Ornithology B/C

duckiegirl2
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by duckiegirl2 » November 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm

Are you sure it's reduced?, because I don't think they can do that.
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap

duckiegirl2
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 » November 3rd, 2009, 6:18 pm

Also, Everyone, if you just look at the rules page, it has all of the qualifications on it.

*you didn't have to ask all these questions*
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap

Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste » November 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Has anyone else noticed that on the national list, the New World Vultures are listed under Ciconiiformes? Ciconiiformes are things like Herons, Bitterns, Ibises, and Spoonbills, as in, things not like vultures.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » November 5th, 2009, 2:52 am

Celeste wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on the national list, the New World Vultures are listed under Ciconiiformes? Ciconiiformes are things like Herons, Bitterns, Ibises, and Spoonbills, as in, things not like vultures.
That was the most common classification from sometime in the 90's until quite recently, based on DNA studies showing that New World Vultures were closely related to storks. Some people have called those studies into question, however, and I believe most experts now put the New World Vultures in their own order Cathartiformes, although some have moved them back to the Falconiformes.

Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste » November 5th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Flavorflav wrote:
Celeste wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on the national list, the New World Vultures are listed under Ciconiiformes? Ciconiiformes are things like Herons, Bitterns, Ibises, and Spoonbills, as in, things not like vultures.
That was the most common classification from sometime in the 90's until quite recently, based on DNA studies showing that New World Vultures were closely related to storks. Some people have called those studies into question, however, and I believe most experts now put the New World Vultures in their own order Cathartiformes, although some have moved them back to the Falconiformes.
Thanks, I was wondering why all my resources said something different! So if we have to say what order it's in on a test, we should probably go with what the national list says. Fascinating...
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife » November 7th, 2009, 8:30 am

duckiegirl2 wrote:Are you sure it's reduced?, because I don't think they can do that.
it definitely says that is allowed.
"States may have a modified state or regional list"
can someone help me on this note: on wikipedia it says that the Common Pauraque doesn't nest, but on this: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Comm ... ifehistory
it says they nest on the ground.
if they do nest on the ground, does that mean they actually build a nest and leave it on the ground?
thanks
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM

soobsession

Post by soobsession » November 7th, 2009, 1:07 pm

meh...i wont trust wikipedia on everything if i were you.

and yeah, states are allowed to modify the list...just seems like our state is too lazy to :x

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav » November 7th, 2009, 2:06 pm

sewforlife wrote:
duckiegirl2 wrote:Are you sure it's reduced?, because I don't think they can do that.
it definitely says that is allowed.
"States may have a modified state or regional list"
can someone help me on this note: on wikipedia it says that the Common Pauraque doesn't nest, but on this: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Comm ... ifehistory
it says they nest on the ground.
if they do nest on the ground, does that mean they actually build a nest and leave it on the ground?
thanks
Wiki says "no nest is made," which is not the same thing as not nesting. The website you linked to also says "no nest structure," so there is no contradiction. As in the vast majority of cases I have seen, Wikipedia is borne out by other authorities.

twmurphso
Division: B

Post by twmurphso » November 7th, 2009, 3:05 pm

yea, i know the states are allowed to reduce the list, but are you allowed to bring in the reduced list?...the rules say only the national bird list is allowed.
My state's list is 3 pages (but still shortened), so i had room to write on the extra marginal space :D
Does the list you bring (Nat or State) matter?

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel » November 7th, 2009, 3:16 pm

twmurphso wrote:yea, i know the states are allowed to reduce the list, but are you allowed to bring in the reduced list?...the rules say only the national bird list is allowed.
My state's list is 3 pages (but still shortened), so i had room to write on the extra marginal space :D
Does the list you bring (Nat or State) matter?
I would expect that you would be able to bring the state list instead of the national one, despite what the rules say. But I would ask them for a clarification if I were you. You wouldn't want to be disqualified for a simple thing like that.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

Return to “2010 Study Events”