Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by paleonaps »

I hope not..... it should always change a little, at least.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

paleonaps95 wrote:I hope not..... it should always change a little, at least.
I agree. I think that they should add about 30 extra taxon every year in ID events, taking away few, if any. However, generally, they don't, especially in Geo IDs.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Yeah, and it sucks. I still stick with my original plan.... although I am biased. (I love verts, especially dinosaurs).
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

speaking of fossils, i was so happy today; while working at arts and crafts at my camp, i noticed a pile of decorative seashells, i saw cypraeas and worthenias and others :D :D I was so excited, and everyone was looking at me so weirdly :?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

When i went to the beach a 2 weeks ago, i was looking for sea shells...as i went farther out from the coast, they got bigger. Eventually, i was digging a foot into the sand underneath the water, and i actually found a live conus. As i picked it up i saw it's "foot" and it's beady little eyes. As i got it out the water, it got it's foot on my arm seemed to jump back into the water, but i got it, and it was definitely some species of conus. I looked at it for a few seconds and let it back into the water...i'd do anything for that shell, but it was beautiful to see something that's alive after seeing so many shells.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

lllazar wrote:When i went to the beach a 2 weeks ago, i was looking for sea shells...as i went farther out from the coast, they got bigger. Eventually, i was digging a foot into the sand underneath the water, and i actually found a live conus. As i picked it up i saw it's "foot" and it's beady little eyes. As i got it out the water, it got it's foot on my arm seemed to jump back into the water, but i got it, and it was definitely some species of conus. I looked at it for a few seconds and let it back into the water...i'd do anything for that shell, but it was beautiful to see something that's alive after seeing so many shells.
I was just in South Carolina and did the same thing. It was almost haunting. Every time I found a shell (approximately every 3 seconds) I was compelled to identify it.
Call me coach.
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

jazzy009 wrote:
lllazar wrote:When i went to the beach a 2 weeks ago, i was looking for sea shells...as i went farther out from the coast, they got bigger. Eventually, i was digging a foot into the sand underneath the water, and i actually found a live conus. As i picked it up i saw it's "foot" and it's beady little eyes. As i got it out the water, it got it's foot on my arm seemed to jump back into the water, but i got it, and it was definitely some species of conus. I looked at it for a few seconds and let it back into the water...i'd do anything for that shell, but it was beautiful to see something that's alive after seeing so many shells.
I was just in South Carolina and did the same thing. It was almost haunting. Every time I found a shell (approximately every 3 seconds) I was compelled to identify it.
Haha yes, yes...i think i found like 50 bivalve shells, a lot of them were pretty big.
2011 Season Events~

fossilgirl4ever
State: NC

Post by fossilgirl4ever »

So, these shells we are seeing at the beach are not fossils, right? They are just modern versions of the genuses we learned. Like, there are a lot of shells that remind me of turritella... but none of them are actually turritella I think. And the same with conus... did it go extinct or did you actually see one?
2011 Events: Regionals- Fossils 1st, Ornithology 2nd, Remote Sensing 1st, Food Science (NC) 3rd

Brother: We are learning about coordinate grids in math class.
Me: Oh, that's like the beginning of life!!
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

fossilgirl4ever wrote:So, these shells we are seeing at the beach are not fossils, right? They are just modern versions of the genuses we learned. Like, there are a lot of shells that remind me of turritella... but none of them are actually turritella I think. And the same with conus... did it go extinct or did you actually see one?
Im pretty sure conus are still alive...as are turritella. But not these are technically fossils, but hey there shells...
2011 Season Events~

hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

they are living fossils, like 'Lingula'. im not a fan. i have masses of shells at home and, unlike my fossils, i do not enjoy sorting and grouping and stashing them. is there a shellfish event? if so i have my own personal study kit ;)
DFTBA

Return to “2010 Study Events”