Ornithology B/C

Sonatina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Sonatina »

I haven't really been having trouble with space, to tell you the truth... I mean, we're allowed to type up our notes, right? I've got Peterson's guide, and I'm using abbreviations to fit behavior pattern, habitat, nesting location, nest type, number of eggs, egg color, bird weight and wingspan, conservation category, and interesting random facts (if there are any) about each bird on my cheat sheet. I've also got some misc. anatomy and ecology stuff on there. Then again, my partner and I are splitting up the list, so this is really just like one side of the cheat sheet, used for the back side (with the passeriformes) of the birds list.
Idk, I feel like everything else I can memorize. What are you guys lacking space for? Now I'm scared I'm forgetting lots of stuff.

(if I were short on space, I would write on the non-glossy pages in the front and back of my field guide. I hope it doesn't come to that though.)
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

Celeste wrote:
sciolygrl258 wrote:Can you have alot of tabs on one page with info on them? :?
That could theoretically be a loophole, because you are allowed to write on the tabs. You could just write a couple of words on each tab that make up a whole sentence, as long as they're technically still little tabs, and just have a zillion. You would have to make sure they stick out so that they function as tabs. Anyone else think this is legit? Or I might just be being ridiculous...
It is not legit, not really. While technically the rules and clarification would allow this, it is truly against the spirit of the rules, and a judge could and likely would not allow it. You ARE allowed to write inside your field guide. There is no reason to do that, write smaller.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
SO4L
State: IL

Post by SO4L »

imagine this loophole:

one tapes blank pages of paper on unnecessary portions of the field guide and then writes on them.

is that legit?
2010 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 2nd, 11th
Picture This - 7th, 16h
Ecology - 6th, 15th
Mission Possible - 1st, 12th

2011 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 6th, 9th
Towers - 2nd, 16th
Protein Modeling - 1st, 6th
Mission Possible - 1st, 9th
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

SO4L wrote:imagine this loophole:

one tapes blank pages of paper on unnecessary portions of the field guide and then writes on them.

is that legit?
That is not legit at all. It's not even a loophole. The rules say you may tab the guide and you may write in the guide. You can not tape large sheets of blank paper into the guide. They are not tabs.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
duckiegirl2
Division: C
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 »

Agreed. Has anyone found a better method to make notes for each bird than just finding the bird and writing stuff down?
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

duckiegirl2 wrote:Agreed. Has anyone found a better method to make notes for each bird than just finding the bird and writing stuff down?
umm...flashcards? or is that the same thing as taking notes...?

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

crazy77

Post by crazy77 »

how do you tell the difference between a young killdeer and a piping plover?
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

crazy77 wrote:how do you tell the difference between a young killdeer and a piping plover?
Piping plover is not on the national list. You should check allaboutbirds.org ID sections.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
crazy77

Post by crazy77 »

Deeisenberg wrote:
crazy77 wrote:how do you tell the difference between a young killdeer and a piping plover?
Piping plover is not on the national list. You should check allaboutbirds.org ID sections.
I know, but the piping plover is on the New York state list nd so i need to know it. Allaboutbirds didn't rlly help
w0607858
Division: B
State: TX

Post by w0607858 »

Hey can anyone tell me a good website that contains some quizzes/tests made so that you don't gave to sort them out from the ones on the list?
the one on thw Wiki has no key...
MWAHAHAHAHA I'm taking over the world one cheesy snack at a time and there's nothing anybody can do to stop me!!!

Return to “2010 Study Events”