Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by gneissisnice »

Wow, that's a lot of birds.
Instinct is telling me to memorize them all, right now, but alas, I've graduated and can no longer do scio.
/sad.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
crabnebula143
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by crabnebula143 »

Does anyone know any bird calls website? thanks!
:D
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
googlyfrog
Division: C

Post by googlyfrog »

crabnebula143 wrote:Does anyone know any bird calls website? thanks!
this might be good: http://www.enature.com/birding/audio.asp. not sure, though. i haven't checked it out yet myself.
crabnebula143

Post by crabnebula143 »

googlyfrog wrote:
crabnebula143 wrote:Does anyone know any bird calls website? thanks!
this might be good: http://www.enature.com/birding/audio.asp. not sure, though. i haven't checked it out yet myself.
Thank you so much! :mrgreen:
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife »

soobsession wrote:if theyre going to only allow a field guide, im going to be very mad. :|
but I would have to say relying on ONLY a binder is very weak, and most of the time doesn't allow for a lot of studying for this many species and information. We'll just have to make do with what they allow.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

sewforlife wrote:
soobsession wrote:if theyre going to only allow a field guide, im going to be very mad. :|
but I would have to say relying on ONLY a binder is very weak, and most of the time doesn't allow for a lot of studying for this many species and information. We'll just have to make do with what they allow.
Anyone who takes the time to make a truly fantastic binder will not be relying on it alone. The sort of people who would only rely on their binder are the same people who would only rely on their field guide. Making an excellent binder requires well over 100 work hours. If you put that much time into your binder, you are really studying at the same time. To make an excellent binder means that you need to know what your doing, and making a good binder in the process leads to you knowing what your doing. Making a good binder is studying, I stand by that.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

Deeisenberg wrote:
sewforlife wrote:
Anyone who takes the time to make a truly fantastic binder will not be relying on it alone. The sort of people who would only rely on their binder are the same people who would only rely on their field guide. Making an excellent binder requires well over 100 work hours. If you put that much time into your binder, you are really studying at the same time. To make an excellent binder means that you need to know what your doing, and making a good binder in the process leads to you knowing what your doing. Making a good binder is studying, I stand by that.
you can say that again. sew: in all honesty, i used my binder like twice during competition... :?

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

If we're allowed both a field guide and a binder, I think the teams that succeed at this will be the ones that can correctly balance the use of both resources. If you lean too heavily on one over the other, I don't think you'll do as well. One of the most difficult things would be finding the right information to put in the binder, so as to have as much information as possible, but not so much that finding the right fact is hard.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

Celeste wrote:If we're allowed both a field guide and a binder, I think the teams that succeed at this will be the ones that can correctly balance the use of both resources. If you lean too heavily on one over the other, I don't think you'll do as well. One of the most difficult things would be finding the right information to put in the binder, so as to have as much information as possible, but not so much that finding the right fact is hard.
Honestly I completely disagree. If you truly make a magnificent binder, it should have ALL of the useful information from all available field guide resources. This can then be condensed to the point where the field guide is really no longer very useful. For instance in Fossils this 08-09, as well as in Herpetology 07-08, we really didn't use our field guides at all, in herpetology I doubt we used it once, despite this we came in 2nd and 1st respectively at Nationals. We did on occasion use the field guide for herpetology, but that was only because it we put a quick reference sheet for fossil ranges on the cover.

Note: I am not bringing up our placings for the purpose of bragging, I actually really hate it when people do that. The only reason I mention it is because it is a clear example that supports my point against the statement that "I think the teams that succeed at this will be the ones that can correctly balance the use of both resources".
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

I would like to point out that the removal of binders from events is not unprecedented and in fact has been a general trend. For instance I believe that dynamic planet used to allow a binder but that this has recently been changed.

However, I agree with deeisenburg that binders should be allowed. My arguments for this are virtually all the same as deeisenburg's so there isn't much point reiterating them.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th

Return to “2010 Study Events”