Ornithology B/C

Locked
User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » November 1st, 2009, 12:08 pm

Paradox21 wrote:I got my rules clarification. You CAN write on the birds list. Section 2, line 5 explicitly states, "(teams may tab the guide and write on
any of these)." That includes the bird list. Now the question would be whether we could take it to the extreme and bring in 3 pages that have the bird list and notes (handwritten) in addition to the cheat sheet.
Does the writing on the back of the bird list have to be handwritten, or can we type it?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 395
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Paradox21 » November 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm

You may create one cheat sheet with notes of any form from any source (typed, handwritten, copied directly from a text book, etc.), you may tab and handwrite in 1 field guide (2 for nationals), you may handwrite on the tabs (but that won't help much because tabs are not post-it sized but instead a small flap or strip of material attached to something, for identification and information.), you may bring one copy of the Official National Bird List and you are free to write handwritten notes on it.
Note: All of this information comes from the 6 FAQs I have submitted through SOinc for Ornithology.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » November 1st, 2009, 12:34 pm

Paradox21 wrote:You may create one cheat sheet with notes of any form from any source (typed, handwritten, copied directly from a text book, etc.), you may tab and handwrite in 1 field guide (2 for nationals), you may handwrite on the tabs (but that won't help much because tabs are not post-it sized but instead a small flap or strip of material attached to something, for identification and information.), you may bring one copy of the Official National Bird List and you are free to write handwritten notes on it.
Note: All of this information comes from the 6 FAQs I have submitted through SOinc for Ornithology.
Thanks.

The only tabs that I have are red, so I wrote a letter on them to help me remember what section of my field guide they are marking. For example, I wrote O on the tab that indicates the pages for owls. Now I have to memorize all of the letters. :(
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

iYOA
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: March 1st, 2008, 7:13 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by iYOA » November 1st, 2009, 2:38 pm

amerikestrel wrote: Thanks.

The only tabs that I have are red, so I wrote a letter on them to help me remember what section of my field guide they are marking. For example, I wrote O on the tab that indicates the pages for owls. Now I have to memorize all of the letters. :(
why dont you just make a key in ur notes page, because i doubt theres enough room to put serious information.


i will use the notes sheet to probably make finding information smoother, and put anatomy, bill and feet diagrams on it
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » November 1st, 2009, 2:55 pm

iYOA wrote:
amerikestrel wrote: Thanks.

The only tabs that I have are red, so I wrote a letter on them to help me remember what section of my field guide they are marking. For example, I wrote O on the tab that indicates the pages for owls. Now I have to memorize all of the letters. :(
why dont you just make a key in ur notes page, because i doubt theres enough room to put serious information.


i will use the notes sheet to probably make finding information smoother, and put anatomy, bill and feet diagrams on it
Good idea, I didn't think about that.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

User avatar
Celeste
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 3:09 pm
Division: C
State: NE
Location: Dreaming of electric sheep.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Celeste » November 1st, 2009, 5:05 pm

So we can write directly in the guide and add written-on tabs, but are we allowed to put other handwritten information in the guides? For example, with Herpetology last year, I wrote notes on post-its and stuck them in my guide. Not as tabs, though, just flat on a page. Does anyone know if something like that would be allowed? It seems like you might be able to bend what's on the rule sheet to make that work, but I'm not positive.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » November 1st, 2009, 5:33 pm

I think that was answered a few pages ago.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

User avatar
Celeste
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 3:09 pm
Division: C
State: NE
Location: Dreaming of electric sheep.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Celeste » November 1st, 2009, 6:52 pm

Deeisenberg wrote:I have had my clarification answered.

You may alter the book only in the following ways:
Written Notes
Drawings
Tabs

NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES!
I've read all of the posts, and the closest I found to answering my question was this. It still doesn't say whether we can write on post-its and then stick them into the field guide, and neither does any other post I found. I don't want to write in the field guide I have right now, because I'm borrowing it from someone, and others might have this problem if they get their guides from the library or something. I suppose I could just have a lot of "tabs" with notes that I could just stick on random pages...
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » November 1st, 2009, 7:00 pm

I wouldn't be able to imagine using a field guide from a library. At least, not from my school's library. The only field guide that they have probably has 10% of the birds that are on the list.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 395
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Paradox21 » November 1st, 2009, 8:22 pm

Celeste wrote:
Deeisenberg wrote:I have had my clarification answered.

You may alter the book only in the following ways:
Written Notes
Drawings
Tabs

NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES!
I've read all of the posts, and the closest I found to answering my question was this. It still doesn't say whether we can write on post-its and then stick them into the field guide, and neither does any other post I found. I don't want to write in the field guide I have right now, because I'm borrowing it from someone, and others might have this problem if they get their guides from the library or something. I suppose I could just have a lot of "tabs" with notes that I could just stick on random pages...
You CAN NOT just add sheets of handwritten notes into your field guide. When Deeisenberg says NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES! that means you may ONLY write in the guide, draw in the guide, and tab the guide. You can not add sheets of paper or post it notes.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Locked

Return to “2010 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest