Mousetrap Vehicle C

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby winneratlife » April 3rd, 2010, 3:44 pm

Does anyone know if swiss-cheesing (drilling holes in the wooden base to make it lighter) the mousetraps is allowed? According to my interpretation, it is, but does anyone know for sure how the judges interpret it?
Nope, we just discussed this on the last page. You need to read before asking.

And no, that is modifying the traps.

Although, if you swiss cheesed the bottom, and not all the way through, I doubt the judges could tell...

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby fleet130 » April 3rd, 2010, 6:30 pm

if you swiss cheesed the bottom, and not all the way through, I doubt the judges could tell.
But that is definitely an intentional attempt to gain an unfair advantage (Some people call it CHEATING!) which, if discovered, would be cause for disqualification from the event. It's almost impossible to win an appeal for cheating. I observed an instance where a whole team was disqualified from an entire tournament because they were caught cheating in two events.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

crazyredhead42
Division: C
State: GA

Postby crazyredhead42 » April 3rd, 2010, 8:14 pm

How are you guys holding your long arm onto your mousetraps?

I currently have mine held on with a "T" shaped piece of metal, but it's hugely heavy and it's slowing the car down a lot.

beaverkid

Postby beaverkid » April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm

hmm, mine was done in 15 seconds

and i missed the center of start line by 63 inches
still got first cuz guy who was 2nd had his returned @ 3.5 line

those skools from chicago, U R GONNA GET WHOOPED!
that is a very good time! If you can work on your stopping distance you will have a very solid vehicle.

Also did the person that submitted the rule clarification on the track bonus ever get a reply. I'm Still waiting on mine that has sent over 3weeks ago and have yet to hear a response. Is there a limit to one question per year or something with the national clarifications I have sent 2 this year and have only got one response? I have sent more than one the last few years and have gotten a response quickly, I was just curious if they had set a limit on the clarifications one person could ask for?
I think you should get the lane bonus as long as your vehicle stays between the left and right side of the lane. In the scoring example, the vehicle crossed the 8.5 m line but still received the lane bonus. But ultimately, if this is regarding your State program, you should contact your State Director regrading that.

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » April 4th, 2010, 7:40 am

I currently have mine held on with a "T" shaped piece of metal, but it's hugely heavy and it's slowing the car down a lot.
I soldered the bar to the mousetraps. Melt a paperclip.

cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby cypressfalls Robert » April 4th, 2010, 10:18 am

wow can you actually melt a paperclip, I mean how long would that take?

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby fleet130 » April 4th, 2010, 10:43 am

In the old Mousetrap Vehicle Days, This seemed to be an almost universal method: Use a piece of sufficiently stiff piano wire as an extension arm for the mousetrap bail. Lay it alongside of one side of the bail and wrap thread tightly around the two pieces to hold them together. The wraps can be spaced apart a little so you don't need so many. Coat the thread and wires with superglue (CA/cyanoacrylate) to hold everything securely in position.

Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby cypressfalls Robert » April 4th, 2010, 10:59 am

In the old Mousetrap Vehicle Days, This seemed to be an almost universal method: Use a piece of sufficiently stiff piano wire as an extension arm for the mousetrap bail. Lay it alongside of one side of the bail and wrap thread tightly around the two pieces to hold them together. The wraps can be spaced apart a little so you don't need so many. Coat the thread and wires with superglue (CA/cyanoacrylate) to hold everything securely in position.

this sounds better than melting a paper clip on the two traps, and less work

masterhat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby masterhat » April 4th, 2010, 1:27 pm

You have to be very careful if you use this design. I would think that the piano wire would bend (so not all of the energy would be coming from the mousetraps).

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » April 4th, 2010, 1:29 pm

wow can you actually melt a paperclip, I mean how long would that take?
:lol:

You don't melt the entire clip! Just melt the tip, and let the liquid metal solidify on the spot where the kill bar touches the extension.
You have to be very careful if you use this design. I would think that the piano wire would bend (so not all of the energy would be coming from the mousetraps).
True. I almost got busted for that at an invitational.

Return to “2010 Build Events”