". Someone should defiantly get that clarified, I would but I am still waiting on one that I sent almost 4weeks ago now.
We should also probably ask our state supervisor, that would be a good idea.

On both points.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

Flavorflav wrote:Did anyone put in a clarification on this? The rules say that holes may be drilled in the base; they do not say that holes may only be drilled to attach the mousetrap. I know it has no official standing, but the National Event Supervisor told us at a coaches' clinic that there was no limit to the size or number of the holes drilled in the mousetrap base.
Really? When and where was this clinic at? How did you know it was the national event supervisor, I tried looking this information up on the soinc website and couldn't find a listing of National Event Supervisors.

But if the National Event Supervisor tells you that it's okay, then it must be okay right (at the very least at the National level)? Since they'd be the ones scoring the event at Nationals.

*edit meant soinc website not scioly.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by bwy »

It's kind of a weird question, but I've been testing my car so much and I'm wondering if the mousetrap's spring gets looser or less tense because of all the trials, and if it does, how much does it affect the speed? Or is it such a small difference that it doesn't really matter? I don't really want to build a brand new car the day before States like I did for Regionals...
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

bwy wrote:It's kind of a weird question, but I've been testing my car so much and I'm wondering if the mousetrap's spring gets looser or less tense because of all the trials, and if it does, how much does it affect the speed? Or is it such a small difference that it doesn't really matter? I don't really want to build a brand new car the day before States like I did for Regionals...
I haven't really noticed anything, but I can't say for sure.

How many trials are you trying? I normally do 2, then if I have any particular problem, I try and fix it before testing again. I generally don't "waste" time repeating trials when I already know the outcome.

Although, some strings do get worn down, so you may want to replace that the night before. I know that with my pin-axle design, the reserve is such a sudden pull on the string, it frays it a lot unless I twist a few strings together.
packer-backer91

Post by packer-backer91 »

winneratlife wrote:
bwy wrote:It's kind of a weird question, but I've been testing my car so much and I'm wondering if the mousetrap's spring gets looser or less tense because of all the trials, and if it does, how much does it affect the speed? Or is it such a small difference that it doesn't really matter? I don't really want to build a brand new car the day before States like I did for Regionals...
I haven't really noticed anything, but I can't say for sure.

How many trials are you trying? I normally do 2, then if I have any particular problem, I try and fix it before testing again. I generally don't "waste" time repeating trials when I already know the outcome.

Although, some strings do get worn down, so you may want to replace that the night before. I know that with my pin-axle design, the reserve is such a sudden pull on the string, it frays it a lot unless I twist a few strings together.

yes the mousetraps do loosen, their strength over time weakens after many trials [thus your times will get slower and slower]. I found on my vehicle that the traps had lost a lot of the pull that they started with anyway [I think almost .1kg of pull]. My vehicle when it started was over 3 seconds faster than the one that I took to Regional’s [didn't replace the traps].

You really never waste time doing runs even if you know what will happen. Its more about consistency to me for example if your vehicle makes it over 99/100 time [7m line] is that one time could happen at State so I test my vehicle many times just to see how much variance there is between runs. Luck can have a large part of this event but I would rather have consistent good scores then have a few good ones and the rest bad. I STRONGLY disagree on your stance of changing anything on your vehicle the day before [can have potential to change your performance], I use 100+ pound test string and the chance for that stuff to get worn out is extremely low.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by bwy »

packer-backer91 wrote:My vehicle when it started was over 3 seconds faster than the one that I took to Regional’s [didn't replace the traps]
Wow so you just went in to regionals knowing it could have been 3 seconds faster? It's a good thing you actually kept track of your times the whole way through. I'm debating whether or not 6 points at states is worth making a new vehicle...
packer-backer91 wrote:I STRONGLY disagree on your stance of changing anything on your vehicle the day before [can have potential to change your performance]
That is a good point. I had to do a lot of testing again the day I made the new car just to get the distance right and I never really got it as good as I wanted... I was 27 cm off at regionals.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

bwy wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote:My vehicle when it started was over 3 seconds faster than the one that I took to Regional’s [didn't replace the traps]
Wow so you just went in to regionals knowing it could have been 3 seconds faster? It's a good thing you actually kept track of your times the whole way through. I'm debating whether or not 6 points at states is worth making a new vehicle...
packer-backer91 wrote:I STRONGLY disagree on your stance of changing anything on your vehicle the day before [can have potential to change your performance]
That is a good point. I had to do a lot of testing again the day I made the new car just to get the distance right and I never really got it as good as I wanted... I was 27 cm off at regionals.
:lol:

I test the morning of... On the same floor... To test the floor, due to the fact that I've found that my testing place isn't very reliable.

Return to “2010 Build Events”