Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Best of 2009

Post by Dark Sabre »

Though it doesn't fall into the 2009 category, figured I'd mention it here since it placed well...

Aia was kind enough to upload her Wheeled Vehicle from 2007, which placed 7th: Image Gallery
Most of the images also have descriptions and other info, so check those out too.
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

do you want the names of the teams that built the devices?--I dont have any to uplaod but i recognize a few devices in the gallery for what team they are
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by Dark Sabre »

Doesn't really seem important...more about the designs than recognition :shrug:
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

ok figured i'd ask just in case
binary010101
State: PA

Post by binary010101 »

Aia wrote:Especially with the balsa events, one photo can give away a fair amount of information... I do hope we see a few though.
The designs are constantly improving, though, anyway, so I don't think it'll matter that much.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

fmtiger124 wrote:do you want the names of the teams that built the devices?--I dont have any to uplaod but i recognize a few devices in the gallery for what team they are
but wont that match the device to the placing it got?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by Dark Sabre »

Oh...yay for me misreading...I thought he wanted to tag the stuff on the wiki with team names.

lol

Yeah, definitely...if you feel like adding comments to any of the gallery images that say what team they are from, go for it.

:oops:
scifipi
Division: B
State: IL

Post by scifipi »

Wow, this seems like a great idea!!! :o :lol: :twisted:
----------
~Amanda~
Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Mission Possible

Daniel Wright JHS in Illinois
(Division B)
old
State: CA

Post by old »

I do think that it would be appropriate to ask the person who's device is in the picture if they are ok with having their design posted for everyone to see. I have seen people go to great lengths to get pictures of other teams devices so that they can copy them, and I am quite sure that the team who's device gets copied is not happy about it. Some competitions actually specifically prohibit picture taking for this reason. So I would say that the pictures are great as long as the designer posts them, but not if they are posted by someone who happened to be at the competition and has no claim to the design. We don't want to get to the point where people feel they have to cover all the inner workings of their devices so that they won't get copied at Nationals, that just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the competition.
Last edited by old on May 30th, 2010, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Oh, two very different schools of thought on this one. I am ....of the other one. Discussed in a number of posts last year...

Science-O a) deals with/teaches both the content and process of science - and in the building events, engineering, and b) is a competition - with the building events open to the public and other competors.

A key aspect of science and engineering - as it is in the real world- as it works -is that one person's work is built on by others; sometimes by breakhroughs- big jumps- whole new concepts to a problem; sometimes by detailed improvement. In the realm of "things" - as in things built for the building events - there is always room for improvement. To not start from a good idea, and figure out how to improve on it - and to do the best research you can on what's the best current idea out there - would be....., well, stupid.

Except for national security stuff, and corporate trade secret stuff, the world of science and engineering is an open, collaborative, interactive one- people building on other's knowledge and progress. S-O is neither a matter of national security, nor of trade secrets.

The building events are public. If the organizers had intended the protection of designs and techniques, teams would test their devices one at a time, for the judge's eyes only. In that that's not how its done speaks to the intent of the organizers, doesn't it?

There is a good analogy in racing- highly competitive, success through developing neat, new trick parts, new approaches, refinement of old, good ideas. But when you come to the track, everybody gets to look and see. Not take apart and measure, but look at, take notes, take photos. If a competitor or coach see's something.....noteworthy, they are going to take notes- words, sketches. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Photos, short of getting down 6inches away on key detail, are no different. Secrets are for before the competition - the cat is out of the bag, though, when its competition time. How, IMHO, it works, and should work. For someone to come up with a cool, significantly better idea on how to do something, and expect that no one else should recognize that advance as the new state-of-the art- and adopt and improve from there is.....contrary to what the scientific process is, and, I would argue, what Science-O is all aboul.

Just my personal opinion. I respect contrary views, but do not agree with them.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “2010 Build Events”