Egg-O-Naut C

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Egg-O-Naut C

Post by fleet130 »

Check out Robert Youens' Water Rocket Page. Its an old backslider website by a previous national event supervisor for Bottle Rockets. It was lost for a while when AOL Hometown folded, but was rescued off their server a few months later just before they shut it down. It's not being updated, but it still has some good information..
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

fleet130 wrote:Check out Robert Youens' Water Rocket Page. Its an old backslider website by a previous national event supervisor for Bottle Rockets. It was lost for a while when AOL Hometown folded, but was rescued off their server a few months later just before they shut it down. It's not being updated, but it still has some good information..
Thanks for that, looks really interesting :)
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

I can recall the Bottle Rocket event allowing parachutes, e.g. in 2006, but no egg was carried aloft. The parachute and nose cone were not allowed to separate from the rocket.

In other years, the Bottle Rocket event did not allow parachutes but there was no requirement to carry an egg.

More recently, in the two years of the Egg - O - Naut event, parachutes were allowed and there was a bonus for separating the egg capsule from the rocket body, and another bonus for recovering the egg unbroken.

I am thinking that for the 2011 Bottle Rocket event you might have to carry an egg aloft, along with a mouse trap, and the mouse trap will have to be used to deploy the parachute, but the egg cannot be broken in the process or else you will lose the bonus. Also, you may have to keep the egg aloft for a specific time which will be announced after impound. The 2011 rules might limit to pressure vessel to a 550 ml soda bottle to keep the altitude low.
baker
State: NY

Post by baker »

Let's shoot down range at a target (bullseye).
bridgebuilder25
State: PA

Post by bridgebuilder25 »

Anyone know the times of the rockets that medaled at nats?
Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who actually do.
Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one of us.
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by rocketman1555 »

bridgebuilder25 wrote:Anyone know the times of the rockets that medaled at nats?
1 - Solon , 7+ minutes (i don't know when they stop timing, but it could be seen from the launch site for 7-10 minutes, and was in the air even longer)

2 - Centreville, 4 min 35 sec (not sure if this is with or without bonuses)

3 - New Trier, a little over a minute, I would guess about 1 min 20 sec without bonuses

I don't definitely know any of the other scores, but the rest of the rockets in the top ten would have been between 40 seconds to a minute without bonuses.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
bridgebuilder25
State: PA

Post by bridgebuilder25 »

rocketman1555 wrote:
bridgebuilder25 wrote:Anyone know the times of the rockets that medaled at nats?
1 - Solon , 7+ minutes (i don't know when they stop timing, but it could be seen from the launch site for 7-10 minutes, and was in the air even longer)

3 - New Trier, a little over a minute, I would guess about 1 min 20 sec without bonuses

I don't definitely know any of the other scores, but the rest of the rockets in the top ten would have been between 40 seconds to a minute without bonuses.
Thanks for the info. I heard how incredible Solon's was! Props to them, but as always with egg-o-naut, there was probably a little luck involved. It's just a little frustrating knowing that our rocket was aloft for 2 minutes without bonuses... at states. Too bad we didn't make nationals!!!
Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who actually do.
Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one of us.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME

Post by starpug »

rocketman1555 wrote:

I definitely heard 10 minutes from the timers and supervisors when I was launching at the end of the day. They had people following the rockets when they drifted away since their were rather tall building near by.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

rocketman1555 wrote:

7 Minutes? I think i know the guy who did Eggo-naut...Stan Chan? He medaled first in Mousetrap at nats as well....

But wow, the difference between 1st and 2nd and then2nd and 3rd...insane o.0
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

What would happen if it goes out of site and then comes back in a few minutes latter and lands nearby? Would it be when it lands or first goes out of site?

Return to “2010 Build Events”