Helicopter B/C [Trial]

bchero
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter B/C [Trial]

Post by bchero »

I was wondering how I could make the rotors. Does anyone know how to make them from scratch?
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by blue cobra »

This site will probably be helpful. I don't think you can use his dimensions, but it will give you an idea of how to build.

Would the mold shown on that site produce a helical blade? And does anyone have experience microwaving balsa before I try it? And do you need dihedral on your rotor?
In full color since 2006
bchero

Post by bchero »

This is a very interesting site, because I can't access it on the school's firewall. Anyway, I'll check it out when I get home and give you a reply soon. I really appreciate the help here. Good luck with your events!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

bchero wrote:Hey guys. I looked up the Penni Helicopter Kit and found out that there were prebuilt pulleys included in the kit. This poses a problem because the Helicopter Duration rule states that pulleys cannot be used in transmission. What could I do to solve this problem?
What set of trial rules are you using? The limitation on transmission was removed from the National SO trial rules, and I thought NY State updated their trial rules to match, after starting with last years national rules which did limit transmission components.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

Since this event is a trial, has anyone been taking it seriously?
What are "good" flight times?
Do people try to get their helicopter to go as high as they can to increase flight time or are they trying to limit height so the helicopters don't hit the ceiling/ get caught in rafters?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I hope so, as it will be a national trial this year, and likely come into div C next year as Wright Stuff rotates out for a couple of years.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

Ok. I was just asking because according to the NY thread only 0-3 teams at each NY regionals actually entered it (and NY has large regionals).

To reword my other question:
smartkid222 wrote: Do people try to get their helicopter to go as high as they can to increase flight time or are they trying to limit height so the helicopters don't hit the ceiling/ get caught in rafters?
Do people limit the amount of winds they put on the rubber so that the helicopter doesn't reach the ceiling or do people put in as many winds as they can? (which i realize is optimum but idk if it's feasable if in small gym with cluttered ceiling)
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Probably depends on the ceiling. If fairly smooth, have a post (extension of the rotor axle) on the top to keep the rotor down from scraping the ceiling and wind away. If messy with rafters, fly one flight below the rafters, and push the second.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
baker

Post by baker »

So what would be a good time? 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute and a half? Not much info out there...if anybody is even flying.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

considering how few people in NY are doing it, getting a helicopter flying would be "good". I would imagine in a decent size gym 30 seconds would be at the high end at a regional competition.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Return to “2010 Build Events”