Mousetrap Vehicle C

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby winneratlife » March 30th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Every gram counts, especially when they're measuring time to hundredths of seconds. Not to mention

That gram could be the difference between first and second (a big difference to me)
yes you are right that you mass matters a lot but besides mass there is may factors that go into having good speed. So if my design weighs a few more grams but is better use of energy I potentially still be faster than many lighter vehicles.
True... energy usage counts for a ton...

Well, I guess we'll see at states... Watch Troy Athens pwn everybody ( :lol: yeah right)

Either way, I think I've got a solid design down, so we'll see at States, eh?
I think we will.

packer-backer91

Postby packer-backer91 » March 30th, 2010, 7:03 pm

anyone want to give away there Regional scores. This is safe to do because your State and Regional score will be a lot different
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

franklinknights
Division: C
State: IL

Postby franklinknights » March 31st, 2010, 7:33 pm

hmm, mine was done in 15 seconds

and i missed the center of start line by 63 inches
still got first cuz guy who was 2nd had his returned @ 3.5 line

my design is two mouse trap same way, one hook holds one down. as it winds, it releases hook from other and gets to go.
my wheels are dvd discs

working on a braking system :ugeek: , i think i hav one. :mrgreen:
:P

those skools from chicago, U R GONNA GET WHOOPED!
Go Central Maroons :)
2011 Season
Helicopter
Dynamic Planet
Mousetrap
Robot Arm

packer-backer91

Postby packer-backer91 » April 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

that is a very good time! If you can work on your stopping distance you will have a very solid vehicle.

Also did the person that submitted the rule clarification on the track bonus ever get a reply. I'm Still waiting on mine that has sent over 3weeks ago and have yet to hear a response. Is there a limit to one question per year or something with the national clarifications I have sent 2 this year and have only got one response? I have sent more than one the last few years and have gotten a response quickly, I was just curious if they had set a limit on the clarifications one person could ask for?
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby bwy » April 3rd, 2010, 3:40 pm

Does anyone know if swiss-cheesing (drilling holes in the wooden base to make it lighter) the mousetraps is allowed? According to my interpretation, it is, but does anyone know for sure how the judges interpret it?

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » April 3rd, 2010, 3:44 pm

Does anyone know if swiss-cheesing (drilling holes in the wooden base to make it lighter) the mousetraps is allowed? According to my interpretation, it is, but does anyone know for sure how the judges interpret it?
Nope, we just discussed this on the last page. You need to read before asking.

And no, that is modifying the traps.

Although, if you swiss cheesed the bottom, and not all the way through, I doubt the judges could tell...

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby fleet130 » April 3rd, 2010, 6:30 pm

if you swiss cheesed the bottom, and not all the way through, I doubt the judges could tell.
But that is definitely an intentional attempt to gain an unfair advantage (Some people call it CHEATING!) which, if discovered, would be cause for disqualification from the event. It's almost impossible to win an appeal for cheating. I observed an instance where a whole team was disqualified from an entire tournament because they were caught cheating in two events.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

crazyredhead42
State: GA

Postby crazyredhead42 » April 3rd, 2010, 8:14 pm

How are you guys holding your long arm onto your mousetraps?

I currently have mine held on with a "T" shaped piece of metal, but it's hugely heavy and it's slowing the car down a lot.

beaverkid

Postby beaverkid » April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm

that is a very good time! If you can work on your stopping distance you will have a very solid vehicle.

Also did the person that submitted the rule clarification on the track bonus ever get a reply. I'm Still waiting on mine that has sent over 3weeks ago and have yet to hear a response. Is there a limit to one question per year or something with the national clarifications I have sent 2 this year and have only got one response? I have sent more than one the last few years and have gotten a response quickly, I was just curious if they had set a limit on the clarifications one person could ask for?
I think you should get the lane bonus as long as your vehicle stays between the left and right side of the lane. In the scoring example, the vehicle crossed the 8.5 m line but still received the lane bonus. But ultimately, if this is regarding your State program, you should contact your State Director regrading that.

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » April 4th, 2010, 7:40 am

How are you guys holding your long arm onto your mousetraps?

I currently have mine held on with a "T" shaped piece of metal, but it's hugely heavy and it's slowing the car down a lot.
I soldered the bar to the mousetraps. Melt a paperclip.

Return to “2010 Build Events”