Ornithology B/C

fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by fmtiger124 »

NYS just released a modified birds lists its going to be using. Not sure what the differences are because I'm not doing the even but heres a link:
http://newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Ornithology2010.pdf
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

Does the Sibley guide have all of the birds? That's the only one that I have right now.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by Deeisenberg »

twmurphso wrote:well, if the smithsonian has ALL of the birds, i would rather get that. Plus, theres not a lot (well less than 50% they say) of species-genus identification, mostly characteristics and random things pertaining to the overall group. That would be much harder to fit on a page.
i also found really informational books lik the Sibley nd Audobon which are huge but they're not FIELD GUIDES used for scouting, but instead they're lik, encyclopedias.
Does it have to be a FIELD GUIDE, or can the book just be a guide to birds....?
The number of questions on identification are rarely (though even though it is in the rules, I wouldn't say never) more than half the test. However, questions about a bird that you have identified in the question immediately preceding along with identification make up the bulk of almost all tests.

If you can't identify the bird, you won't get the questions about the bird right.

And no, you probably can't use an "encyclopedia". You can submit a rule clarification if you want, but they will tell you that you can only use a field guide. The main Sibley's (the one labeled a guide to birds) should be acceptable. If you are talking about the Sibley's guide to bird behavior (it's something like that) then no, that would almost certainly not be allowed.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
duckiegirl2
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 »

'At Regional and State tournaments, teams may bring one published field giudem the three page Official National Bird List and one 8.5" by 11" two sided page of notes that contain information in any form from any source (teams may tab the guide and write on any of these) At the national tournament teams will be allowed to use two field guides. No other resources, electronic devices, or printed labels allowed." This is from the rules!!
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

Deeisenberg wrote:The main Sibley's (the one labeled a guide to birds) should be acceptable. If you are talking about the Sibley's guide to bird behavior (it's something like that) then no, that would almost certainly not be allowed.
Yes, it's this one: http://www.sibleyguides.com/sibleyguide.htm

Also, is it more important to study characteristics of different birds (range, diet, etc.) or to be able to identify them? I know it says in the rules that there will be 50% of each, but I'm guessing that it's more important to study the bird characteristics because we can use a field guide. But we can also have a page of notes...
Last edited by amerikestrel on December 29th, 2009, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

I found a good web resource: http://www.whatbird.com/ You just search for the bird and scroll past the zillion ads for their iPhone app, and it's got pictures, a description, and call samples of whatever bird you searched for. I've been using it to work on the calls.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

do all states have to have a modified list? or does it depend on how nice each state is?? cuz i just got the partial list and im freaking out about all these birds and half of my group is not really willing to work...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

Celeste wrote:I found a good web resource: http://www.whatbird.com/ You just search for the bird and scroll past the zillion ads for their iPhone app, and it's got pictures, a description, and call samples of whatever bird you searched for. I've been using it to work on the calls.
Have you seen the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's website? (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/) It's more or less the same idea, but is seems to have more information and photos, and less ads.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

soobsession wrote:do all states have to have a modified list? or does it depend on how nice each state is?? cuz i just got the partial list and im freaking out about all these birds and half of my group is not really willing to work...
Half of your group? Aren't only two people allowed to an event per team?
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

amerikestrel wrote: Have you seen the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's website? (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/) It's more or less the same idea, but is seems to have more information and photos, and less ads.
Awesome! I was really getting sick of seeing stuff about their app. :lol: Thanks a bunch!

Also, on the official S O website, they posted a link to a training handout and a powerpoint on the ornithology page.
http://soinc.org/ornithology_c
I read through the training handout and it seems to be pretty useful!
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

Return to “2010 Study Events”