AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Egg-O-Naut C

Post by AlphaTauri »

So Bottle Rocket is basically Egg-o-naut without the egg? I'm going to try this over the summer...should be fun.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME
Been thanked: 0

Post by starpug »

AlphaTauri wrote:So Bottle Rocket is basically Egg-o-naut without the egg? I'm going to try this over the summer...should be fun.
Should be, unless they're gonna be misleading with the names. Should be egg o naut except the focus is to keep everything together and there is no egg. I would also like to point out in past years they have prohibited parachutes, so you may find it gratifying to attempt a backslider (look it up)
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

starpug wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:So Bottle Rocket is basically Egg-o-naut without the egg? I'm going to try this over the summer...should be fun.
Should be, unless they're gonna be misleading with the names. Should be egg o naut except the focus is to keep everything together and there is no egg. I would also like to point out in past years they have prohibited parachutes, so you may find it gratifying to attempt a backslider (look it up)
Ahh baksliders...if by some miraculous chance bottle rockets is a c event next year, id be ecstatic...the egg-o-naut crew this year for our team was extremely lazy and i pretty much got involved in order to keep them busy...i really like the event and after seeing the team have trouble with parachutes (the highest time they got was 12 seconds, without bonuses, though they did get all the bonuses, i just dont remember how much it added up to) i started making backsliders after state...i wish i had done egg-o-naut, i actually clocked one of my flights at 17.6 seconds! Ya, its not exceptional, but backsliders are just a lot more consistent to me, and pretty low maintenance...however, in about 30 launches, the egg broke once. My lowest time was 10.1 seconds (it was really windy, the moment it launched, it just got blown to the side and it basically did a nose-dive, and the average was 16.25, launching mostly on good launch days
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Check out Robert Youens' Water Rocket Page. Its an old backslider website by a previous national event supervisor for Bottle Rockets. It was lost for a while when AOL Hometown folded, but was rescued off their server a few months later just before they shut it down. It's not being updated, but it still has some good information..
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

fleet130 wrote:Check out Robert Youens' Water Rocket Page. Its an old backslider website by a previous national event supervisor for Bottle Rockets. It was lost for a while when AOL Hometown folded, but was rescued off their server a few months later just before they shut it down. It's not being updated, but it still has some good information..
Thanks for that, looks really interesting :)
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

I can recall the Bottle Rocket event allowing parachutes, e.g. in 2006, but no egg was carried aloft. The parachute and nose cone were not allowed to separate from the rocket.

In other years, the Bottle Rocket event did not allow parachutes but there was no requirement to carry an egg.

More recently, in the two years of the Egg - O - Naut event, parachutes were allowed and there was a bonus for separating the egg capsule from the rocket body, and another bonus for recovering the egg unbroken.

I am thinking that for the 2011 Bottle Rocket event you might have to carry an egg aloft, along with a mouse trap, and the mouse trap will have to be used to deploy the parachute, but the egg cannot be broken in the process or else you will lose the bonus. Also, you may have to keep the egg aloft for a specific time which will be announced after impound. The 2011 rules might limit to pressure vessel to a 550 ml soda bottle to keep the altitude low.
baker
State: NY

Post by baker »

Let's shoot down range at a target (bullseye).
bridgebuilder25
State: PA

Post by bridgebuilder25 »

Anyone know the times of the rockets that medaled at nats?
Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who actually do.
Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one of us.

Return to “2010 Build Events”