Mousetrap Vehicle C

packer-backer91
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by packer-backer91 »

Thanks for explaining that, but to me they need to change the wording of that part, yes we know how the national people want to have the rule but that doesn't mean that this will be the case at States and may vary region by region.

This event has been quite a surprise with the progression of times/ improvement. The really early post had times of 30+ seconds for some then as this season has went on times have been cut in half. Has anyone else made that observation? Theoretically my new vehicle should be around 33% of the original time of my first vehicle! I wish that I could do this event next year I got a few ideas of how to improve my design [too late to change the design this late]. What does anyone think the winning score at Nationals? to me the winner would be >10seconds and distance of >1cm.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
OlympiadLover
Division: C
State: NM

Post by OlympiadLover »

For those of you who are advancing, how fast are your cars?
10' State: 1st: It's About Time and Experimental Design,, 2nd: Picture This, State, National team/UIUC
11' State: 1st: Experimental Design and 1st Wind Power, 3rd Mousetrap Vehicle, National team/UW-Madison
12' State: 3rd Thermodynamics, 3rd Water Quality, 8th Experimental Design, National team/UCF
packer-backer91

OlympiadLover wrote:For those of you who are advancing, how fast are your cars?

depends on the area and amount of compaction. For me I had a vehicle of 22 seconds at Regional’s others regional’s had ones that traveled much faster than that. The range from what I know is between 10 - 30 seconds for the vehicles for this year.

This is old news but I finally got news from the National people asking if one student can be each side of the track [7m & starting line] their response was no that can’t happen. I want to be respectful about this but the reason why they gave me was not even in the rules, I have a feeling that there will be a change next year to allow for an area to have students view the run from.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

packer-backer91 wrote:
OlympiadLover wrote:For those of you who are advancing, how fast are your cars?

depends on the area and amount of compaction. For me I had a vehicle of 22 seconds at Regional’s others regional’s had ones that traveled much faster than that. The range from what I know is between 10 - 30 seconds for the vehicles for this year.

This is old news but I finally got news from the National people asking if one student can be each side of the track [7m & starting line] their response was no that can’t happen. I want to be respectful about this but the reason why they gave me was not even in the rules, I have a feeling that there will be a change next year to allow for an area to have students view the run from.
You have a feeling? o_O

Well good luck with that feeling. I know that I've wanted certain rules to change in the past but nothing has altered unless it was National Clarification level issues or at the very least National FAQ level.

The next best thing would just be to talk to your regional and state directors and ask them if their event supervisors would let you view the mousetrap from the 7-8 meter line.
packer-backer91

Well 4 weeks for a simple no doesn't sound right. Another poster submitted a clarification for this event a few weeks after me and got an answer before me. I asked something that the rules don’t say you cant so It makes me believe that they put some thought on the event's rules, giving my "the feeling" that they might take what I said and modify the rules next year. The question I asked was good, I pointed out why the existing rule was flawed.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

packer-backer91 wrote:Well 4 weeks for a simple no doesn't sound right. Another poster submitted a clarification for this event a few weeks after me and got an answer before me. I asked something that the rules don’t say you cant so It makes me believe that they put some thought on the event's rules, giving my "the feeling" that they might take what I said and modify the rules next year. The question I asked was good, I pointed out why the existing rule was flawed.
Yeah you're right, I stand corrected maybe they did take some time aside in order to re-consider. Maybe they will change the rules for next year.

We'll see what happens...
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

penclspinner wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote:Well 4 weeks for a simple no doesn't sound right. Another poster submitted a clarification for this event a few weeks after me and got an answer before me. I asked something that the rules don’t say you cant so It makes me believe that they put some thought on the event's rules, giving my "the feeling" that they might take what I said and modify the rules next year. The question I asked was good, I pointed out why the existing rule was flawed.
Yeah you're right, I stand corrected maybe they did take some time aside in order to re-consider. Maybe they will change the rules for next year.

We'll see what happens...
Ya, given that the answer this year is no, maybe they'll change the rules next year so it will state explicitly that students can only be on the starting line side of the track. Maybe you are confusing the Junkyard rules with the rules for the rest of the 45 events.....I've heard that for Junkyard in the past, whatever isn't explicitly prohibited in the rules is allowed.
packer-backer91

beaverkid wrote: Ya, given that the answer this year is no, maybe they'll change the rules next year so it will state explicitly that students can only be on the starting line side of the track. Maybe you are confusing the Junkyard rules with the rules for the rest of the 45 events.....I've heard that for Junkyard in the past, whatever isn't explicitly prohibited in the rules is allowed.

I don’t know that you mean by that but, in the rules should have all necessary information to complete an event. If the rules do not cover saying that doing something is illegal or can’t be done then it must be said in the rules. I’m just saying in the response which I got is correct and I respect their decision, but citing rules that are not on the rule sheet confused me for a while. One possibility for the response I got would be the fact that it’s too late to switch the way the event is run now that this year is over for majority of the teams.
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

packer-backer91 wrote:
beaverkid wrote: Ya, given that the answer this year is no, maybe they'll change the rules next year so it will state explicitly that students can only be on the starting line side of the track. Maybe you are confusing the Junkyard rules with the rules for the rest of the 45 events.....I've heard that for Junkyard in the past, whatever isn't explicitly prohibited in the rules is allowed.

I don’t know that you mean by that but, in the rules should have all necessary information to complete an event. If the rules do not cover saying that doing something is illegal or can’t be done then it must be said in the rules. I’m just saying in the response which I got is correct and I respect their decision, but citing rules that are not on the rule sheet confused me for a while. One possibility for the response I got would be the fact that it’s too late to switch the way the event is run now that this year is over for majority of the teams.
The rules don't say you can't have your pet mouse sitting on your mousetrap vehicle...........
packer-backer91

beaverkid wrote:
The rules don't say you can't have your pet mouse sitting on your mousetrap vehicle...........
actually it kind of does "things may be added but not taken away" that means yes you could have a pet mouse on the vehicle, not recommended but the rules do support that :lol:

Return to “2010 Build Events”