Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by paleonaps »

Yeah, but if you write in the guide it almost becomes a binder, so they should just cut out the middleman and give us binders.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I wonder if the national test writer felt limited on how difficult they could write the test because we don't have binders. It seemed like the vast majority of the info was in my field guide before I had even written anything in.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

paleonaps95 wrote:Yeah, but if you write in the guide it almost becomes a binder, so they should just cut out the middleman and give us binders.
i dont want binders, w/o them, it lets the teams that actually know stuff win instead of who can look up all answers the fastest, and dont say the list is too long, cauz besides females, the birds all look completely different, and if they wanted it to be realistic i think the ppt should have the bird picture moving constantly and if u really know the calls u dont need more then 10 seconds for any of them except maybe to tell mockingbird/cardinal/brown thrasher apart
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
fossilgirl13
Division: C
State: OH

Post by fossilgirl13 »

My team only has one coach, and it seems to me that all the teams that place well and advance to higher levels have M0RE THAN ONE COACH. My team only has one coach and I she can't provide for each and every event because there is only one of her and 18 of us (including subs) and 23 events. I was wondering who these extra coaches are (I mean, does the school hire them from outside the school or are they just other teachers) and if you're on a team like I've mentioned, does this work for you (from what I've seen, it appears to work)? I'm not trying to steal secrets or anything like that, I just really want to know how to improve my team (a lot of them are really down after we didn't do so well at states).
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 :D :D
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

fossilgirl13 wrote:My team only has one coach, and it seems to me that all the teams that place well and advance to higher levels have M0RE THAN ONE COACH. My team only has one coach and I she can't provide for each and every event because there is only one of her and 18 of us (including subs) and 23 events. I was wondering who these extra coaches are (I mean, does the school hire them from outside the school or are they just other teachers) and if you're on a team like I've mentioned, does this work for you (from what I've seen, it appears to work)? I'm not trying to steal secrets or anything like that, I just really want to know how to improve my team (a lot of them are really down after we didn't do so well at states).
We have one coach, one of the science teachers at our school, but lots of other people who help out. Many of the other teachers help us organize and find resources. Student teachers also help us out a lot, and so do graduates who used to be on the team. However, this doesn't seem to be very ornithology related, maybe you should ask in general chat or something if you want more feedback.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

Celeste wrote:
fossilgirl13 wrote:My team only has one coach, and it seems to me that all the teams that place well and advance to higher levels have M0RE THAN ONE COACH. My team only has one coach and I she can't provide for each and every event because there is only one of her and 18 of us (including subs) and 23 events. I was wondering who these extra coaches are (I mean, does the school hire them from outside the school or are they just other teachers) and if you're on a team like I've mentioned, does this work for you (from what I've seen, it appears to work)? I'm not trying to steal secrets or anything like that, I just really want to know how to improve my team (a lot of them are really down after we didn't do so well at states).
We have one coach, one of the science teachers at our school, but lots of other people who help out. Many of the other teachers help us organize and find resources. Student teachers also help us out a lot, and so do graduates who used to be on the team. However, this doesn't seem to be very ornithology related, maybe you should ask in general chat or something if you want more feedback.
Our middle school team has three coaches who are three of the four eighth grade science teachers there. However, we always get help from our school's industrial tech/structures and mechanisms teacher for building events and every so often our robotics teacher. For other events we also ask the 7th grade and even highschool science teachers for help. For events that used to be for C Division, we ask the highschool coach to come. I also remember having the captain of the robotics team two years ago to help out with Robo-Cross.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Chikuwa

Post by Chikuwa »

So, I'm doing this event for the first time in the 2010-2011 season (haha, this sounds like I'm talking about sports...). I've read through this entire topic, and I haven't found an answer to this question: what types of calls will we be tested on? Must we know both female and male call, mating call, etc? If it is completely open as to what type, as some people have suggested, could anyone tell me what type they have been tested on in the past?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

The rules do not specify what types of calls can be used, therefore any call is fair game.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Chikuwa

Post by Chikuwa »

Thanks. Do you have any experience on which calls are more commonly used? Or is there no real pattern?
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Usually, the call that is most common is used. From my experience.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Return to “2010 Study Events”