Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by amerikestrel »

haedy909777 wrote:hey does anyone know any good web sties about biomes?
Go on soinc.org, they have several good websites about biomes. Just a couple posts back somebody gave a few sites as well.
Last edited by amerikestrel on December 29th, 2009, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

amerikestrel wrote: I just thought of something: Does anyone think it odd that ecology is listed under "LIFE, PERSONAL & SOCIAL SCIENCE" on soinc.org? It seems like it would fit much better in "EARTH & SPACE SCIENCE".
Life, Personal and Social Science is just code for Biology. Ecology is the study of the interactions between living organisms and their interaction with the environment. You cover the topic in a biology class. It definitely belongs in the life science category of SO.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

Paradox21 wrote:
amerikestrel wrote: I just thought of something: Does anyone think it odd that ecology is listed under "LIFE, PERSONAL & SOCIAL SCIENCE" on soinc.org? It seems like it would fit much better in "EARTH & SPACE SCIENCE".
Life, Personal and Social Science is just code for Biology. Ecology is the study of the interactions between living organisms and their interaction with the environment. You cover the topic in a biology class. It definitely belongs in the life science category of SO.
Oh, that makes sense.

I'm taking a tryout test in 5 minutes to see if I get onto my school's SO team. It's on ecology. I hope I don't forget anything important at the last minute.
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

I am actually glad that there is a page of notes even tho my schools "A" team will not use the notes. I remember three years ago my school almost took last place in this event.

Can anyone give me advice on teaching Ecology to the members on your team that are interested in the event.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

sweetcoop wrote:I am actually glad that there is a page of notes even tho my schools "A" team will not use the notes. I remember three years ago my school almost took last place in this event.

Can anyone give me advice on teaching Ecology to the members on your team that are interested in the event.
You know, you dont get extra points for not using notes. Your A team should make notes anyway. It's always nice to have, even if they never use em. Try to convince them not to let foolish pride get in the way of winning.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

gneissisnice wrote:
sweetcoop wrote:I am actually glad that there is a page of notes even tho my schools "A" team will not use the notes. I remember three years ago my school almost took last place in this event.

You know, you dont get extra points for not using notes. Your A team should make notes anyway. It's always nice to have, even if they never use em. Try to convince them not to let foolish pride get in the way of winning.
I agree. I always try to make the most of every resource that I can have.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

I have to agree with gneiss. Even the most prepared team can fail if they forget things on competition day. I would bring the note sheet anyways, even if they're not going to use it. Just as insurance, you know.
sweetcoop wrote:Can anyone give me advice on teaching Ecology to the members on your team that are interested in the event.
I would pretend that you're teaching a class and do it that way. I'd also get plenty of notes and problems/questions from the internet, so that the people who are interested can see what the event covers and what the questions would be like.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

gneissisnice wrote:

well more than likely we will have notes prepared but i think i will let my partner in the event do the notes cause my page would be unhelpful. you are right tho saying that we won't use notes is foolish pride.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife »

AlphaTauri wrote:I have to agree with gneiss. Even the most prepared team can fail if they forget things on competition day. I would bring the note sheet anyways, even if they're not going to use it. Just as insurance, you know.
sweetcoop wrote:Can anyone give me advice on teaching Ecology to the members on your team that are interested in the event.
I would pretend that you're teaching a class and do it that way. I'd also get plenty of notes and problems/questions from the internet, so that the people who are interested can see what the event covers and what the questions would be like.
even if people say that ecology would be really easy with a notes sheet, doesn't mean they're gonna ignore it and not make one entirely, that's stupid.
also, sweetcoop, I think I would suggest finding good online powerpoints and teach like a teacher in bio class. make them take their own notes. and then test later.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Liv
State: NY

Post by Liv »

Yeah but don't feed them the information, teach them a bit, then ask a simple question. Good luck.

Return to “2010 Study Events”