Mousetrap Vehicle C

croman74
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by croman74 »

Okay, I got the rules for this today, and I just have some simple questions which I don't understand from reading the rules.
In this event, for the run, you have the vehicle travel out, then come back to the starting line. I get that. What I don't understand is the distance it travels out. Is the distance determined at competition and is between 7 meters and 8 meters? Or is the distance 8 meters?
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I just got this today and I really have little to no idea what to do.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

croman74 wrote:Okay, I got the rules for this today, and I just have some simple questions which I don't understand from reading the rules.
In this event, for the run, you have the vehicle travel out, then come back to the starting line. I get that. What I don't understand is the distance it travels out. Is the distance determined at competition and is between 7 meters and 8 meters? Or is the distance 8 meters?
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I just got this today and I really have little to no idea what to do.

Ideally the vehicle will travel to a point somewhere in between the 7 and 8 meter line in order to receive maximum points.
croman74

Post by croman74 »

So it's not a fixed distance, and you just have to get it somewhere inbetween 7 and 8 meters? There's no target distance going out, just the starting line when you're coming back?
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman »

yea you just have to go at least 7 meters but no more than8 and come back to the center of the starting line
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
croman74

Post by croman74 »

Oh, ok. Thanks for that clarification. The rules really don't specify it.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

since the rules dont seem to specify it i would highly recommend sending in a rule clarification since my statement was based off past rules
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

croman74 wrote:Oh, ok. Thanks for that clarification. The rules really don't specify it.
They do mention it but maybe not explicitly.
6.b.i explains what minimum distance you are targeting for
6.d explains what maximum distance you are trying to not go exceed.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

penclspinner wrote:
croman74 wrote:Oh, ok. Thanks for that clarification. The rules really don't specify it.
Actually, it is pretty explicit. You must cross the 7 m line or receive a penalty of 1000 points (rule 6.b.i). You must not cross the 8 m line, or you will receive a penalty of 50 points (rule 6.d). Other than that, it doesn't matter how far you go unless you fail to reverse - it matters where you stop. If you fail to reverse, then you want to go as close to 7 m as you can, but you will be in the 2nd tier (rule6.b.ii).
jesimine10~IRL
State: IN

Post by jesimine10~IRL »

Flavorflav wrote:
penclspinner wrote:
Actually, it is pretty explicit. You must cross the 7 m line or receive a penalty of 1000 points (rule 6.b.i). You must not cross the 8 m line, or you will receive a penalty of 50 points (rule 6.d). Other than that, it doesn't matter how far you go unless you fail to reverse - it matters where you stop. If you fail to reverse, then you want to go as close to 7 m as you can, but you will be in the 2nd tier (rule6.b.ii).

Thanks! I felt that I knew what was going on with the 7min/8max rule, but it's nice to know I have outside confirmation on my take on that portion of the rules. :]
LIVESTRONG
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Clearly a key part of this event is minimizing axle-frame friction. It will rob you of speed and distance if it is too high. I have been using silicone lubricant on my axle and frame, which are both plastic. Does anyone have opinions on the best lubricants for different surfaces?
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2010 Build Events”