Egg-O-Naut C

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME

Re: Egg-O-Naut C

Postby starpug » April 19th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Now if you look several posts up, you will see my first account of losing a parachute with a time of ~4min
Well.. ;)
I've just bested that, my new record which I think may actually be a world record for Egg-o-Naut :P

15 minutes and counting :shock:
Last time I saw that parachute was when it was about 5000ft up and climbing and the clock said fifteen minutes :shock:
I lost sight of it purely because it got so far up, and too far away and thus to small to see :D
and for anyone who lives in the northwest houston area, it was traveling south past Hot Wells Shooting Range at approximately 8-10mph

Pics coming soon... :P
Lool yeah, I'm starting to wonder how they're going to judge this because I launched a rocket the just yesterday and it was around the 3 min mark before i lost it in the horizon (it was hovering atleast 200 feet in the air past some trees in about 15 mph winds). And just the day before I was getting maybe 30 seconds max? How will they judge it, when it's out of sight (according to the timers)? Highly variable to say the least.
Let me quote the rules for a second
Section 4.c
Timing begins when the rocket seperates from the launcher and ends when the Egg o naut or portion of the rocket containing the egg touches the ground or comes to rest in a tree, building, or other obstruction or goes out of sight
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Jest
Division: C
State: MI

Postby Jest » April 19th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Now if you look several posts up, you will see my first account of losing a parachute with a time of ~4min
Well.. ;)
I've just bested that, my new record which I think may actually be a world record for Egg-o-Naut :P

Last time I saw that parachute was when it was about 5000ft up and climbing and the clock said fifteen minutes :shock:
I lost sight of it purely because it got so far up, and too far away and thus to small to see :D
and for anyone who lives in the northwest houston area, it was traveling south past Hot Wells Shooting Range at approximately 8-10mph

Lool yeah, I'm starting to wonder how they're going to judge this because I launched a rocket the just yesterday and it was around the 3 min mark before i lost it in the horizon (it was hovering atleast 200 feet in the air past some trees in about 15 mph winds). And just the day before I was getting maybe 30 seconds max? How will they judge it, when it's out of sight (according to the timers)? Highly variable to say the least.
Let me quote the rules for a second
Section 4.c
Timing begins when the rocket seperates from the launcher and ends when the Egg o naut or portion of the rocket containing the egg touches the ground or comes to rest in a tree, building, or other obstruction or goes out of sight
ahh, that was a bit obvious :oops:

cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby cypressfalls Robert » April 19th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Well.. ;)

yea It was too windy today, we almost lost ours too

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby harryk » April 19th, 2010, 7:45 pm

yea It was too windy today, we almost lost ours too
when were you launching, you might have been able to see it
we launched that one at approx 3:00

and I wonder if we provide binoculars if that will count
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

maggymay

Postby maggymay » April 19th, 2010, 7:48 pm

starpug -

Thanks for quoting the rules. I don't think our team will have a Neverending rocket trip, but ya never know... Maybe some of y'all need to put "If this is found, please call ......" types of messages on your EggONauts. That way, if some kind person finds it, at least you could get a notice.

(And this thread is useless without pics lol.)

Hmmmm...binoculars aren't prohibited. You might want to ask for a clarification from your State Director or send one in to Nats. If the judge/judges use binoculars for *one* competitor starting to go out of sight, they'll have to use them for all EggONauts starting to go out of sight.

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby harryk » April 19th, 2010, 7:50 pm

yeah I put one on this never ending one, maybe I'll see that parachute again
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby robotman » April 19th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Dude unless you launched into a tornado there is essentially 0 chance of an updraft that would take it anywhere near 5000ft due to weather conditions today
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby harryk » April 20th, 2010, 4:30 am

Dude unless you launched into a tornado there is essentially 0 chance of an updraft that would take it anywhere near 5000ft due to weather conditions today
you can doubt me if you want but to me it certainly looked like at least a few thousand feet, and it was still climbing
still waiting on the pictures to be approved in the gallery
Colorado School of Mines

baker
State: NY

Postby baker » April 20th, 2010, 6:31 pm

5000 Feet? Negative!

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby harryk » April 20th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Here is the parachute way up there, its hard to tell but there is a row of pixels which is the base of the parachute

This is the image I extracted the above from, now you might be able to tell how high it was
Colorado School of Mines

Return to “2010 Build Events”