Postby ktrujillo52 » January 3rd, 2010, 4:10 pm

So you get penalized if it doesn't go all the way back

rockhound
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby rockhound » January 3rd, 2010, 4:15 pm

rockhound wrote:
ktrujillo52 wrote:Yeah isn't that automatic tier 4? But what if it only goes back a few meters?

Tier 2, but that is still not good.

In response to your first question:
I meant it is Tier 2 not Tier 4, which still hurts your chances.

In response to your second question:
It just has to back up a noticable amount to be Tier 1.

ktrujillo52
State: IN

Postby ktrujillo52 » January 3rd, 2010, 4:19 pm

rockhound wrote:It just has to back up a noticable amount to be Tier 1.

That was what I was wondering, thank you.

As for the tier thing, I got confused because the last people who built our mousetrap were tier 4, but I guess they had a building violation in there.

Man, I sure wish I had a copy of the rules. Well that's probably the only good thing about school starting tomorrow, that I will be able to get one...

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » January 3rd, 2010, 6:19 pm

3.f means that the distance between the two axles has to be between 30.0cm and 34.0cm, correct? It seems to be outlined clearly, yet I keep questioning it.

penclspinner

Postby penclspinner » January 3rd, 2010, 9:51 pm

Pleiades wrote:3.f means that the distance between the two axles has to be between 30.0cm and 34.0cm, correct? It seems to be outlined clearly, yet I keep questioning it.

Yes, you are correct

winneratlife
State: MI

Postby winneratlife » January 4th, 2010, 3:31 pm

I'm using CD's as wheels, but when I did my calculations, I got the result that my bar would need to be around 60 cm long to travel all 14ish meters. Am I doing something wrong, or do I actually need that long of a bar?

ktrujillo52
State: IN

Postby ktrujillo52 » January 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm

What kind of design are you using?

If you have 2 mousetraps in opposing directions, then the bar only has to be 30cm to travel 7m in each direction.

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » January 4th, 2010, 4:47 pm

ktrujillo52 wrote:What kind of design are you using?

If you have 2 mousetraps in opposing directions, then the bar only has to be 30cm to travel 7m in each direction.

Oh, I'm using the 2-mousetrap powering with fancy winding, so you have two bars each 30 cm, so I guess it makes sense if I have one that's 60.

fgdownsups
Division: C
State: OH

Postby fgdownsups » January 6th, 2010, 5:11 pm

ktrujillo52 wrote:I put this little circular thing in on the base in front of the axle so that it would wind straight. You could use a piece of a straw but the string would probably cut through it.

wouldn't that still be loose even with a straw? how does that get me a consistent wind every time?

fgdownsups

Postby fgdownsups » January 6th, 2010, 5:13 pm

winneratlife wrote:I'm using CD's as wheels, but when I did my calculations, I got the result that my bar would need to be around 60 cm long to travel all 14ish meters. Am I doing something wrong, or do I actually need that long of a bar?

use thinner axles
and that is split with 2 mousetraps

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » January 6th, 2010, 5:38 pm

fgdownsups wrote:
winneratlife wrote:I'm using CD's as wheels, but when I did my calculations, I got the result that my bar would need to be around 60 cm long to travel all 14ish meters. Am I doing something wrong, or do I actually need that long of a bar?

use thinner axles
and that is split with 2 mousetraps

Any thinner and I'd have to worry about the CD's staying locked. I'm using the dual mousetrap powering, so I only get 1 bar. Actually, I realized that 60 cm was the length of the string, so I just moved my mousetraps to the end far from the driving wheels and made the bar around 40 cm. Should work fine ;)

fgdownsups

Postby fgdownsups » January 7th, 2010, 3:45 pm

fgdownsups wrote:
ktrujillo52 wrote:I put this little circular thing in on the base in front of the axle so that it would wind straight. You could use a piece of a straw but the string would probably cut through it.

wouldn't that still be loose even with a straw? how does that get me a consistent wind every time?

bump
also, has anyone tried to take out a mousetrap spring and wind it a couple of times to get more power?

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Postby fleet130 » January 7th, 2010, 3:54 pm

has anyone tried to take out a mousetrap spring and wind it a couple of times to get more power?
Even one turn is really hard, although it increases the power significantly. I doubt you can get more! I also suspect that today's mousetraps would have problems with self-destruction. At one time they were commonly used in Mission Possible. As time passed their use dwindled as they could no longer be depended on to stay together.

If the rules have any hint that the mousetrap should be "unmodified" it would also be a rule violation.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

binary010101
State: PA

Postby binary010101 » January 8th, 2010, 12:17 pm

fleet130 wrote:
has anyone tried to take out a mousetrap spring and wind it a couple of times to get more power?
Even one turn is really hard, although it increases the power significantly. I doubt you can get more! I also suspect that today's mousetraps would have problems with self-destruction. At one time they were commonly used in Mission Possible. As time passed their use dwindled as they could no longer be depended on to stay together.

If the rules have any hint that the mousetrap should be "unmodified" it would also be a rule violation.

Which it indeed says.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » January 13th, 2010, 1:48 pm

...So...
A couple nights ago I took my vehicle over to my school to test it (I don't have seven meters in my house). I reversed fine, but it refused to go straight! Does anyone have an easy way to make sure your axles are lined up so that the car goes straight?

P.S. I ended up scoring around 70 in the test according to the rules. Is that good?

Return to “2010 Build Events”