Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Ecology B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Ecology B/C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
googlyfrog
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by googlyfrog »

So...grassland and taiga huh?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

This year, going with the emerging trend for study events, we get to bring an 8.5 by 11 sheet of notes into the event. I am a bit stupmed on what to write for it, I have never had problems memorizing things for the event. Suggestions? Maybe info such as precipitation and temperature range in grasslands and taiga.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Paradox21 wrote:This year, going with the emerging trend for study events, we get to bring an 8.5 by 11 sheet of notes into the event.
I was truly upset when I saw this in the manual. I mean it's one thing to have it for something like Dynamic Planet where there are things to calculate and formulas to know, but this is an event where everything is memorization. Very disappointing. I would figure out about 3 or 4 weeks before the competitions what my weak points are and fill my resource page with info on that.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

gyourkoshaven wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:This year, going with the emerging trend for study events, we get to bring an 8.5 by 11 sheet of notes into the event.
I was truly upset when I saw this in the manual. I mean it's one thing to have it for something like Dynamic Planet where there are things to calculate and formulas to know, but this is an event where everything is memorization. Very disappointing. I would figure out about 3 or 4 weeks before the competitions what my weak points are and fill my resource page with info on that.
Yeah, this does make the event a lot easier, which is bad for an event that is so easy already.
I mean, now you can copy down all the nutrient cycles without having to memorize them, along with some other stuff you just dont feel like memorizing.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife »

even though I didn't actually compete in ecology for states or regions, i remember feeling the same way. that it would be waaaayyy easier if we could use a cheat sheet. it would be like we were literally cheating.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Liv
State: NY

Post by Liv »

I'm hopping back into the Scioly world. So can we bring any notes to the Comp.?
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Look 5 posts above you:
Paradox21 wrote:This year, going with the emerging trend for study events, we get to bring an 8.5 by 11 sheet of notes into the event. I am a bit stupmed on what to write for it, I have never had problems memorizing things for the event. Suggestions? Maybe info such as precipitation and temperature range in grasslands and taiga.
Strath Haven MS:

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
crabnebula143

Post by crabnebula143 »

Does anyone have any basic ecology websites you could suggest for a less-experienced person??
:mrgreen:
~ Thanks!
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

For good ecological principles, I highly suggest the Old Dominion course(Taught by Dr. Kilburn according to the course homepage). I think it's the 1st link on Soinc.org's ecology page. Too lazy to link it, tell me if you can't find it.
Strath Haven MS:

Moving to C...

Return to “2010 Study Events”