Sumo Bots B/C [Trial]

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Sumo Bots B/C [Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Sumo Bots B/C, a trial event in New York and Nationals.

Rules:
2010 Rules

Links:
2009 Discussion
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
fmtiger124
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots B/C [NY Trial]

Post by fmtiger124 »

Well, I didn't do this event last year, but some sort of wedge works best--along with a car that doesn't move to fast so you don't accidentally drive outside the ring
inycepoo
Division: C

Post by inycepoo »

hey guys. i'm new to all of this robot stuff...so.
the old one from last year runs on vex...which is decent yes, but i dont think i can deal with such weak but okayish light motors for this year.
any suggestions what motors or other stuff from what brand to get?

thanks
Benjamin N. Cardozo represent

2010 New York City Metro Regionals:
Ecology
Mousetrap Vehicle
Sumobots
Trajectory
jadeboy
Division: B

Post by jadeboy »

Wait a sec ... my school isn't offering sumobots this year :!: What's up :?: :?: :?:
Skyline1010

Post by Skyline1010 »

The increase in size combined with a decrease in max weight is making it pretty tricky this year...that and the 14.4v battery limit. I've got a good bot going though...we'll see what happens
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gh »

I thought it would make things easier. Last year, I found the design pressure to pack as much stuff into as little area as possible a real challenge. I figured, if everyone else is also allowed to have 2.5kg within 300mm×300mm, then somewhere out there somebody has packed that much motor, battery, and wheel into their design. So to be competitive, I reasoned, I had to have that much in my design.

That more or less explained why I had to have 550-sized motors, special compact wheels, and a battery with the output equivalent of something like a motorcycle battery.

Since my site hasn't been linked to yet in this topic, I'll do it now: http://www.geekshavefeelings.com/projec ... -2009.html

In there, I explain design decisions (wheel placement, height, number of wheels, etc.), list history, and illustrate with videos of matches pictures of the bot.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
Skyline1010

Post by Skyline1010 »

Oh, I remember that bot from NY States last year. I beat it a couple times and eliminated it, but the design is pretty sweet nonetheless.
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gh »

Oh hah, the thing was just about unusable by the time I was using it for competition. The transmitter was physically broken—one stick was loose and didn't return to center, and I swapped out a better motor controller after it shorted (heatsink touched a FET's leads, I think) and parts of the bot actually caught fire. Plus, I kind of stopped caring about SO by the time states was around. :\
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
LukeThomas

Post by LukeThomas »

I just hope some jerk event supervisor confiscates batteries because they charge above their label, It happened in the Midwestern NY regional, their battery pack said 18 volts but read 19, the battery pack were not allowed in competition
Webster Thomas
Regionals:
6th...E.V. & Sumo-Bot
1st Elevated Bridge
States:
3rd Elevated Bridge
5th...E.V. & Sumo-Bot
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

I wouldn't have disqualified that. While it's true that you can overcharge a battery somewhat beyond the manufacturer's specifications, I don't think any team would benefit from doing so. It would be potentially dangerous while charging and would decrease the battery's life.

If the battery was labeled 18 volts and read 24 that'd be different, as there obviously would be something fishy going on, probably a swapped label or something.

But batteries are often labeled with a large tolerance, especially when fully charged. If you measure a new AA battery, it's going to read more than 1.5 volts.

The competitors should have shorted the battery until it was under 18 volts and then it would have been legal to use.

Return to “2010 Build Events”