Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots B/C [Trial]

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I would think they would take crowd control measures. It seems to be a popular event to watch, and it would be a shame if the spectators inadvertently caused a team to lose.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Not to sound whiny, but I have to say that the crowd shouting is majorly nerve-racking and can effect performance. If they don't take extensive measures to keep interference from the audience down, I'll be very mad. I mean, at golf tournaments, if you cough you get thrown out- can we have some of that here?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

Hmm, maybe earplugs would be allowed? :? If that would help, I don't know.

Also just wanted to point out that I posted this a while ago but nobody answered because of my spelling :lol: , so I fixed it, so does anyone have any insight?
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Paleonaps - to answer your question.

I was a junior proctor at Sumo bots at nats. There were lots of people watching but they were courteous, there was very little interference from the crowd.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

PRAISE THE LORD
Really, that's better than you know.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

paleonaps95 wrote:Not to sound whiny, but I have to say that the crowd shouting is majorly nerve-racking and can effect performance. If they don't take extensive measures to keep interference from the audience down, I'll be very mad. I mean, at golf tournaments, if you cough you get thrown out- can we have some of that here?
At many sporting events, yelling and screaming is encouraged :|
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
3slh9
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: KS

Post by 3slh9 »

At both of our regional and state competitions, any spectator sport area is surrounded by yellow caution tape with a small opening for competitors. There is then an area around that for the spectators to stand and watch but they are far enough back not to interfere in the actual competition. Where I can see problems is with people wanting to record the competition and it interfering with the robots.
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

starpug wrote:
paleonaps95 wrote:Not to sound whiny, but I have to say that the crowd shouting is majorly nerve-racking and can effect performance. If they don't take extensive measures to keep interference from the audience down, I'll be very mad. I mean, at golf tournaments, if you cough you get thrown out- can we have some of that here?
At many sporting events, yelling and screaming is encouraged :|
Not to mention not every golf tournament is like the Masters....I've watched some where they're so relaxed they let people do the wave in the stands. (coughing? :? :| )
Also, I think the cheering is cool....personally it would make me want to do better and I think it would help me. It also makes it feel less competition like I think. Silence is much more nerve wrecking for me.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

That can be true- but the cheering is very annoying. Before the bout, fine. But during it... that's a different story. I mean, at 09 states, I was very, very nervous to go up against Eagle Hill (I know you probably went there, so no offense) and I think I may have won if I hadn't been so nervous. But I was, my fingers were shaking, and I lost. I'm not bitter, but I think that quiet and keeping the crowd away from the ring (again, at 09 states they got right up against us) are good improvements.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

paleonaps95 wrote:That can be true- but the cheering is very annoying. Before the bout, fine. But during it... that's a different story. I mean, at 09 states, I was very, very nervous to go up against Eagle Hill (I know you probably went there, so no offense) and I think I may have won if I hadn't been so nervous. But I was, my fingers were shaking, and I lost. I'm not bitter, but I think that quiet and keeping the crowd away from the ring (again, at 09 states they got right up against us) are good improvements.
The crowd is part of Science Olympiad building events. No matter what building event you do, the crowd will be there when you're setting up and when you're running. The crowd is there to see some science (and some robots trying to push each other out of the ring), not to intentionally make you have a panic attack. The crowd is the same for your opponent as it is for you, so there is nothing unfair about it. Frankly, if you don't have nerves, you're not doing Science Olympiad, part of doing well is to stop complaining and deal with it (I know you have a Nationals Medal, good for you, doesn't mean you get to force the crowd to shut up because it makes you a little nervous)
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2010 Build Events”