Helicopter B/C [Trial]

jander14indoor
State: -

Re: Helicopter B/C [Trial]

Postby jander14indoor » February 14th, 2010, 5:18 pm

I hope so, as it will be a national trial this year, and likely come into div C next year as Wright Stuff rotates out for a couple of years.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Postby smartkid222 » February 14th, 2010, 5:26 pm

Ok. I was just asking because according to the NY thread only 0-3 teams at each NY regionals actually entered it (and NY has large regionals).

To reword my other question:
smartkid222 wrote:Do people try to get their helicopter to go as high as they can to increase flight time or are they trying to limit height so the helicopters don't hit the ceiling/ get caught in rafters?

Do people limit the amount of winds they put on the rubber so that the helicopter doesn't reach the ceiling or do people put in as many winds as they can? (which i realize is optimum but idk if it's feasable if in small gym with cluttered ceiling)
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor » February 15th, 2010, 6:13 am

Probably depends on the ceiling. If fairly smooth, have a post (extension of the rotor axle) on the top to keep the rotor down from scraping the ceiling and wind away. If messy with rafters, fly one flight below the rafters, and push the second.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

baker

Postby baker » February 15th, 2010, 12:21 pm

So what would be a good time? 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute and a half? Not much info out there...if anybody is even flying.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby smartkid222 » February 15th, 2010, 2:29 pm

considering how few people in NY are doing it, getting a helicopter flying would be "good". I would imagine in a decent size gym 30 seconds would be at the high end at a regional competition.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

packer-backer91
Division: Grad
State: MI

Postby packer-backer91 » February 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

baker wrote:So what would be a good time? 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute and a half? Not much info out there ...if anybody is even flying.

I did this event last year at my and from what I can remember over a minute was really good. I never came close to that but I know there were some really good ones that had times at or above the minute mark I don't remember the exact winning time
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor » February 16th, 2010, 3:51 am

The best times I heard of last year were in the minute to minute and a quarter range. But the rules required a heavier minimum weight and smaller rotors. This year the weights are lower and rotors larger so I suspect minute and a half to two is doable. Possibly higher as folks get this event figured out, and as more take up the event.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Aznrunner124

Postby Aznrunner124 » February 22nd, 2010, 5:42 pm

Hey guys, I kinda just got put on this event for States. And after looking around, I found this http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffrey.hood/USIC2009Day4#5341965517835332994 and at my regionals I noticed that a helicopter looking like that did pretty well. So, I was wondering, where I could get a kit like that or plans for that?

Thanks.

blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Postby blue cobra » February 24th, 2010, 6:43 am

Well, I would recommend building it yourself, but I guess that's just how I am.

If you want a kit, the link below looks similar to that helicopter, but there's no guarantee it will be to your state's specs, so some modifications may be required.

(It's in the second row)
https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.asp?Cguid={0F4BE76E-7D2E-48B8-9E7D-3A2FA51F4ECD}&Category=ModelSupplies%3AScience+Olympiad
In full color since 2006

get wrecked
State: TX

Postby get wrecked » February 27th, 2010, 7:30 pm

jander14indoor wrote:baker, 10 grams is way too heavy, you need to cut that in half at least to get it to fly. Did you have one or two 12 inch diameter props? If one, how did you control the torque? What pitch(s)?

cypressfalls_Robert, a prop is the propellor or rotor which spins to create the lift in a helicopter (thrust for a plane). In a full size copter its the blades on the top of the copter which spin around, disk parallel to the ground. The motor stick is just the main structural element, usually a simple stick for these competitions, which holds the rubber motor. There's a hook on one end, and a bearing on the other to hold one of the rotors. The wound motor goes between the hook and the shaft of the rotor.

Hope that helps, if I can find more time, I'll try a drawing, but that's definitely NOT my strength.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

10 grams isn't that heavy.
My helicopter did pretty well and it weighed 9.5 grams and had a 6in diameter prop.
Last edited by get wrecked on February 27th, 2010, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

get wrecked

Postby get wrecked » February 27th, 2010, 7:31 pm

get wrecked wrote:
jander14indoor wrote:baker, 10 grams is way too heavy, you need to cut that in half at least to get it to fly. Did you have one or two 12 inch diameter props? If one, how did you control the torque? What pitch(s)?

cypressfalls_Robert, a prop is the propellor or rotor which spins to create the lift in a helicopter (thrust for a plane). In a full size copter its the blades on the top of the copter which spin around, disk parallel to the ground. The motor stick is just the main structural element, usually a simple stick for these competitions, which holds the rubber motor. There's a hook on one end, and a bearing on the other to hold one of the rotors. The wound motor goes between the hook and the shaft of the rotor.

Hope that helps, if I can find more time, I'll try a drawing, but that's definitely NOT my strength.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

My helicopter did pretty well and it weighed 9.5 grams and had a 6in diameter prop.

get wrecked

Postby get wrecked » February 27th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Are plastic and metal commercial bearings allowed?

baker

Postby baker » February 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm

How many seconds is "pretty well"?

get wrecked wrote:

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

lllazar
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Postby lllazar » February 27th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Hi, im new to this kind of event period, and i wanted to do it for state, just for fun....

How do u get the helicopter to fly? Yes stupid question, i know...im guessing u use a rubber band or something and make propellers to keep it in the air....could someone please explain?

And please dont tell me to read the rules, i have read them, and clearly i didnt understand them so im asking you kind people :D
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

get wrecked

Postby get wrecked » March 5th, 2010, 7:49 pm

baker wrote:How many seconds is "pretty well"?

get wrecked wrote:

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

ten seconds

Return to “2010 Build Events”