Mousetrap Vehicle C

penclspinner

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby penclspinner » January 31st, 2010, 1:30 pm

Okay, thanks guys.
But mechanism aside, the rules say the traps have to be unmodified. I cut off part of the snapper on my traps and put in a bar to extend the lever arm to get more leverage when operating the trap. Is that considered modifying the trap? If so, how else would you add on and extend a lever arm from the spring? O_O
From the official SO website

"An unmodified mousetrap is one that still retains its original structural integrity to function as intended. Altering the structural integrity of the mousetrap includes, but is not limited to, welding, bending, and cutting of the restraining bar."

You're going to have to ask yourself if the structural integrity of the device was compromised when you did your modification along with whether or not the mousetrap can still function as intended (ie kill a mouse). If you can't fulfill all the above conditions, then the mousetrap would be considered modified.

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » January 31st, 2010, 1:34 pm

Okay, thanks guys.
But mechanism aside, the rules say the traps have to be unmodified. I cut off part of the snapper on my traps and put in a bar to extend the lever arm to get more leverage when operating the trap. Is that considered modifying the trap? If so, how else would you add on and extend a lever arm from the spring? O_O
From the official SO website

"An unmodified mousetrap is one that still retains its original structural integrity to function as intended. Altering the structural integrity of the mousetrap includes, but is not limited to, welding, bending, and cutting of the restraining bar."

You're going to have to ask yourself if the structural integrity of the device was compromised when you did your modification along with whether or not the mousetrap can still function as intended (ie kill a mouse). If you can't fulfill all the above conditions, then the mousetrap would be considered modified.
I don't think you even have to think that hard. You can't cut a piece off and consider it unmodified.

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Paradox21 » January 31st, 2010, 1:36 pm

Unmodified means that all the original parts of the mousetrap remain in place. Things may be added to the mousetrap, but not removed.
From the official rules.
Read the rules. And the rules clarification mentioned by penclspinner.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

winneratlife
State: MI

Postby winneratlife » January 31st, 2010, 5:00 pm

Okay, thanks guys.

You shouldn't have to cut off a snapper in the first place... The moment you have it's modified, seeing as the rules very specifically said "Unmodified means that all the original parts of the mousetrap remain in place. Things may be added to the mousetrap, but not removed." Instead, you could just connect the two killbars by putting a bar in between them. The lever arm should just be an extension of the killbar, not a replacement. Lever arm attached, mousetrap unmodified. Done.

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » February 2nd, 2010, 3:04 pm

How do you loosen the spring on the mousetrap? I've tried moving the bar sticking out of the spring farther to the outside but the other side of the spring just came with it. Is this something you just need pliers and some elbow strength for or is there another way?

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » February 2nd, 2010, 4:38 pm

How do you loosen the spring on the mousetrap? I've tried moving the bar sticking out of the spring farther to the outside but the other side of the spring just came with it. Is this something you just need pliers and some elbow strength for or is there another way?
I'm not sure if there is another way, but I am pretty sure that however you did it it would count as a modification.

inycepoo
Division: C

Postby inycepoo » February 2nd, 2010, 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if there is another way, but I am pretty sure that however you did it it would count as a modification.
It's not like they'd be able to tell, no on'es gonna bend on the ground checking to see if you loosened any springs. As long as it looks unmodified I think you'll get away with it.
But why would you want a looser spring? It'll make your lever arm travel faster and you might not make the distance..unless your wheels have a huge circumference; then it wouldn't be a problem. O_O
Benjamin N. Cardozo represent

2010 New York City Metro Regionals:
Ecology
Mousetrap Vehicle
Sumobots
Trajectory

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » February 2nd, 2010, 5:00 pm

I was under the assumption that modification was only if you removed parts. All of the parts would still be there, but the spring just be more stretched out. To be honest, I have no clue what I was thinking when I asked that. I forgot that the end of the string would be connected to the axles and the wheels would have friction and that would prevent the mousetrap from snapping in microseconds. *facepalm* :roll:

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » February 2nd, 2010, 6:30 pm

I was under the assumption that modification was only if you removed parts. All of the parts would still be there, but the spring just be more stretched out. To be honest, I have no clue what I was thinking when I asked that. I forgot that the end of the string would be connected to the axles and the wheels would have friction and that would prevent the mousetrap from snapping in microseconds. *facepalm* :roll:
To stretch out the spring, you would need to move one or both ends. If you did that, it would not "remain in place," as the rules require.

mcgeek
Division: C
State: DE

Postby mcgeek » February 4th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Hey, this is my first time doing this event (second year of olympiad) and I'm a bit confused. Does anyone have any tips? :oops:

Return to “2010 Build Events”